Software
Houzz Logo Print
staciemarano

Open Shelf Help

9 years ago

Trying to figure out what type of shelves I should get for 2 -3 open shelves in my kitchen. See photos. Cabinets are white, raised pane; Backsplash - Travertine Legno Chevron (meant to be light gray, but turned a bit darker once installed - I KNOW!!! But can't re-do it now...)

Table is Restoration Hardware Parquet table w/ Reclaimed Wood (w/ glass top)

Floors are Jacobean wood.

I am thinking either a painted white reclaimed wood, or just 2" thick white box shelves (floating) but open to suggestions or opinions. Should I do jacobean or will it look too unbalanced? Please include photos if you can!

THANK YOU!

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago

    I think I would do just two floating white shelves all the way across that are about as thick as the border on the cabinet doors and would have the bottom edge of the lower shelf lined up with the bottom of the upper cabinets. :)

  • 9 years ago

    I think any of the options would work well in your kitchen. Because there is so much white already, I'm partial to breaking things up by installing wood floating shelves in a stain similar to your floor.

  • 9 years ago
    Your kitchen is lovely and understated in the monochromatic color theme ...I would use that spot to create a focal point.. and add a shot of color...a striking sizeable piece of art?..

    if open shelving is a must...I would say white is best ...as whatever you put there should be what the eye focuses on...white will also not dictate or conflict with what will look right there
  • 9 years ago
    I agree with the rest white probably works best for this situation.

    Just curious where you got those gorgeous lighting fixtures? Super modern and cool.

    I am also having a black and white kitchen and was thinking to get something like that over my glass top dining table. Clearly we have very similar tastes.
    Always Updating thanked Rachel
  • 9 years ago

    P.S. love your backsplash:)

    Always Updating thanked kjoy1
  • 9 years ago

    Another vote for white. Also agree some art work there could work nicely.

    Always Updating thanked chloebud
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone!! I LOVE HOUZZ. You all have helped me so much!

  • 9 years ago

    @rachel - the light fixture is Home Depot believe it or not!! So affordable. The other lamps in our house are restoration hardware (so NOT affordable!) and this is the one that gets the most compliments

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I see a very large cork bulletin board with rotating pictures and interesting visuals
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hi

    I would like glass shelves with black hardware. Very nice kitchen.


    Best of luck !

    KHB Interiors in New Orleans

    Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!


    https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
    KHB Interiors in New Orleans
  • 9 years ago

    I would do wood stained shelves that match the color of your flooring. Do not try to match whites. Break all of that white up.

  • 9 years ago
    Such a nice kitchen!
    Always Updating thanked Trem Wills
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Please think shelf design also. If the shelves are not capture on 3 sides then they will require a hidden bracket system or a torsion box design. The brackets are expensive at about $75-100 each. The torsion box will require at least a 1 3/4 thick shelf.

    People forget to understand the weight of items placed on a shelf and the thought that is required to design a proper engineered shelf.

    Of course you could also go with traditional brackets but with that span would need at least 3 per shelf. This also still require choosing the correct wood for the span.

    Now you will understand whey your carpenter is quoting $750 for what looks like simple 3 shelves.