Software
Houzz Logo Print
dempsey12

Need help with awkward entryway

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Front door opens to awkward entryway. The middle slanted staircase wall is 39" wide so I can't really do the chest/mirror option I thought about originally side I don't want anything blocking view of the spindles. Any ideas for what to do with this space? No too contemporary, more traditional. We plan on painting the walls a light grey. This pic stretched a to look bit wiser when uploaded.


Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago

    I would put a nice center hall table in the crook of the stairs. They come in all styles from the super-traditional to the contemporary to the modern. Add a beautiful vase for a tall floral arrangement and a shallow bowl or salver for the mail and keys and you have a practical and beautiful piece.










  • 9 years ago

    Yes, that is the perfect spot for a pretty round table! I envy you having this space. It's tailor made for such a traditional look!

  • 9 years ago

    I would LOVE a round table but the area is sort of box-y, unlike your pic above that has a round contour to keep it nestled in. Also, it would have to be less than 25" wide to not impede the walkway thru to the kitchen, great room area. I had previously looked and it was difficult to find a decent round table with that dimension. (Side note: I have 2 children under 4 yrs old so a glass top table is out of the question). I appreciate your feedback though! I think I'll need to upload more pics of the area for people to get a better idea of the space.

  • 9 years ago

    Does the front door open so that one is facing the left-most wall section? From the light I see coming in, it looks like it does. Could you use that wall instead of the middle one?

    How do you see this entry area being used? Do you want a piece that might hold gloves/mittens in the winter or do you live in a warm area? Is this just something to look at, with no need for storage, keys or a mail drop?

    Here are some pics that might give you ideas - Entry area decor near stairs

    Although it's curved, the first one in the top row makes me think of your entry -

  • 9 years ago

    how about something similar in scale as presented in the ref pic.


    Leslie Hayes Interiors · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    my3dogs just what i posted before i saw yr great suggestion!

  • 9 years ago

    This very similar. Thanks for the link! I wish my area was either round or square not slanted and in between-ish. It really won't be too functional, I have a large hallway closet right across for coats, mitten, etc. so looking for eclectic idea for chests, decorations, etc. I do like a mirror on that wall but I wish I could do the bench for sitting with cushions that I found in your link. Unfortunately there would be a huge gap behind it if I put it up against the wall. Having a hard time deciding if I should put u the furniture/decor up against the first wall that goes perpendicular to the staircase so it faces front door or if I should angle everything on the side,up against the middle space in the wall, so it faces the coat closet. Thanks again for the link! You've been very helpful!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Maybe you could have a corner cabinet fitted for the wall by a custom furniture maker. One of my old neighbors had one made for their odd corner for no more than an upper range off the shelf one would have cost. Or, remove the top on a beautiful used corner piece and have an exact fit top made.

    You could also do a bit of an overhang and have a pretty little stool there.

    Sorry, I could not find a visual of what's in my head.

    Pretend this has a heavy top w/overhang

    Megan Lelli thanked just_terrilynn
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Skirted round table with a lamp.

    Megan Lelli thanked Anglophilia
  • Megan Lelli thanked cawaps
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    WOW black floor. No thanks!! I bet you clean that all day everyday, LOL. It looks like instead of making a curved wall like it should be. Which would also mean curving the stairs (just like in all the sample pictures). They went the easy cheap route and made squares. Stick a table there and be done.

  • 9 years ago

    What about a little curved bench? If you have one with a back on it, it won't matter if it's not flush to the wall. It might take some searching to find just the right size for your space:

    Megan Lelli thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago

    Very pretty entry. Looking at your stairs, it might be nice to gel stain the banister and handrail darker (maybe even stairs). That is, if you like it and are up to the job.

    Someone here on GW recently went through this exercise with amazing results and pics showing his "steps" to achieve this.

    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4150292/gel-stain-staircase-i-need-serious-help-with-colours

  • 9 years ago

    That is an amazing thread! Little tips like numbering spindles and painting the metal under the railing can make or Mr break a project.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone! The floors are actually a dark mahogany but I didn't have lights on in pics so the variation didn't come thru. We just bought the home in June, and did the floors throughout the 1st floor earlier in the month, so I plan on doing the stairs in a bit. We have a second "back" set of stairs that goes up to the bedrooms from the great room so we'll need to stain them at the same time. I'll defer to a professional to stain them though :) I think I might go toward a sitting area for the kids while they do shoes and backpack stuff in the am. Im looking for a bench like this. Any tips where to find one? I've tried Wayfair, Joss&Main, Birch,Ballard and even Amazon to no avail. Any ideas? I've messaged the IG poster but no answer. Thanks again!!

  • 9 years ago

    If you want seating, what about a round ottoman? Might look nice.

    Megan Lelli thanked theclose
  • 9 years ago

    I was thinking a round ottoman too. Maybe with some pretty hooks on the wall for back packs? OR you could have someone build you a bench that follows the angles of the wall and have the bottom of the bench be pull down drawers for shoes?

    Megan Lelli thanked Boopadaboo
  • 9 years ago

    Similar on eBay, but 52" long - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Entryway-Bedroom-Bench-Backless-Wooden-Upholstered-Padded-Seat-Nailhead-Trim/192243047282



    Ballard Designs Dorchester Bench comes in 2 lengths -54.5" or 38", and 5 wooden colors. Cushions sold separately - http://www.ballarddesigns.com/dorchester-benches/furniture/living-room/benches/42913



    Megan Lelli thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • 9 years ago

    Hayneedle.com regular $280, on sale for $149

    Megan Lelli thanked Bette P
  • 9 years ago

    Megan Lelli thanked roarah
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Or just for fun, this is in reference to pal's earlier post about where to use a certain object. For only 7 k this might be the perfect piece ;) http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4777217/where-does-one-put-something-like-this?n=10

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the tips! I appreciate all of them. When we moved, my old house was much more contemporary, chrome and white decor, crate and barrel royal blue couch type stuff. We've had to start from scratch with more traditional furnishings in every room to compliment the home so it's a bit overwhelming. There's a lot to do ;) Thanks for the mock ups and the eBay/hayneedle links. I had totally forgotten to try them. Keep any more ideas coming!

  • 9 years ago

    I really like the round table best. But all of roarah's mock ups look great! Even with pal's find. : )

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio