Software
Houzz Logo Print
itistime2015

Garbage can: where's yours?

9 years ago
Had someone come look at our kitchen and measure. She talked with DH and suggested different lay outs and said we could use the cabinet next to sink for the garbage. She said you could put air freshener so it doesn't stink.
Right now it's SS can next to butcher block.

Anyone have their garbage can in a cabinet next to the sink so you can scrap dishes and load in dishwasher? I'm not sure how I feel about this idea

Thank you in advance.

Comments (40)

  • 9 years ago
    Currently this is where the garbage can is.
  • 9 years ago

    Next to the sink we have a pullout with two cans: trash and recycling. It's one of the best things about our kitchen re-do. Space limitations meant I had to choose between this and a built-in microwave. We use the trash pulllout many times every day. Don't miss a microwave at all.

  • 9 years ago

    My garbage can is a pull out in cabinet to the left of the sink. It has never smelled bad and makes the kitchen look nice hidden

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, hide it away! It will be very convenient next to the sink.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    yes, our trash and recycling is in a pull out next to the sink. we take our trash out every night so it doesnt ever stink. now that its just my husband and i, i fit a grocery store plastic bag over the 13 gallon plastic liner bag in the inner trash can, and just dispose of the smaller bag after dinner.

  • 9 years ago

    Definitely hide the garbage can. Take it out if there's something smelly. There's no need for air freshener.

  • 9 years ago

    For years I had mine in the kitchen (just like you) and then decided to put it under the sink - where it has been every since. I now think to myself, why did I have that "not so pretty" thing right in the open. It occasionally does smell, but then it just means i have to remove garbage before the can is full. It doesn't happen very often as I have a garbage disposal (which I wouldn't live without).

  • 9 years ago
    I think the more important question is where does it go in relation to who is using it and when. Can you scrap into the garbage, rinse in the sink, and put in the dishwasher without opening without a lot of shuffling or opening and closing of doors? What if someone is helping with the preparation or clean up? Is there room for two people to work if you frequently have helpers?
  • 9 years ago
    I opted for a pullout with trash and recycling bins to the left of the sink. There are no other cabinets adjacent to get smelly. My mom taught me never to put smelly stuff in the kitchen garbage unless the liner is near full. For example, if I prepare fish, I bag any waste and put it directly outside. Good luck!
  • 9 years ago

    In most of the homes I've owned the kitchen garbage can has lived in the cabinet under the sink. Makes for easy clean-up. No odor problem.

  • 9 years ago
    I have my recycling under the sink, but my garbage can is against an empty wall across from the fridge. Its big and stainless with a foot pedal to open it so nothing ever smells. When I had a smaller can under the sink, I had to empty it almost daily which was a pain and wasted a lot of bags. With this can I only empty it two or three times a week.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Mine's under the sink in a cabinet. There's rarely an odor and if there is, it just means it's time to take the trash out!

  • 9 years ago
    Just finished kitchen renovation & I love love love my trash/recycling pull out drawer. It's one of my favorite things!!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My trash can is in my laundry room, which is just off the kitchen. I've never liked having it under the sink - not willing to give up the space.\ and don't want any odors nearby. Meat scraps and things like that go outside to the trash.

  • 9 years ago

    We have a trash/garbage can pull out but honestly we take any food scraps or paper/plastic that's held meat or fish that can't go down the garbage disposal directly to the garage garbage can.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you!! Sounds like this is the way to go. I will lose a cabinet but the space with the butcher block could be our new pantry.

    The current pantry is an odd shape kind of a V shape which could be for my mini chopper, blender, etc.

    I'm anxious to see what designs she comes up with because our kitchen needs some updating.








    is in need of some updating.
  • 9 years ago
    Yes mine is a pull out with two cans. I buy trash bags with Febreeze - no issues at all with smells. Before the kitchen remodel I had a trash compactor. YULK
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Our trash can is in the pantry but that's mainly because my two year old started calling it "mom" and licking it (not kidding). Now, I'm used to it in there and prefer it out of sight. Plus, I'm no longer competing with the trash can for my son's affection, haha!

  • 9 years ago

    I have a pullout like ckrug814, with two full-sized cans, so we can usually go a whole week between emptyings (with meat wrappers kept in the freezer until trash day). (The tiny cans would make me crazy!) Wish it was next to the sink, but our kitchen has a million design constraints, so it's a few steps away, but it's on the way from eating areas to sink, so still ok for scraping. I slightly miss the foot pedal, but since our trash pullout is part of a full wall of pantry and other cabinets, it's a no-brainder!

