Software
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_brown25

What size Dining Table

9 years ago
My dining room is 13×10. What size Dining Table should I get? Is it big enough to seat 8??

Comments (41)

  • 9 years ago
    Generally speaking, you want to have 3 ft between the table and all walls to accommodate for pushing chairs away from the table as guests stand. so if your room is 10x13, you'd want a table no larger than 4x7. which is plenty of room for 8 people. if you're looking for a round table, max diameter of 4', but rectangular would probably work better for your space
  • 9 years ago

    http://dinahollandinteriors.com/home-decor-tips-infographics-cheat-sheets/

    Here is a helpful guide I used when purchasing my dining room table.

  • 9 years ago
    I'd take 6 ft off both dimensions for max table size 7x4, which probably means an 84x42" table. You can seat 8... make sure the table legs are set up so 8 chairs will fit beneath.
  • 9 years ago

    For a seating area around a dining table to feel comfortable and not cramped, 36 inches between the table edge and walls (or obstructions such as a sideboard or similar on the wall) is the best option to provide room for guests to enter and exit their chairs. In areas where others need to walk behind seated guests as in an open entry or similar 54 to 60 inches is a good space.

  • 9 years ago
    Porter makes a good point. There may not be room for additional items like a sideboard in your dining room.
  • 9 years ago

    In an area that size I don't see seating 8 ppl. You could do an extension table so when need be you can extend... however, a table to seat 8 is not going to work well in this size room unless it's cramped.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you all so much! We are a family of 5 and so a 6 person table for every day function is great. To at least have the option of extending the table to accommodate 8 would be ideal when having family over, which is often.
  • 9 years ago
    It's currently a catch all room as we purge!
  • 9 years ago
    I ran across this piece, and LOVE it! What style of table would you get? Does the table need to be black??
  • 9 years ago

    Are your considering it for the dining area? What is the width of it from the wall outward? I would think you might have a bistro table??? What are the dimensions?

  • 9 years ago
    It's 22in from the wall.
  • 9 years ago
    Yes, considering it for the formal dining room.
  • 9 years ago

    36" would be the minimum you would want between a a table and a sideboard or any obstruction. That is the minimum and very cramped and in your area it is to me very cramped and not a pretty room.

    You might consider 48" distance ideal given your room space. Try a long slim and narrow console with legs and maybe one other shelf other than the top shelf and legs on the table to give it more of a spacious look if you want something to place things upon when serving and so on too keep the room from being cramped or heavy.

    Think about people trying to get from their chair to get up from the table and, "push back" if you will to exit their chair. It won't work from the dimensions you have shown.

    It's a nice piece, but you need to keep the room nice and spacious. It's your formal dining area. It's my opinion and others may differ here and I respect that.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. I thought it was likely too big for the space. Any suggestions for paint color? layout? My main living spaces are BM Revere Pewter. We have used some deep bluish grays also.
  • 9 years ago
    Here are a few ideas I have!
  • 9 years ago

    This is a beautiful room you've shown as inspiration. Just keep in mind your table would be close to half this size as your chandelier and so on... I have this photo in my files, I do love it. The room is only 13x10, but you can use the inspirational photos to fill the room with items you like as long as they fit and are not cramped.


  • 9 years ago

    I just saw your question about color for the room. You might wait until you know what you are putting in the room to maximize the beauty of it with paint. No hurry... once you know what you have ordered for a table color/tone and chairs you can better find a wall color same or similar to what is in the other room.

  • 9 years ago
    I came across this table set today. I think it will work. (just the table and chairs) Diminsions are 79x43.
  • 9 years ago

    72" would work ok and no more than 4 ft wide IMO... yet? I think you are picking items that are too large if you want to have a console/serving table and have people able to get in and out of their chairs... also, consider the doorway/entryway in to the room.

  • 9 years ago
    We don't necessarily need a console or server as we are directly off the kitchen and likely wouldn't use it except for decoration.
  • 9 years ago

    If you don't intend to add any other pieces other than art and so on for the walls... it would be ok.

    Table shouldn't be more then 25% of the room size for comfortable seating.

  • 9 years ago
    I also found this one that I love. It is 79x43 with 2 optional leaves.
  • 9 years ago
    Would love your opinions on chairs. I luke both the grey and the linen. Would you choose one over the other? Or mix them?
  • 9 years ago

    Crystal, if it has a leaf(s) then you can extend it when you need to and it's the best option. You wouldn't want it to be at 79" on a daily basis IMO, it's a bit too large and will make the room look less pretty/heavy.

