Software
Houzz Logo Print
swagner2468

Lacquer finish over General Finishes Gel Stain?

9 years ago

I had my oak kitchen cabinets gel stained with Antique Walnut General Finishes Gel Stain. It was done by a professional painter at my request (stripping and restaining was out of my budget and I wanted to keep a wood-toned look). The cabinets turned out very nice, but now it is time for a top coat. He is going to spray one coat of a lacquer finish. Originally I thought that would be okay becaue he told me that is what was on my existing cabinets. As I have been reading about lacquer finishes, I am worried that:

1. It will be too shiny (he said he is using satin)

2. The fumes will be too bad to live with

3. One coat won't be enough (he said it would be fine becaue the gel stain had some poly in it)

4. It won't be durable

I don't know much about lacquer, does anyone have any advise about whether or not to use it? He is coming to spray the cabinets on Tuesday and I am a little worried.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio