Software
Houzz Logo Print
erinblackhurst1

Dining Room Dilema

9 years ago

I need help pulling the dining room together. What do I need to do to make it look more finished? I'm also struggling with how to coordinate finishes. Should the light fixture have the same finish as the curtain rod or cabinet pulls in the kitchen? Should bar stools match the table?




Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago

    You just seem to be missing some color. Either switch out your wall hangings or rug for something with more color. Or a table centerpiece with some color. Your finishes seem fine, the light over the table is too high and not centered. The dining table is a different style than the rest of your decor but a colorful rug may help blend that. Your rooms look nice!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The light needs to be something more substantial and centered over the table and IMO a piece of art would be better than the strips of mirror.

  • 9 years ago
    Maybe a bar cart, or a narrow buffet along the wall? That way you could incorporate some decorations to make the space more lively. Also, some flowers on the table!
  • 9 years ago

    I tried hanging art on that wall once, but it just seemed to get lost. How much of that wall should a piece(s) of art cover so that it looks right? And how high should it be hung?

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    I think your place is nice. Like stated above, you need color. Color in the rug and maybe a wide bowl on the table. The color of your curtains is a good start.

    Your light is really high and also like stated above, should have more substance.

    I like your mirrors, but if you are thinking of changing them for an art piece go large like almost the size of the space the mirrors take. Make a statement.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    as stated, new light fixture, hung lower (drop it about 10 inches) and over the table. looks very off center as it is now.


    Millennium Lighting Pendant, Rubbed Bronze · More Info



    A rug w/some color or pattern and/or some nice art work, as shown above.

    I can't really see the colors, but notice you have blue drapes. maybe a rug w/some blues or tans?

    Nourison Karma Blue Area Rug · More Info

    nuLOOM Massey Area Rug, 9'x12' · More Info

    Vintage Oriental Panel Rug, Ivory, 7'8"x9'6" · More Info


    is it possible to get new chairs? Those just seem a little country for the room.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Your chandelier is the wrong style, the wrong shape and not hung at the correct height over table.


    Lightupmyhome 40" Sofia Glass Crystal Rectangular Chandelier, Antique Brass · More Info

    Flip the bench with the two chairs. Now you see the backs of chairs with the light of from the window.


  • 9 years ago
    All the pieces you have are nice, just don't seem to be working together. I think the most important to change would be the light fixture, art instead of mirrors, and chairs if possible. I agree with Beth they are too country. The art you tried before May of been too small, you need a pice that's going to fill about the same space as the mirrors do. I don't know if it's possible or costly but I think if your area rug was banded in blue it would look great. Some ideas:
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Light fixture try -- seems the number of verticals becomes 'lost' 'busy' with the light's stems.... a drum would look contrasting in a nice, simple way.

    Sorry to say that the chair backs are another 'set' of verticals... in a way, fine, but would you like to place covers over them? do people do that? ;-)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Maybe even this blue, which goes with your curtains [?]... well it's an idea.

    Kitchen · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You don't have to have color if you don't want it. I think your room looks nice and though I'm not much a fan of mirrors, yours work with all the windows in the room.

    Do a chandelier this large, this low, and centered over the table. Choose something a bit more contemporary that doesn't look like a builder's light. And no, you don't have to match finishes.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    An updated light fixture, a center piece, possibly different chairs and rug. I would also add a narrow side table against the wall with the decor piece and add different decor pieces over top.


    Artificial Succulents and Quartz in Concrete Bowl, White · More Info

    Michaela Forni · More Info

    40"x30" Blue Waves Abstract Canvas Wall Art Grey Blue Multy · More Info

    Shimmering Petra Gold Ceramic Shells Decor, 3-Piece Set · More Info

    Nourison Karma Blue Area Rug, 7'10"x10'6" · More Info

    Jovi Home Velvet Window Panel, Dark Grey, 52x84 · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Lighting:

    Catalina Olivia Ombre Glass Orb Pendant, Gold/Clear, 11" · More Info

    Maserlo - 1-Light Pendant - Satin Nickel, Black/Gold Shade · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello. I do not even know what here should be changed. Everything is pleasant to me.


  • 9 years ago

    If you do want art, I'd keep it pretty subtle to maintain the peaceful feeling of this space.




  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The chandelier should be lowered quite a lot. It might even be nice to get something a little different to go over the table. Are you wanting to keep the mirrors or go with art?

    Woodside Updated Traditional Home · More Info

    Woodside Model Home · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    erinblackhurst1 we haven't heard from you lately.. The more I look at your room, I like the mirrors. I think if you just added two more panels of your curtains so they look more significant, a medium sized centerpiece on the table and switch out the lighting as suggested that should be great. Your kitchen and flooring are beautiful. Let us know what you think!

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for all of these suggestions! It sounds like I definitely need to change out the light fixture, so I think I'll start with that. I was thinking about a 2 tiered chandelier in a similar style to what is already hanging, but would that be "too many verticals?"

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    The drum light looks great.