Software
Houzz Logo Print
seghi26

Need art help for Dining Room!

9 years ago

Help me figure out what to put on that big blank back wall! I have a side buffet (picture below) coming that I'd like to put two lamps on... with a piece of art over it. I can't do a mirror b/c I have quite a few mirrors on the same wall in piano room. Any suggestions would be helpful!!





Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago

    That last print is beautiful.

    Do you want to bring in color, or stay with the monochromatic look? Are there colors in the adjacent room that you might want to reflect in this room?

    Finally, how long is the buffet?

  • 9 years ago

    I think bringing in some color would be great - Buffet is 78 inches long. I bring in color in my throw pillows in the other room... I rotate them out seasonally (reds, oranges, blues and greens.... ).

  • 9 years ago

    i think this is cool too... has the beige, taupe and grey already in it...

  • seghi26 thanked phuninthesun
  • 9 years ago

    You have a gorgeous home. The buffet is very pretty. I think two large topiaries (like squared off Christmas trees) would look nice on the buffet. With your lamp and reflective surfaces in the other room I would refrain from lamps or mirrors around the buffet. Any of the posted canvas pictures are great (I like the birds best). An airy metal work art piece would also look good like winding vine or leaves in gold.

    seghi26 thanked Christy Reves
  • 9 years ago


    Floral · More Info


    Art Print

    seghi26 thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Lovely room!

    seghi26 thanked graywings123
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I can't imagine vibrant colors in the art of this otherwise monochromatic room. The first few pictures with their more subtle colors would seem more suitable; otherwise the eyes will focus on the pictures and that lovely room will lose impact. Soft and subtle colors with interesting content is what I would choose.

    seghi26 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 9 years ago

    celerygirl, that's a winner. Maybe too "moody" for some, but I really like it.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm always stumped when people ask for help with art because to me art should be something more than "well, it's the right size and color." I'm all about what is it about you; your life, your experiences, your hopes, your happy places, that you want to loOk at and have people who come in to your home look at and ask you about?

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Lois! Some people just need some idea what it can be...and what direction to move

  • 9 years ago

    Well, i was trying to ask you what kind of image you want there. How about something like an oversized framed map of a place that means something to you? This one is cut up gallery style.

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all! Celerygirl - that's amazing! Lois, I totally agree - art does need to be personal... and it should just STRIKE you... but I definitely appreciate the ideas! It beats shopping online for hours on end (which I tend to do anyway :)


  • 9 years ago

    Yes, and sometimes we just need a place holder until the right piece of art coming along.

  • 9 years ago

    Did a little shopping in my art idea book. Just went through the process myself, shopped for hours!

    Original 36x24 Acrylic Abstract Painting 6 · More Info

    Abstract Painting Contemporary Art Hand made Large Art · More Info

    new work · More Info

    Wild Ride Three II Embellished Canvas Wall Art - Bed Bath & Beyond · More Info

    Saatchi Art: COSMIC NURSERY / edition 4/7 Photography by Ysabel LeMay · More Info

    Original painting landscape platinum trees Marems · More Info

    new work · More Info

    Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Night Ticket by Catrin Welz Stein · More Info

  • 9 years ago


    art - Polyvore · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Remember--It's not a conference room in an office. It's your dining room. Keep out all commercial art (mass reproductions, galloping horses from BB&B, something somebody could have seen on sale at Marshalls, giclee (inkjet) prints of paintings with simulated brush strokes, art available in multiple sizes, etc.).

    If it looks as though it could be in a doctor's waiting room it has no place in your home.

    What's important to you? What speaks to you? What would complement the special occasions that will take place in that room? Do you have any great photos of vacation trips (you could use a grouping instead of one large piece)?

    How about local artists? For half the price of that Bernhardt sideboard you could have a significant piece by an emerging artist and a good story to tell your friends about it and the artist and how you found it. That will make you more interesting too.

    On the other hand you could have a story that starts and ends with "And the shipping was free!"

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree with Ingrid..mainly because of the chandelier..it's very beautiful, lots of character..you don't want to switch your focus too much (learned this hard lesson myself in my dining lol), because you want to appreciate both chandelier, and art..and unless you'll get something smaller and put it off-set, the visual lines will intersect, and that would influence your perception.

    so I'd go with something subdued.. and meaningful to you of course..not a problem since meaningful comes in many colors..:)

    (This elephant makes me smile:) One needs to love it though..meant to be loved:) It's just too funny, with its serious face..)) And it reminds me of a song I loved when I was little..something about elephants that got too bored in the zoo, and ran away, and took off and sailed into the sea, on a blue boat..)