    I do the live linen or canvas style covered chairs... mixing is nice.

    Trestle tables typically make it hard to put chairs at the head of the table, however so it will work so just sit at the table to know for sure that your legs have plenty of room for that option. Try to stick with a slipcovered chair that is not too bulky. I would do slips at the head and other around.


    https://www.houzz.com/products/french-heritage-geraldine-slip-cover-side-chair-prvw-vr~62129128

    Something like above that isn't super thick in appearance. I personally would avoid the bow tie in the back or ties in the back... it's just preference....

    Then some nice chairs that are not oversized because the room is on the smaller side and when you extend it will make matters worse with a lot of people at the table.


    If you order them once you get your table, make sure the seat is high enough for the table... usually will be if sold as a, "dining chair" yet, I would be sure you check it if getting them on line :)


    Something along the lines of this:

    You can find similar in different colored fabrics.

    Medallion Side Chair by Zentique Inc.

    Wayfair.com

    I love the British look cane back on this.



    One you pick a table you'll better know the chair though.


  • 9 years ago

    ANY chair such as the above would be very heavy in the room at 13x10 with a 79 with the table even when not fully extended... try to keep them less bulky. I think in most cases avoiding tufting as that generally means more heft and bulk. Nail heads, not the best in my opinion.

    too bulky as well... it will be easy to find the right chair once you have the table. I do the slips at the head of the table though in a linen tone!

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for all of the input! Who knew so much goes into a dining room! I do love the second chair you shared. Where did you find it??
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You can see how to decide on your sizes in table or rug here

    https://www.shinerugs.com/faqs

    good luck!

    John

  • 9 years ago

    Snellville Parsons Chairby One Allium Way

  • 9 years ago

    It was Wayfair.....The Snellville

  • 9 years ago
    So I've narrowed down to 2 tables. One is 79× 43 without any option to extend, but can accommodate 8 comfortably. (Will not use 8 every day, but on occasion.) The other is 76×42 with two 18" leaf (s ). Both allow for the 36+" space between wall and chairs. Granted, the 2nd one with even 1 leaf in will be snug, but it wouldn't be a daily setting. Would you go with the 1st option since it will accommodate or the 2nd since 1., it's smaller without leaf, but has the ability to extend for more comfort when necessary? With the leaf, the table would extend to 94" which I realize would be rather cramped. Or, should I continue to look around and find a one that is 84x42??
  • 9 years ago

    Here a rectangular dining table for 6 sits in an 11ft x 14ft 6inches dining room. There's ample space all around the table and no door to swing into the dining space. This leaves some wiggle room to add some leaves to the table to sit 8.

    This room is a tad larger than your room in length... I wouldn't exceed a 72" table that has leaves to extend it further beyond 72" when necessary. That's the largest I'd personally go.

    Tape off the room since it appears to be empty as below. Only way you will really see it on the floor and better visualize and be happy in the long run. Keep in mind there are chairs and standing up and getting out of the chair you need space on all 4 sides to do so comfortably.

    Use painters tape to 42X72" and look at it on the floor then you'd buy and extension/table with leaf(s).........

    Then try taping off 79x43 then you could get a table with a leaf.

    and what you mentioned last 84x42 which is a narrow table for the length, yet?

  • 9 years ago

    • 72"-102"L x 36"W x 30"H; with two 15" leaves
  • 9 years ago

    Both above would give you 87" with one leaf as they come with two...

  • 9 years ago

    Then you have the added seating for the people you need when needed and won't have a cramped room that looks poorly done. I think that's your best option at 72" max for daily living... extending 15" add'l for guests... more than enough for the people you need to sit when more than the people in the home. The width is a bit more narrow too which is a bonus for the size you have at 10' width.

  • 9 years ago
    https://www.wayfair.com/One-Allium-Way®-Phair-Dining-Table-OAWY6385.html
  • 9 years ago

    It's out of stock... however, I'm personally not fond of the ornate scroll work type thing on the base??

    I still think you need an extension or table with a leaf or two... 72" and a bit more narrow.... Not sure what stores you have in your area that sell items such as what you are looking for and what similar I've offered up as options :(

  • 9 years ago

    You'll find it! What stores do you all have that have this look?

  • 9 years ago
    I actually like the ornate base. We have a small family owned store nearby that has this table on stock also. I can find things online, but would rather buy something I can see in person and feel, etc. Our main stores here are Ashley's, Haverty's, Pier One, Value City, Kittles, and Room's Express. I've also been to countless small stores, most of which carry the same brands as the big box stores.