Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_93624

Where to start

13 years ago
I just purchased a wonderful 100 year old 5 bedroom house on 4 lots.. I am currently working on the front veranda and the yard, but when I start thinking about doing the interior, I don't even know where to start... Do you do this room by room or??

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    Walk through and get a good idea of what you want to do with the whole house, then start room by room. You don't want to remodel the kitchen, only to move to the dining room and decide you want to take down a wall. Get a plan. I'd start with the easiest rooms first, just so you'll have a point of refuge when tackling the larger projects.
    And congratulations on the house! It's lovely and what a treasure to be on 4 lots!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with creeser. Make a list in each room. Think about what is most important to you. Rate their importance 1, 2 or 3. Do one room at a time if it is just decorating. If it's big ticket items such as HVAC or replacing pipes with copper, get some estimates.

    If you need whole house decorating ideas, start collecting photos and take a look at them again in a month or a year to see what styles have emerged.
  • 13 years ago
    Would it make sense to start with the floors?
  • 13 years ago
    It's hard to say if it makes sense to start with the floors because we have no idea what condition they are in. But if the whole thing needs paint and floors, then do both before you move in. It is much, much easier to do floors before there is so much as a stick in the house. Test for lead paint before painting anything.
  • 13 years ago
    gotcha.. thank you.. there is so much to do my head is spinning and I want it to be beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    I'd start with things like insulation and hvac first. Then consider windows. If they are loosing heating and cooling like water through a sieve, then change them out. If these are all good, then consider your wall placement. Any to take down or move? Personally, I would paint before putting down new floors. You don't want to mess up that investment with stain or paint.
    When building a new house, it's framing and windows, plumbing, electrical, walls, insulation, sheetrock, paint, flooring and hvac. Basically. Perhaps the same plan could be used in remodeling.
  • 13 years ago
    You've got a great start to making it beautiful. It looks in great shape. Is the interior as well maintained as the exterior?
  • 13 years ago
    the interior is aweful.. lol I guess I should tackle the electrical next then.. the plumbing has been done. It has a hipped roof I guess which means I can move all the wall around upstairs that I want, which is wonderful as 5 bedrooms and 1 bathroom is not what I would want to stick with. Every single room in this house needs to be redone, but oh the potential!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    the furnace is good and the roof is new. The siding is in good shape.. there are two wonderful fireplaces and it's all the origional slat and plaster inside. It used to be a rooming house.
  • 13 years ago
    You can post some photos if you like. Michigammemom is right about the inspection.
  • 13 years ago
    Are the fireplaces functional? Make sure you have them checked out. And if you haven't checked the electrical, then definitely, that's the first place to start. Then decide where you want to move walls next. You don't have to move all of them at once, but know where you want everything.
  • 13 years ago
    If you have a 100 year old house I'd get it checked for lead and asbestos before removing or messing with anything structural.
  • 13 years ago
    it sounds like you have given me a good place to start.. and I thank you all for that.. I will get hold of an electric contractor to begin with.. and am playing with wall ideas in my head.. I have changed my mind so many times, it really helps to see what others are doing and get some good ideas. I really believe this place can be fabulous!
  • 13 years ago
    I think it can be as well! Great house. Oh.. there's a tv show I wanted to mention that does nothing but old houses. It's called Rehab Addict. It's on DIY or HGTV or both. Check it out and maybe pick up some hints that will help you along the way.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you.. I am just beginning to understand that this isn't going to happen in just one summer.. but oh my what a passion this could become!!! :-)
  • 13 years ago
    By no means will it be just one summer. Remember this, all projects take twice as long as what you think they will. *L* Enjoy your lovely house and put your heart in each room.