Software
Houzz Logo Print
22k22

Anyone reduce White Dove by 25% or 50% in their home?

9 years ago

Our windows and accordion doors are in. I went with White Dove interior color thinking that is what my kitchen cabinets and trim would be. Problem is, it looks a bit dingy next to my princess white quartzite sample. I need to use something close enough to white dove to go with the window and door trim, but would like to make it a tad lighter. I got white dove samples in both 25% reduced and 50% reduced, and honestly can't figure out if it changes the overall color or if the 25% just isn't much of a difference at all.

I was thinking maybe do 25% reduced for cabinets and trim and 50% reduced for ceiling? Or 50% reduced for all, just in different finishes. I swear my eyes just aren't working anymore. It all looks the same to me. :( I need to order cabinets in a day or two!

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You don't do that with whites. There is almost no pigment to speak of in them to begin with. Reducing the amount of a neglible pigment leads to neglible differences.

  • 9 years ago

    if you want plain old white, then just get it untinted. buy the can right off the shelf. It's a pure white.

  • 9 years ago

    I used a custom cut white for enamel and it is a pain when it is time for buying a touch up can etc. I would suggest picking an entirely new cabinet color that would complement your existing trim or switch out the counter choice.

  • 9 years ago

    Sophie, I do have a quick question, I was under the impression that the many different whites were created by adding small amounts of pigment to a white base. If say a white which is normally mixed with 20 drops of black and 10 drops of yellow was to be reduced by 50% it would then have 10 drops black and 5 drops yellow, so essentially the same color just "whiter".... or is it not that simple?

  • 9 years ago

    why don't you try the straight white off the shelf? if you don't like it, take it back and have them do your 50%. but honestly, it's such a negligible amount, that you'll barely see the difference. or if the white dove is too dingy, then why not choose a different white? I use the un-tinted white on all my trim, ceiling, baseboards, and it looks fine. just looks like white. no green, blue or yellow undertone.

    maybe this will help

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for all that info, beth! But my main problem is that we just had all of our super expensive windows and accordion doors installed with White Dove as a factory-done interior paint color on their trim. So If I paint my kitchen cabinets (which have 3 large windows within the rectangle run of uppers) a very different color from White Dove, then the windows with their White Dove trim will look dingy compared to a bright plain white. Does that make sense? No way are we painting over the existing factory-done trim on our brand new windows and doors... so the white needs to be very similar to that White Dove color.

  • 9 years ago

    Can you make a change to the counter?

  • 9 years ago

    I can, but the thought of it just hurts. It was so hard to find that Princess White quartzite and it is AMAZING. *cry*

    I've read on some of the White Dove kitchen examples here that White Dove is actually one of the few whites that blends well with both bright whites and off whites. I've been looking at pics of it in kitchens with what I assume is a plain white farmhouse sink and it looks like different whites but not in a bad way. Maybe it will be the same for the quartzite.

  • 9 years ago

    22k22 can you show a pic of your Princess White quartzite, I am on a quest for a white quartzite for my new kitchen and can only find Super White and on house people are saying thats a Marble. I can't have Marble as my husband is not that careful. I am driving 100 miles to see some Crystal Ice but the Super White is beautiful and my fabricator is telling me it is quartzite so I will be going to do the glass tile test on it. I would love to see a pic of yours if you have it.

  • 9 years ago

    22K22, I think you'll get the kind of advice you're looking for on the GardenWeb Home Decorating Forum. Try posting the same question there. I actually think I've already seen someone ask that question there. Lots of helpful experience, and White Dove fans too :-)

    22k22 thanked sportycatriley
  • 7 years ago

    Hey! I know this is an old post but I am very curious what you ended up doing. we are in a very similar situation right now with a kitchen remodel. We have picked out White Princess countertops but had painted all the trim throughout our house White Dove two years ago. I assumed our cabinets would be the same but am worried the White Dove will be too yellow against the White Princess. Would love to hear how it all worked out for you!!