Software
Houzz Logo Print
misskiki223

Baseboard gap fix

9 years ago

Hello all! I'm a first - time laminate layer and did a pretty decent job on taking up carpet and laying wood like laminate. The only problem was i over shot the expansion gap and regular baseboard or shoe molding doesn't cover the difference. In an effort for a creative solution and not having to rip this up and do it over, i added basic wood as a filler then some decorative shoe molding. Does this look like a big oops fixer or can it pass for a decent baseboard? My real concern is resale value/buyer perception.


Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't notice it at all.

    Kat Tool thanked K Laurence
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Looks great, and a nice option to add molding.

    Kat Tool thanked Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You did a great job!

    Kat Tool thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • 9 years ago
    This looks like a very nice baseboard..can't tell from the pic but usually you need to caulk all the gaps and paint it all the same color to finish it off professionally...
    Kat Tool thanked btydrvn
  • 9 years ago
    As for resale this is an upgrade and adds a custom touch
  • 9 years ago
    I don't think the pictures provide good depth/scale. How far out is this projecting from the wall? It actually looks like a build-up of trim as would be used for crown moulding. If it protrudes much more than an inch from the wall, I would believe that folks could look at it and think, "what problem are they trying to cover up?" Sorry, but I know I would.
    Kat Tool thanked a_lee75
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you everyone for the feedback! Thought I was over thinking it, and I may be.

    @a_lee75 it's about 2 inches from the wall. It is built out to cover the gap but I'm not sure if it's enough to look custom or enough to look like it's hiding something. Nobody that's come over has mentioned it but I'd assume anyone familiar with wood work would take a second look.

  • 9 years ago

    It's unusual, but I wouldn't say it looks really suspicious . Presumably you carried it around the whole room...and you won't catch your toes on those corners! . That was a lot of extra work!

    Kat Tool thanked hummingalong2
  • 9 years ago
    This is a totally different view than the original pics...it may be odd as you suspected...can you show a pic from further back? Showing the protrusion better...
    Kat Tool thanked btydrvn
  • 9 years ago

    Here are a few more angles for reference @ritasj

  • 9 years ago
    It is a little different for a baseboaed, bot it turned out fine..
    Kat Tool thanked wacokid
  • 9 years ago
    I can see why you are concerned...it is odd looking...but any change would be labor intensive and costly...the best option may be to wait and see if there are any unsolicited reactions...and see if they get damaged ..especially the corners...
    Kat Tool thanked btydrvn
  • 9 years ago

    What ritasj ^^ said.

    Kat Tool thanked Chessie
  • 9 years ago

    My only comment is there's going to be a lot of baseboard dusting.I would not worry about it. Who knows, the buyer may love the house but want to replace the floor anyway.

    Kat Tool thanked Anne Duke
  • 9 years ago

    If I saw this in a home that I was looking to purchase, I would say "hmm, that is super weird. That is probably some DIY gone awry." However, it would not be a deal breaker unless there was a proliferation of other DIY projects gone awry (e.g., poorly painted cabinets, poor tile work, etc.). One sketchy thing is OK. A lot of sketchy things, and I am out.

    Kat Tool thanked smit2380
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It looks quite good, and not at all unusual. If you tour through older homes in America, you will often find large baseboards and trim moulding, as well as oversized crown moulding. As long as it fits the decor of the structure, then by all means, make it beautiful.

    Kat Tool thanked Allensworth Design Group
  • 9 years ago
    You aren't going to get any furniture very close to the wall. That would be a problem for me as I don't like big gaps between wall and case goods.
    Kat Tool thanked Kate
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I will assume this is a flip? If so well the goal was to deceive the buyer and you achieved it.

    If this is not a home you are selling then ignore. If it is I see all these stupid flip shows showing shoddy unprofessional work with zero regard to the person who has to actually live with these repairs. It is a huge insult to skilled trained laborers that do this work. Houses are now being dolled up and sold and it is downright dishonest knowing you have zero prior knowledge of say laying flooring. You know there is an issue and look at the lengths you went to so it would be covered up. You screwed up so fix it so whoever buys it doesn't realize after the close that they are stuck with a $5k bill to make it right. Sometimes when people buy houses they are barely making ends meat and a hidden issues can mean a foreclosure. Go play junior RE executive on your own dime.

    I am all for DIY'ers but not for flipped homes. If you do it and are aware of the shortcomings great but don't pass it off to someone else in bad faith. KARMA!

    Again if this is a DIY in a house you are staying in then fine.

    Kat Tool thanked Brian Gannon
  • 9 years ago

    Don't give her a hard time. It looks good and you would never know. Life's not perfect.

    Kat Tool thanked Cara Lewis-Watts
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    In response to those concerned about the look of the wide shoe mould, I implore you to look at current installations on various manufacturers websites, and you will find many examples ranging from 1/4" to as wide as 2 1/2" or more. Even visiting homes in the Victorian, Modern-Traditional and even Industrial styles; etc., base moulding varies from non-existent to very tall and very wide and in many reliefs. It truly is a preference, and may have always been for centuries to cover gaps in flooring material.

    Kat Tool thanked Allensworth Design Group
  • 9 years ago
    A quick search confirmed that there are lots of profiles being used. Feel good about your project.
    Kat Tool thanked Anne Duke
  • 9 years ago

    That makes me feel better @Allensworth Design Group! Thank you. This is not a flip, but my first home that we're trying to bring some life to. I'll settle on the thought that this adds character and learn from the process for next time. Thanks for all the great feedback!

  • 9 years ago

    Congratulations , enjoy your first home and all the hard work you put into it!

    Kat Tool thanked hummingalong2