    New Kitchen 2016 -- wall 4 right, after · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    we have a pullout right next to the sink with trash and recycle. Also closest spot to the family room for kids, etc. to use. We are renovating our kitchen and doing the same thing. We are lucky to have enough room to add a second pullout garbage (but no recycle) in the island near the prep sink area.

  • 9 years ago

    Same with us...cabinet pull-out with two containers. I'm really careful what goes in them. As someone mentioned, food scraps go to the outside trash cans. If I have something like trimmings from meat or poultry, I'll put them in a plastic bag in the garage freezer till trash day.

  • 9 years ago
    First pic is my kitchen but old picture and the appliances have been updated except fridge. The cabinet left of next sink is the one being suggested for garbage.

    The next picture is of another house similar to mine but no basement so they have less wall room. Just to give you an idea of the layout of my kitchen.
  • 9 years ago
    To the left of the fridge is the small corner pantry then a door way then the butcher block/garbage.
  • 9 years ago

    Cabinet pull-out. Here's my "trick"; anything smelly goes into the small plastic bags from the grocery store (check for holes or tears). Knot the bag, deposit in can, no smells.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    recycling in can under kitchen sink on one side and then we hang the Ikea variera on the inside cabinet on the other side of the sink for regular trash. I LOVE that it is smaller, fits the average grocery store bag, and because it's small the trash never gets a chance to stink. When the bag is full, pull out, tie up, toss in bigger, outdoor trash can that gets rolled to the curb.

  • 9 years ago

    Under the sink, take it out twice a day, am OCD about any odors , place anything that smells in plastic bags I save from grocery store produce.

  • 9 years ago

    @K Laurence, I'm constantly grabbing extra produce bags at the market for that reason. One of these days they'll probably start charging for them, too.

  • 9 years ago

    We have our garbage can under the sink....If it has an odor.. (hardly ever does) .time to empty it and take it to the garage.....wrapped tightly in plastic, of course..

  • 9 years ago

    Ours is a two can pullout next to the sink. I love it. I take the trash daily so that keeps it from smelling.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Ours is in a cabinet to the left of the sink. Works great and no stink even if it has had trash in it for a few days. If does have stinky stuff in it I'd advise to take it outside asap.

  • 9 years ago
    Agree with others. It does not smell at all. I will never ever ever have another kitchen without the garbage in a pull out cabinet. My stepmom came to my house when we first moved in, and was so excited about that hidden garbage that she had to have it. The plan to make that one change in their kitchen eventually led to gutting the whole room and putting in an all new kitchen lol. My dad calls it the most expensive garbage drawer in history.
  • 9 years ago

    "...the most expensive garbage drawer in history." Love that! I have to admit the idea of putting garbage inside a closed cabinet once seemed not quite right to me. Hard to imagine now!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have a covered garbage can under the sink but food scraps don't go in it. Most food scraps are put in a small covered compost bin to take out to the compost tumbler in my yard once a week. Food scraps that can't be composted go in a separate larger covered bin in the pantry.

    I'd much rather have a small covered trash can under the sink than a wide open trash with no lid like I see in so many kitchens.

  • 9 years ago
    This post got me to thinking. My lovely SS covered can sat against an empty wall across from the fridge. So I removed the lowest shelf in my pantry and put it there. I like it much better now! Thanks, Houzzers!
  • 9 years ago

    Yes, I couldn't understand why i had given the garbage can so much prominence for so many years. It's not a pretty thing, even when stainless steel.

  • 9 years ago

    How do you guys even have ROOM under your sink for a garbage can? My sink plumbing is 9" from the front frame.

  • 9 years ago

    Hmm...I haven't seen a can beneath a sink yet... maybe those are short cans. Mine is in the cabinet next to the sink -- this is a good setup for using trash and sink at the same time.

  • 9 years ago

    Ah...ok. Yeah no way would I trade cabinet space and a drawer for a trash can. Still prefer mine in the laundry room/pantry. i do have a small can under my computer desk (which is part of my kitchen) but that's just for paper/tissues etc.

  • 9 years ago

    I still have one drawer above the trash pullout, but yeah, my kitchen spoils me with storage.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz