Software
Houzz Logo Print
bailey510

Want to paint this dark wood piece?

9 years ago
What color/finish would you recommend?

Comments (10)

  • 9 years ago

    It might be nice to try and match the color to the other piece you already have.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Well, I see dark blue on sideboard, pearly white on chairs and brown wood flooring. So that means better stay close to one of these existing colors. I wonder if you could switch the bookcase with the sideboard? That might change the way you look at your colorings. With the gold sofa I think I would do the bookcase in black. The chairs would look better with black and a black and gold throw over the arm and back of sofa would help tie things together. I will be back later with examples. Definite remove top overhanging cap if possible. Bbl
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Have you considered using in another room, and repurposing it? Look at this!

    East London Duplex · More Info
    I love this idea! A dust free shoe cabinet!! That would be very cool.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I tried to do a little mock up moving the bookcase painted black to the wall where your buffet is now and simulating the buffet with some art. I couldn't move the chairs, but the chairs would fit better with the bookcase on that wall if you leave both pieces in your room.

    mock ups · More Info
    Had to just try blocking out your other pieces to this is far from perfect. But I do think the bookcase on that wall would look better if the buffet fits on the entry wall. Is that an entry wall where the lawyer bookcase is now? A large tall piece when entering a room is foreboding. If it isn't an entry area, then disregard. But since I only have this photo, just guessing. If you did paint the bookcase a black, I would also darken the blue on the buffet a bit.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Daisy May Black Throw Pillow · More Info
    For your sofa. Along with a black throw on the sofa would tie things together.

  • 9 years ago
    The buffet is about 2' too wide for the other wall
  • 9 years ago

    A dark slate grey with blue undertones would look similar to the other piece without being matchy matchy. I like the dimensionality of the cornice which, to my eye, gives the piece an architectural salvage vibe.

    For my tastes, painting the white chairs a soft grey would make them look less stark and would enhance a monochromatic feel of using different shades of the same color (like a paint card). But always follow your tastes. If you like high contrast by all means design everything to your own aesthetic preferences.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Could you post photos from the other side of room and this piece? Give us more perspective on the room.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    In any case, painting that piece will reduce its value, so think about that. It is a great piece.