Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom

Help with couch fabric

mojomom
6 years ago

I'm in a quandary selecting fabric for our couches. Below is a Moodboard with the rug, flooring, fireplace stone (and several fabric options (left and top) along with a bit of DH's recliner in the leather he chose. If none of these work, I can post other options or the whole line is at rcfurniture.com.

Here is the living area painted and the entertainment center just installed -- the top will be a honed dark gray/black stone. Beam, case and base will be a relatively dark brown.
Better picture of the flooring before it was covered.

I'm suffering from decision fatigue and would appreciate your help!

Comments (19)

• blfenton
    6 years ago

I do like the blue fabric in the lower left hand corner and would like it in an occasional chair or perhaps a matching pair but the rest of the fabrics just seem a little uninteresting given the other things you've chosen. Unless you just want to mute down the furniture to let other things take center stage.

Do you have ideas for artwork. lighting, window treatments, etc.

mojomom thanked blfenton
  • mojomom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Window treatments, if any, are undecided. Views are really nice and privacy shouldn't be an issue. Regarding artwork we will probably use this above the fireplace, it is large and should work well.

Lighting besides the cans will be this ceiling fan along with various table lamps and propbably a floor lamp (hoping to use ones we already have, mostly in bronze tones.

We are pretty eclectic. Since it's an open plan, we're having a custom table made for the dining area with this as the metal base and darkish wood top.

Parsons style side chairs in a muted black and cream small Greek key pattern (comes off grayish) and dove gray leather head chairs.

Coffee table is also rustic metal with a glass top.

With these modern touches, we will mix in a few antique Jacobean pieces (sideboard and side tables). I think these are rustic enough to play well with the overall look.

I'll edit to add a pic of the bar stools we've ordered.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

I envision the room then as being a grey and rustic look and then the red rug on the floor with textures adding interest.

The fabric that I like might be a little much with the other elements and the one above it might be a better option. Something needs to tie the rug into the rest of them room. I would stay away from the browns and anymore greys.

i sure hope others chime in with ideas.

mojomom thanked blfenton
  • House Vixen
    6 years ago

Hi Mojomom --

What a striking space! I bet the views are amazing through those windows.

So I'm sensing you all are looking to create an overall muted-color space that's mostly deep shades against the light walls?

I would love to see cognac or bronze for the couch; either'd look great with the rug. A very deep blue (less bright than the one you show) would be next on my "favorites" list -- but you all are the ones living there!

mojomom thanked House Vixen
  • mojomom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm, I hadn't thought of cognac-- will do some looking. Yes, I think you are sensing the look we are going for. I probably do need to stay away from more gray too. What would you thing of a caramel? These's a bit of that in the rug and a good deal in the stone. Might have to revisit the recliner color though -- maybe even a charcoal (yes, more grey, but might work with caramel. I can bring in some blues to tie in the rug with pillows, I think. But I'll definitely look at a cognac,

• House Vixen
    6 years ago

Me again --

Yes, caramel would be great to explore too. Basically any warm shade that complements your rug and plays off the grays could be really interesting.

Good luck and keep us posted!

mojomom thanked House Vixen
  • mojomom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Playing with a really dark blue couch "ink" and a caramel recliner? Love the Kyle Bunting hide pillow I found locking at another thread (but may be really pricey). Btw, the couch comes with nailhead trim (or not). I'm thinking a pewter naildead will tie in the other metals in the room.

Oh, and here are the barstools we have ordered:

• pban730
    6 years ago

I love your picks so far and it is going to be beautiful. I recently redid our family room. My husband also has a brown leather chair that was staying in the mix. For the couch I kept it a simple fabric. It is almost a very creamy green/grey, Sounds unattractive but it is more lively than it seems. It is a woven fabric so the texture gives it more life. I like the idea of keeping the sofa simple and playing then with the fabrics of the pillows. Sometimes I am feeling a floral or plaid but as for now I have a navy geometric and also a navy medallion print on ivory. There is also another chair I had slipcovered in a beauty strip. They look wonderful together, light airy look. yet it handles my herd of six wonderfully. Best of luck!

mojomom thanked pban730
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Or Crate & Barrel cotton?

mojomom thanked just_terrilynn
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Since the rug adds the brightness, I like the more muted neutrals like the upper left or an oatmeal (grey-beige) tweed. Then accent with the caramel or bronze and dark navy combination to bring in the navy if you like that. Maybe even another navy chair.

I must say here that I'm not a big fan of a lot of blue, so take my comments with that in mind. I just think a big blue sofa might (1) fade over time when you have a big window nearby and (2) be something you'd be tired of looking at in a few years.

Beautiful room, by the way.

mojomom thanked OutsidePlaying
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

I really like the caramel as it helps to tie in the two of the biggest elements in the room being the rug and the stone.

mojomom thanked blfenton
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Love your choices so far. Who makes the ceiling fan?

mojomom thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • mojomom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bumble -- the fan is by minka aire.

thanks to all!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Love that pillow with the orange, can you tell me the source please.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Yaya - I did an image search on the pillow, and it looks like it's only available at Anthropologie STORES, as the link shows several designs under the same name of Heradia.

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/heradia-pillow

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Yep, that's where I found it!

• House Vixen
    6 years ago

Mojomom --

Just saw this and thought of you re color combos under discussion. I know the recliner would take up a bit more leather, ha, but note the floors are even similar to your walls/ceiling. Booze over food color name: "Whiskey."

Lounge Sofa · More Info

• Christy Reves
    6 years ago

Above picture is exactly what I had in mind in suggesting couch color. I think your space screams leather couch. I would then suggest open back chairs in a lush velvet or saddle blanket print. White/grey would be stunning . I am so jealous of your new home. How fun! It is beautiful.