Software
Houzz Logo Print
ahfunaki

Is this acceptable? ( Drywall question )

9 years ago

My fiance and I are currently building our first house. One of the issues we are having with the build is in the bathroom. The drywall that goes up to the shower/tub seems to "ramp up" if you will which makes the wall not straight and it's very noticeable. There is a lip going around the edge of the shower with screws securing it in place so I'm thinking it might have to be done like this to cover that up?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is acceptable/normal. In my mind it isn't but I don't want to bring it up if it's normal for this to happen. It became very noticeable when the trim was installed.

I apologize for one of the pictures being blurry but I think you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I appreciate any input!

Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    No, that's not normal. The wall should be straight.

    Wait is that the tub wall and the picture is turned sideways?

  • 9 years ago

    This view is me looking toward the wall and down. The shower is to the right. The gray tile is the floor.

  • 9 years ago

    I can't tell what you're showing. No matter what, the wall should be straight. Maybe it's the framing?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The framing should have been shimmed about 1/4" due to the shower flange. Some rabett the sheet rock to go over this flange. It looks like neither was done in your case.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Your builder must think it is. You need to inform them that they are dealing with someone who knows better.

    Maybe it's done this way to allow for easier removal of the shower in the future?

  • 9 years ago

    It should be fixed. Shouldn't be too big of deal. Trim needs to come off and drywaller needs to feather out from the corner at least 2 feet. Prime, paint and put trim back on. I would consider that an acceptable fix.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all for your input! I was able to take some better pictures today.

    I just don't get how anyone could think this is acceptable let alone many different people that have worked on it from the painters to the trimmers. I guess it's not their problem so they just do what they are supposed to and move on. What happened to taking pride in your work?

  • 9 years ago

    I think the reality is that only a small percentage of the general population notices/cares about these things, and for whatever reason, there is a very high concentration of us here on these forums, especially the building a home forum.

  • 9 years ago

    So I spoke with the builder and he told me they are going to float it. Is that the solution I'm looking for here? I'm pretty sure it is but I just figured I'd ask. I'm not familiar with that terminology?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That will only work if the baseboard is removed and probably replaced; same with the quarter round. Not a big deal if you're working with a real builder.