Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenjoh

Replacing vertical blinds

H K
6 years ago
Just go with a grommet drapery? Keep them open 90% of the time.

Comments (17)

• della70
    6 years ago

Do you need anything there for privacy? Or weather? Looks like a nice view.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

the weather could be improved tho. : /

• H K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It was rainy! That was the pic I had lol. No real need for privacy, but I think I may need to be able to close them sometimes, maybe when it's too sunny. Just need to have that option. And then sometimes we may be out of town for a time, so nice to close up a little, hate the verticals, but they are very functional.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i have 4 sets of verticals in my vacation home, nothing works better for light control and access with sliders than verticals. mine are sort of the same material used for solar shades, and measured and mounted higher on the wall, as draperies are now. so, you could consider replacing your verticals with a more updated style and size. all of the world is against them tho. *sigh*.

• PRO
    Best Online Cabinets
    6 years ago

I'm not too sure what you could do about the weather but I think grommet drapes would look great!

• H K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks ninigret! They are functional for sure, but not very stylish.

• bkeithaz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

About the only positive thing about grommets is that they look cool and modern when they are stacked back and they stack back rather tightly so are great if you don't have a lot of wall space on either side of the window. THEY ARE A ROYAL PAIN WHEN YOU WANT TO CLOSE THEM. If you want them to look decent when they are closed you have to have at least three times the width of the window because of the way the pleats have to fall when they are closed to keep the space between panels closed. Hard to explain without diagram or pictures. I keep mine open usually, but want them to look good when they are closed because I may close them when guests are at the house. If you are closing yours only when you are not there, how they look closed may not be an issue for you.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

There are new modern stylish vertical panels. You should check them out.

• User
    6 years ago

ningret, I agree!

I had verticals in my vacation home. They were very old and I hated them with a passion. They cover sliding lanai doors with a vicious western sun issue. I wanted to replace them with something more modern and "cooler" looking. Couldnt find any blinds with the versatility and sun blocking like the verticals. Soooooo, I got NEW verticals! They work better than the old ones and they are just so darn versatile. Closed when I'm gone, they almost totally block the sun. I keep them all the way open when I'm home and the stack is very small on either side.

helenjoh, if you want versatility, keep the verticals and add some drapery panels on the sides to soften the look.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i figure if we ever sell the house i'll replace them with whatever is of the moment then. for now, keep away from my verticals!

• H K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about the vertical panels? They look neat.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

That's what I said. Like these?

Skyline Gliding Window Panels · More Info

Modern Kitchen · More Info

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

the downside of those is the amount of stackback. not necessarily a fatal issue, but something to consider.

do you have room on each side for them to stack off of the glass?

• H K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I have room on either side. Love them. $$$$ Sigh!

• della70
    6 years ago

I have great luck with drapes from the very unfashionable JC Penny. I bought drapes with grommets and they work very well. Not expensive at all!

• smileythecat
    6 years ago

HD vertiglides check them out, all my customers loved them.