Software
Houzz Logo Print
ruthdanila

Stay away from Lexington upholstery!

9 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know what terrible quality our new sofas from Lexington are. We paid about 6,000 for a sofa, chair and ottoman 2 months ago. They arrived and I can't even begin to describe the uneven seams, horrible corners and just generally terrible workmanship. We thought we were getting quality and it looks like it was made in China (says "assembled in USA of foreign parts") even though we were assured it was made in North Carolina. The reason I am writing this is that we couldn't find any reviews on Lexington before we bought. Buyer beware of this company!

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Return it

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Can you put up photos?


  • 9 years ago

    I tried to return it but the company I bought it from , Woodbridge Interiors in San Diego won't return it even though the quality control man they sent out told me it was terrible quality and could not be fixed.

  • 9 years ago

    If they won't fix it or accept a return, sue them in small claims. Make sure you have all of your documentation. It is a shame that some vendors take advantage of consumers. Is it work to bring a suit? Yes. But some vendors only learn the hard way.

  • 9 years ago

    Did you pay with a credit card? Call them and file a claim with them.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes. I am in the process. I can't tell if it is Lexington or Woodbridge Interiors that will not refund the money. Woodbridge's customer service rep said Lexington agreed to credit Woodbridge back the money but then the owner of Woodbridge told me Lexington would only give me a credit. Seems like the owner is being dishonest about this. I was surprised how Lexington offered no apology or excuse. I think they just outsource a lot of their pieces and then put the sofa together in the US? I would expect this from Jeromes if I'd only paid $1500 for the set. Can't believe Lexington's customer service did not reach out to me when they received the horrible photos of their product. In any case I so wish someone had given me a heads up about Lexington's quality issues before I'd ordered. Just hope this will save the next customer from a huge headache.

  • 9 years ago

    I did pay with American Express. They are giving me the total run around. I actually used my Amex card in case I did run into any problems and I am pretty disappointed with their response. I keep asking to speak with the person who is charged of my case and no response. I am a very good customer and have never filed a claim. Better to use MasterCard next time.

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry to hear. I have a Lexington BR set, bought around year 2000 and it is built like a tank. I have not tried their upholstered pieces.

    I agree either credit card dispute or small claims court if they do not follow through.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    ruth, I will suggest the problem may come with your local furniture company? There's no way of knowing what the problem may be. I've been dealing with Lexington for years, both for commercial and retail projects and I've never had less than great results. It's possible things have changed these past several years, as my last project using Lexington was in 2014. I have photos showing the quality of the chairs I specified for a condo building lobby. As you can see, the workmanship was pristine. That's why I asked for a photo. I just wanted to be certain that it is actually Lexington!

    260 Cagney Ln APT 211, Newport Beach, CA 92663 - Zillow · More Info

    260 Cagney Building Redecoration · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I have a lot of Lexington furniture, though mainly casegoods, and have always been happy. My one upholstered Lexington piece, a rattan side chair, has impeccable pattern matching, but had a ding in one of the wood legs when delivered. The store I purchased it from sent out a new chair, then transferred the seat to the new chair. This was a few years ago, but my experience with Lexington goes back decades.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Jan, I agree. the furniture store, Woodbridge Interiors has an "F" Rating with the Better Business Bureau. I must warn everyone as well. I have called American Express four times and written a very detailed letter and they keep screwing up paperwork, etc and sending form letters that deny my claim and then reopening the claim when they see they sent the wrong letter. I have a gold card and have always paid extra exactly for the insurance of Amex's customer service. That has gone- along with Lexington's quality. DO NOT BUY USING YOUR AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD. They will not stand beside you. I just requested that a human being call me from their dispute office and Amex told me they do not call customers about disputes.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    OMG!!! I love my Blue cash Amex! Are you kidding me! Get back on the phone and demand a supervisor! It is alarming how service has descended in so many areas. Just say " I'm ready to cut up the card" that usually does the trick.

    Back to the upholstery issue?! Tell them to call the police now because you are gonna have it U hauled to the store...... mid day on. Satirday... and embarrass the daylights out of them . Desperate issues need in your face solutions. Ask me about Best Buy lol

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry to hear about AmEx. Nothing, it seems, is what it once was. I write this tucked into my 25 year old solid cherry Lexington bed. No veneer, built like a tank. We have many pieces of this grand old "490" series. But the pieces I've seen this last decade would make a North Carolinian weep. I feel pretty sure nothing significant about them was "made" in NC. It's crap, plain and simple. Pretty crap, but it will wash away in a rainstorm nonetheless. Sounds like your problem is compounded by a terrible retailer. Very sorry for your grief. We have learned to buy only American, made in America, of American parts. It is tough to do, though.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Karen, I am not too technical with photo uploads but I will try :-)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    AMEX has always give me superior customer service. You have not reached the right person yet!


