Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rochelblock

Add some color to this door??

Rochel Block
6 years ago
I am having thoughts to paint the 8 rectangles on this door blue, while the rest be painted white. Any thoughts?

Comments (96)

• sneighoff
    6 years ago

Love what you did Rachel, and the knobs are super cool!

• ginger22
    6 years ago

It would look awful not to mention it would be a pain and a waste of time.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

OP finished her door. Does anyone read the whole thread?

I like what you did with the knobs Rochel.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    Hi Rochel, you have already a lot of comments, but I think you should trust Beth H comments. I was also going to suggest black paint, it will make such a statement
  • latifolia
    6 years ago

Read the posts, people. She painted the door white and finished her project!

• User
    6 years ago

Beth's and Celestina's great ideas remind me of the huge difference the FINISH makes! The lacquered look of high-gloss is sensational. Thanks for the inspiration!

• billkonopacz
    6 years ago

Since they are traditional doors I would keep them all one color. May consider changing hardware for more contrast as long as it as the same theme as the rest of the room.

• bestex
    6 years ago
    Doors Sherwin Williams Black Fox
  • carol1953
    6 years ago

How do you get that high gloss look on the black doors? I can never seem to get it that glossy.

• dtfurga
    6 years ago

Personally, I like what you did with a door color that matches the trim and just adding color to the door pulls. Also on existing doors, I prefer semi-gloss for durability and reduced shine that would highlight door surface imperfections.

• Sheree Lally
    6 years ago

Leave it white but change the handles. They are very 70's.

• kak13
    6 years ago
    If you like the doors, keep them! Light blue would be a nice color, but not the entirety of the doors. I would paint the rectangles white and the frame or trim white, but the background on the doors a light but vivid blue.
  • michelebeth616
    6 years ago

The finished doors are just beautiful! Hope you like what you did to them as much as I do! :-)

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    The best thing you can do is to tape the bottom of the doors so that the baseboard colour can be carried across. Then you put the wall colour on the rest of the doors. Right now they're too assertive.
  • keckitykitchen
    6 years ago

Omg. They look great. I wish I had doors with such character. Nice nice work.

• Lisa Clark
    6 years ago

I would do a darker gray or Navy blue.

• Euradina Brooks
    6 years ago
    I agree, a navy blue would look good, with white door knobs. And using some navy in your room with accent pieces. This would add some balance.
  • lamaisonbleu
    6 years ago

I will be too chopped up! If you want to paint something, how about the walls... or all of the doors? You will not like those narrow strips painted, IMHO.

• PRO
    Staged & Styled by Susan
    6 years ago

Please do not paint the rectangular insets blue...it will look very busy and I think you would grow tired of the look in a few years. Keep the trim/casing around the doors white. Paint the doors black. Beautiful contrast and very classic and timeless. Replace the knobs and consider a nickel finish. I do like the new trend of square backplates on the knobs!

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Despite the fact that people are still making suggestions (and probably will be until 2018 and beyond), the FINISHED doors, in white, and those knobs look great!

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    PAINT IT TO MATCH THE WALL; otherwise, you're chopping up the wall.
  • PRO
    Five Star Painting of Austin
    6 years ago

Repaint all white!

• Kenneth Row
    6 years ago

If you have a color in the room, you could paint the panels to match. Look up on the internet pics of painted panel doors.

• Ms H
    6 years ago
    I'd paint them black. Look up black doors - they are awesome
  • Ms H
    6 years ago
    Ooooops. Saw the finished. They look awesome ! The knobs was an awesome touch and Jacobean stain - I love it ! Use it on lots of things - great choice
  • Charley Bell
    6 years ago

Good job! You made the right choice.

• buster57
    6 years ago

In my opinion: Have fun with them!! Paint them rainbow, or glitter or anything that makes you smile when you look at them!!

• marmakai
    6 years ago

Unless your door are perfect, glossy black would not be a good idea.

• frostedsleet
    6 years ago
    This project has been completed by OP and it's awesome.
  • Holly Bond
    6 years ago

I think it's a sweet door, but I would paint it one color.

• Lyzz Pickle
    6 years ago
    I was going to say paint it black since all my interior doors are black and they look stunning, but your finished photos in white are just so elegant! And I love your knobs. You ARE a decorator! Great choices and execution.
  • Ally McNeil
    6 years ago

A color on your doors would be interesting, draw the eye, and would make the room "perk up." I would keep it all one color, and depending on the other colors you may have in the room, you have many choices.

• Ally McNeil
    6 years ago

Somehow I skipped over part of the thread and had come to the end. I see that you did finish your doors. White is nice, too. If you are tired of the comments, you can delete your post. It is hard to see sometimes whether or not the issue has been resolved for the "commenter." Best wishes and enjoy!

• PRO
    Invisionit
    6 years ago
    I like that idea depending on what other ideas you have in mind for the rest of the decor. I think the doors will make it pop if the decor is done right
  • Lynn Zumwinkle
    6 years ago

Paint the entire door.

• Tina
    6 years ago

Hi Beth H,

I love the crystal knobs that you picked/show above.

But I'm only finding them at $80 a pop do you know where I can find them for a little less $$$$?

thank you,

tina

• User
    6 years ago

@Tina - average is around $30.00 just use your browser and put in the search box "crystal door knobs" then click on search. House of Antique Hardware has them for under $50. They even have a fluted cheap one at $10. Ebay has listed a few for also under $50 and so does Amazon. There are several that list crystal looking at less than $20. It also depends on if you want real crystal (which isn't cheap) or a look-a-like.

• Rochel Block
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The knob I put on is from Home Depot and was inexpensive.
    If anyone could advise me how to delete this thread or delete posts, I would appreciate it.
    My 14 year son thought if would be funny to add some shrewd comments to the thread that I would like to delete.
  • Joanne
    6 years ago

I just moved into a 60’s ranch and have these doors, I was just going to strip them down and repaint a crisp white! Need new pulls!

• ena772
    6 years ago
    Just wondering, what color is on your walls? Beautiful!
  • izem12
    6 years ago

I would paint them the same color as your walls. That would include the trim around the doors too.

• Sheeba Queen
    6 years ago

TOTALLY agree with Beth H. I personally think black would be awesome, but then consider where they are , how big the room with its natural lighting and what other style decor you have going on. they are awesome doors BTW

• suebruhle
    6 years ago

Paint doors and baseboards white and consider darker walls or leave as gray. Very crisp and inviting look.

• Brandy Perkins
    6 years ago

I'm with Beth black adds an updated touch especially with gold. I did a window I had with a soft black and my staircase railing when we moved in. It makes the space look much more updated. I love the doors.

• Brandy Perkins
    6 years ago

JoJo yours might be pretty if you painted them with chalk paint in a distressed turquoise or distress the wood once its stripped. If you use chalk paint you don't have to strip them.

• arnisk
    6 years ago

No. Contrived.

• Sam Perry
    6 years ago
    Don't if you do do a light gray if it matches room otherwise no color
  • Shane Lear
    6 years ago
    I have similar doors that match the white woodwork and crown moldings in my house, so I painted the walls a darkish shade of beige and I added canister spotlights that make the doors pop even more, in addition to lighting the bedroom.
  • Cathy Dunphy
    6 years ago

Your door looks very nice, sometimes less is more I say that in a good way

• Cathy Dunphy
    6 years ago

I am wondering if the door was painted white, and because of the shapes on the door, you could paint a pin strip line , very thin of a muted color,