Software
Houzz Logo Print
esthertrager

Sofa Fabrics

9 years ago
Hi everyone,
We are looking to buy a sofa for our living room. My husband and I both hate leather and I am wondering what the best material would be. We have three little kids and another on the way :) we have a microfiber couch in our toy room / den which has held up nicely considering the amount of use it gets. The couch we are looking for now is for our more formal room. We entertain frequently and I am not going to bar my kids from entering (I will bar food other than apples and water). While it will get a decent amount of use it is not our every day couch for the kids. I was looking into a velvet couch from west elm but found that velvet might not be the best choice for us (there are very few details about the specifics of the velvet online). I was not looking at it because of the material but because I liked the shape of the sofa. Any thoughts?

Comments (13)

  • 9 years ago

    my thoughts would be that the children would not sit on the couch? and would not be a place to randomly sit?

  • 9 years ago
    We got a vintage-ish velvet couch from restoration hardware and sprayed the heck out of it. No shoes, eating or dogs allowed on it. So far so good.
  • 9 years ago
    If we had guests over our kids would probably sit on the couch. I like spending time in the living room after they go to sleep (we don't have a TV in our house at all so that is not an issue). We also have a large window in the living room that faces the front so they sometimes go in the room to watch for someone if we are expecting people / watching them leave. We have guests over pretty much every weekend so it would not be an unused room at all. I just want a place for guests to go that isn't the toy room so I don't need to stress if the toys aren't all put away when we have company. I was previously looking at a different sofa that comes in many different fabrics but is more expensive. (I was planning to get a navy blue fabric for it, not the orange in the photo). I can post a picture of that one as well.
  • 9 years ago

    I had a velvet couch and it was the worst fabric for wear. I have heard on Houzz that the sunbrella fabrics are very durable and attractive. They can be used outdoors but don't look like patio furniture fabrics.

  • 9 years ago

    my point was that there would be adults filling it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello!
    We are l'Opificio from Italy, designing and producing high-quality,
    100% Made Italy fabrics and velvets for home decoration and also soft furnishings.

    As
    you are looking for durable but also stylish fabrics for your sofa,
    we suggest you to have a look at our dedicated webpage here below:

    http://lopificio.it/en/furnishing-fabrics/
    ,

    If
    you wish to discover more about our precious creations, here's the
    link to our website http://lopificio.it/en/.

    For
    any further information, don't hesitate to contact us at this email
    address

    export@lopificio.it

    -l'Opificio Staff

  • 9 years ago
    If you respect your furniture and engender that attitude in your children you'll be far better off. There are also different fibres used to create velvet.
  • 9 years ago

    All cotton velvet are the worst for wear and stain, some synthetic could be better but not always. The best is wool, you can see it used in theatre chairs and it last forever. I don't think West Elm would use wool as it very pricy... Select couch with microfiber always easy to clean.

  • 9 years ago

    I had 2 chairs made very similar to the orange sofa in your photo which I had in our coastal home. They were upholstered in ultra suede and held up extremely well to kids, etc, but also looked stylish. The style is Vladimir Kagan and if you look at vintage pieces many of them were upholstered in ultra suede,too

  • 9 years ago

    I am a firm believer that you need to sit in a chair or sofa first before buying one. Therefore, my suggestion would be to visit your local furniture store and find a style and sit on it first. Many better furniture stores can show you the fabrics available from the furniture manufacturer and you can make an educated selection and be happy with it. Also, your local vendor is right there with customer service, usually free delivery, and a happy ending for all. Happy shopping!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I believe some of the furniture stores with a significant presence online do have retail shops in most in big cities, like Crate and Barrel and West Elm. Lots of times, the custom made orders go directly to the customer from the manufacturer if the store is a distance. Good luck with your search!

  • 9 years ago

    don't forget there are several more stores you wouldn't think of. target delivers to store along with walmart, pier one and home depot. or they often deliver to home and returns are free from there. remember most of those have far more on line then in store.