    And Lexington? Never had anything but excellent quality from them. If they have gone this far downhill, that is truly sad.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Chess, I've called Amex four times and written a letter. Half the time I have gotten someone in India and the phone is always answered initially by a "robot" saying they can help me. I have a gold card and spend a lot of money on the card every year. I have never disputed a charge. I have insisted that I speak with a supervisor in the disputes office and they initially said that was not possible. Amex then said they would have a supervisor call me in 48 hours. That was a week ago. No phone call. I think American Express has gone the way of Lexington. Its all about profit and not doing what is right or what helps people. I stopped all purchases on Amex and am now using a card which does not have the annual $150 fee and offers cash back. If I do ever have a dispute again, I know my new card can't be as bad as American Express.

  • 9 years ago

    Try contacting Amex on Twitter. I would think they would monitor that pretty closely and you might be able to get an actual person to call you.

  • 9 years ago

    Or look for an Amex complaint group on Facebook. Corporations hate bad buzz on social media.

  • 9 years ago

    Does your local government have a consumer affairs office? Contact them, I found that my local government's consumer affairs office was fantastic at resolving a dispute I had with my cable company. Also, since it's also a dispute you have with your credit card company, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    AmEx is the one card that typically has the customer's back. I've had excellent experiences with it, including one in the past 6 months. But their "insurance" is quite specific - it really covers breakage. You have not returned the sofa. Thus us a dispute over quality and your dispute is with the company from whom you bought the furniture.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Drive/haul/cart the furniture to the retail store. You will be absolutely nowhere until it is no longer in your home, and is back on their premise. Take a policeman with you........remember to take photos.: ) Put blue masking tape on all the unacceptable areas. That will get their attention, trust me. So will the SFPD.

  • 5 years ago

    I know this is an old thread, but I'm considering a Lexington purchase now in 2021. I can certainly say that credit card companies DO NOT have anyone's 'back' any longer. They will only come to your rescue in fraud disputes (eg, unauthorized charges, merchandise not received, etc.). Ironically, consumer protections are worse now than ever before, so the best bet is either prevention (reputable furniture store) or taking the store to claims court. I can proudly say I did this with Sofa Express in 2006 and won my case ...they eventually went bankrupt.


  • 5 years ago

    I know this is an old thread, but I am going to add on to stay away from Lexington Furniture case goods also!! I ordered the Avondale Silver Lake triple dresser and Avondale Carreno round mirror last year through my local Stickley Furniture store. The dresser took months to receive (understandable during these times, so I had no issues with delays) When the dresser arrived, the quality was absolutely terrible! There were dents in several places, several areas of unsanded but painted over filler, diagonal cuts through the textured finish on 2 of the center drawers, and really bad paint quality. Stickley ordered a replacement which when delivered I rejected as it was worse. Stickley is taking the dresser back (even though Lexington Furniture refuses to take back or refund as they claim it is within acceptable tolerance - for a $3000 dresser!! ) but I am stuck with the $800 mirror, which was also a different color white than the matching dresser, but has no flaws.



  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Want a terrible truth? Unless you are buying something made in North Carolina? Rest assured it is most likely junk. Can you get lucky? Sometimes.

    ...................But the onus here, is on Sticklley. They never INSPECTED before they loaded that on a truck? To deliver to you? I'd make Stickley take the mirror back too. Stickley aws the agent, and should have refused the Lexington well before delivery to you. As to the real issue?

    The blame is shared by everyone , folks. That is what is sad. You want cheap, fast , and no hard feelings if you toss it in five years or less? That's what sent production to China, Vietnam, .

    Want a dresser? Go to the consignment shop.........paint the "brown thing". Consignment stores are loaded with "brown" furniture.

    Second truth is value/quality has nothing to do with a price tag. In this case ? None of either. At the rate we're going, the landfills will be FULL. and only those in the stratosphere will be able to have anything of quality. Nor will most of them care. ........read the beginning again lol

  • 5 years ago

    I agree about the upholstered goods. I ordered 6 dining chairs and the upholstered seatback tops are puckered. Was told because the back is curved, this is unavoidable. Not true, as I have had other "curved" chairs upholstered without any issue.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    WE TOO ARE NOW VICTIMS OF LEXINGTONS POOR QUALITY FURNITURE! Be careful! Shop elsewhere and read reviews before making an investment of your pieces!

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Another Lexington victim here. $7,500 for a squeaking disaster. called them and Baer Furniture. No one cares. worst customer service imaginable. STAY FAR AWAY. Lexington should be ashamed.