Software
Houzz Logo Print
debragoerner

How to hang heavy art without drilling into wood

9 years ago

In this modern flat with many windows, there is really only one natural space for this large, expensive, heavy art to be "hung". We can't drill into the wood paneling and although I have used and loved Command strips in the past. I am a bit nervous about hanging an expensive, heavy piece of art with velcro. Please help; it deserves a special place!



Comments (20)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    A freestanding easel?

  • 9 years ago

    What does it weigh ? Go to a good framing shop and ask for specialty hangers. Or nail into the gap.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you use the hangers , they leave very smalls holes. If and when you decide to remove this, you can easily apply a dab of wood filler to the tiny hole. I'd get two of these that are rated for 50 lbs. I use these for my artwork.

  • 9 years ago

    An easel is a great idea but teenagers, and teenagers friends can not be trusted. :)

    I will stop into a specialty shop... I didn't even think about that, I guess I am just a diy'er at heart. It is a rented flat so if it is a hole they can see that would be a disaster. I thought maybe there would be some sort of hook to go in between the slats??

  • 9 years ago

    you could get longer nails (with this type of hanger) and put it through the slats. matching the wood w/wood filler isn't a big deal. they prob won't even be able to see it after you remove it. Just measure very carefully before you drive your first nail. you don't want to make anymore holes than necessary.

  • 9 years ago

    I was also thinking hang it from the ceiling. I know their are ceiling mount gallery rails (search Google for that) that you can use when hanging from walls doesn't work.

  • 9 years ago

    We've hung art from the ceiling and it has worked well as long as the proportions are right. A small piece will look rather silly but a substantial work looks just fine.

  • 9 years ago

    The hangers that Beth H showed in her first post above are called 'Ooks hangers' and they have never failed me. They have various sizes, and some that support 100 lbs. I'm linking to their page at Amazon - HERE.

  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't put holes in anything if you are renting, could you not prop it on a chest or table?

  • 9 years ago

    I love the idea of a ceiling mount. I will search that option. This piece is huge and heavy so it will look right. I was imagining something like Olychick suggested (I have those in my garage) but I think she is correct in saying these wood slats aren't going to be the right size. But I may be able to hang it from the ceiling. Will update.

  • 9 years ago

    I've had a heavy tile "painting" that I've hung in several houses using the kind of "mollys" that are designed to support heavy things in drywall. That's the best way to go for really heavy (takes two to lift) art, but most paintings do just fine from the nail + brass hanger approach.

  • 9 years ago

    If you are renting, maybe you can get your landlord to pony up for the cost of a ceiling mounted gallery rail--sell it as an investment in keeping you and all future tenants from putting holes in the paneling.

  • 9 years ago

    I think I will ask about that cawaps, I didn't know if it was reasonable to ask but considering the apartment is 4k a month and you can't put one hole anywhere it is really cramping my decor style. What's the point of a gorgeous flat if it looks like you have no style? I have used command hooks for a few spots (but the look is modern so less is more) but I agree, it would be a fantastic investment for the owner.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Another option to consider might be a combination of an easel and a Command Strip that you can do yourself: basically a vertical board against the wall, but bearing on the floor using Command Strips to hold it against the wall, with a cross piece to support the weight of the artwork.

  • 9 years ago

    I also LOVE Command strips/hooks but would be concerned about the weight. Not sure what the max capacity is.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't know your landlord, of course, but I've been a landlord and would probably been on board with a suggestion like that. I'd do the research and come to him with a concrete proposal (this equipment, where exactly you propose to put it, for this much money; the benefit to the landlord). If you can DIY the installation, that would be another selling point.

    debragoerner thanked cawaps
  • 9 years ago

    Take a look again at that second easel. The art is secured to it top and bottom, the part on the floor looks quite stable and it wouldn't stand too far out into the room. It looks to be pretty teen safe/stable and the art can be placed anywhere on the stand so it's not top heavy.


    82" Art Easel

  • 9 years ago

    Command strips might work....putting three or more on the top and three or more on the bottom....check with the store and see how much the velcrow Command Strips will hold.

  • 9 years ago

    Good point from erinsean...you could try multiple Command strips. I think the most weight capacity I've seen for one strip is 5 lbs., but I'm not sure about the ones for framed art.

    Funny...everything I've read says you can't really use the Command strips on brick. We use them every year on brick for our exterior holiday lights.