Software
Houzz Logo Print
cee_cee49

Fiddle leaf fig plant. (Lyrata)

9 years ago

Please help! Didnt realize how finicky thus plant was till I lost 2 and about to lose a 3rd.

I let it dry out between waterings. I sometimes mist it in between watering. Its near a window and no direct sunlight. It was doing great for a month! Now the leaves are drying up and getting brown on the edges. Then they drop. What is this things

problem?!?! The pictures are a couple days apart.

Comments (6)

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you very much! I'm going to attempt a rescue! Anything special for the soil? On hand I have organic potting soil, miracle grow cactus potting soil and also miracle grow potting soil. What about slow release fertilizer?

  • 9 years ago

    its very stressed .. its not hungry ... no fert .. and no media with fert.. until it settles down ...


    is there drainage in that pot ...


    many peeps do NOT favor MG media ...


    there is a rather active houseplant forum .. where i am sure you can get all kinds of info on media.. potting.. etc ...


    may i ask ... why are you fixated on this particular plant ... i would have given up on such.. after losing the second ... but you went and bought a third???


    BTW.. the lowest leaves are the oldest leaves.. and no plant holds its leaves forever ... i might just snip off the ugliest lowest 2.. and focus on that fresh new growth under them ... that might be more indicative that there is NOT a problem that needs be fixed???? .. maybe you are focusing on the wrong parts??? .. it is not uncommon that plants lose leaves.. due to transport shock..as noted above.. if it came from a humid greenhouse ... etc ...


    ken

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I dont know... I just love how it can get pretty tall. and when its healthy the leaves are huge and green. They say its a great indoor plant. I purchased 2 at the same time. but when it died the nursery gave me a free one to try again. They said not to repot right away... so I figure I give it a shot. But this is going downhill quick. There's lots of drainage. the pot isn't resting at the bottom completely. it crazy how fast this plant goes from happy to sad real quick. My house isnt humid enough either. Oh well... gonna see if I can rescue. Thanks for your advice!

  • 9 years ago

    I moved it into a slightly bigger pot. The roots were pretty compacted in there. Dont know why the nursery told me not to repot yet.

    I used organic potting soil only. I'm hoping for the best. And no more misting. Just clean the leaves. :)


  • 9 years ago
    just to update both fiddle plants did fine for a few weeks then just dropped all of its leaves. this plant has been the most frustrating I've ever had. Oh well... at least I tried.
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations