Software
Houzz Logo Print
christina1991ald

Help with "in the meantime" bathroom makeover

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all! My husband and I want to give our builder grade master bath a makeover while we save our money for a complete remodel. The bad part is, the shower, tub, and countertop are all that weird faux marble finish and we can't replace it all at once, so we're looking to work with it for now. Floors are also that builder grade large tile. I was thinking- frame the mirror, new light fixtures and faucets, maybe some floating shelves and decor. What I really need help with- choosing a paint color for the cabinets as they are a reddish brown which neither of us like. I need a color that will look okay with the faux marble- and also suggestions for a wall color that will tie all in together. Below are some photos. Thank you so much for any help!


Comments (13)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Paint and art! Fluffy towels and rugs.

    What's your favorite color?

    Cozy Powder Bath · More Info

    Wyndmoor Residence bathroom · More Info

    Greenpoint Townhouse · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    As someone asked earlier what are your color preferences? This would be helpful. Updating hardware to brass would dress it up depending on the cabinet color you choose. Luxurious rug and lighting goes a long way. Good luck.

  • 9 years ago

    I tend to like blues, grays, whites, warm wood tones. I was thinking maybe a navy for the cabinets would be nice. Black also is an option. I just want something that won't clash with the less than pretty tile

  • 9 years ago

    Here is my living room if it helps- it really encompasses my style.

  • 9 years ago

    We recently changed our bathroom up with only cosmetic changes. Picked a light happy wall color, new rug, new art work, new hand towels and what a difference. We used a really pretty grey for our wall colors. I think they'd look nice with the faux marble in your bathroom. Gives a nice, soft and clean look. Benjamin Moore Classic Gray (BM 1548). The beadboard is Sherwin Williams Dover White (SW 6385).


    Before:

    After:

  • 9 years ago

    White might really look pretty for the cabinets, then a nice color for the walls.

  • 9 years ago
    If you want to downplay the counter finish and floor tile it may be good to go with a monochromatic color scheme....

    contrasting colors would accentuate those features rather than make them blend in ...

    pale gray shades for cabinet and walls ...an elegant silver framed mirror..maybe nice plexiglas or silver towel bars...and some botanical prints for decor...accessorize with pale pastel ( aqua ...lavender gray?) linens...

    so the color and the silver elements and the art will distract the eye from the materials you don't like...
  • 9 years ago

    41st · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    My concern with white for the cabinets is that it'll accentuate how off white the faux marble is and make it look dingy in comparison. I do dislike the faux marble but I want it to be able to play nice in the meantime since once one faux marble surface has to go, they all will or it'll look a bit strange.


    I'm very much liking the idea of a light airy gray on the walls, and black cabinetry. New lighting, rugs, decor, and maybe some antique brass hardware?

  • 9 years ago
    Can't see what sort of lighting you have on the ceiling but going with something really special there will draw the eye upward as well...investing in good lighting is safe ...as it can stay when you take the next step in updating...unless your present fixtures really turn you off ...it may be able okay to keep them til your big re-do when you may want really special ones...
  • 9 years ago

    The lighting cannot stay. It's one of those ugly big bars with those ginormous bare bulbs.. really cheapens the whole room even more.

  • 9 years ago
    Agree on new lighting..was referring to old fixtures (faucets , shower sprayer ...etc) sometimes they are just fine if the replacements are not going to be really special...