Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliab51

Unfinished new bedroom needs help!

juliab51
6 years ago

This is the master bedroom in our new midcentury house. I like my current furniture, art and painted lamp, but am having trouble finding pillows and lamps to finish the room. I'm not looking for symmetry here, and I think white bedding is the way to go, but beyond that, I'm stuck. The round table is 24" high and the top of the other bedside lamp is 58" above the floor. Ideas, anyone?

Comments (83)

• soccerates
    6 years ago

Make him sleep on the other side of the bed and switch the night stands. Hehehe.

juliab51 thanked soccerates
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is a good thought, Depo, but I don't want to give up my nightstand and its storage. I know he would wreck it sliding the machine around, anyway, and then I would probably kill him. We should have bought a different bed, but now it is too late.

I found this nightstand in the same collection, so if it is available in the right color, it might work. Or would it? I'm no longer sure of anything in this room.

• stryker
    6 years ago

I like your room. The only thing that bothers me is the height difference with the nightstands. I vote for another Stickley. Can you show the CPAP machine in context? That might help with storage ideas.

The green of that pretty lamp is appealing in there. Maybe a throw at the foot of the bed or a pillow in that color or a color that picks up something in your art?

juliab51 thanked stryker
  • glschisler
    6 years ago
    More....
    juliab51 thanked glschisler
  • glschisler
    6 years ago
    And more...
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There are too many pretty pillows; that is my problem, finding ones that go together without drawing too much attention to themselves! I like the idea of fresh aquas and greens, but the art and lamps are rather soft and pretty so I don't want to go too bold with the other elements.

The machine is hiding in the basket under the table in the first photo. It is the size of a large shoebox and sits on the floor at night. In our old house the door was on the right side of the room so the pretty lamp and night stand were the view at the end of the hall, and the table was under a window which balanced things out.

Soccer, after sleeping this way for all these years I don't think we'd be able to switch! It certainly would make finishing this room easier, though.

• rredpenn
    6 years ago

Honestly that room looks pretty finished to me. My standards for a bedroom are: Is there a bed? Are there decent pillows? A light or two? Some pictures on the wall? I could add: A nice wall color/fresh painted trim? Well, that is a a just bonus!

What is it that feels unfinished in there to you?

juliab51 thanked rredpenn
  • mamabear2014
    6 years ago

I would have to agree that it's almost perfect. You should not second guess yourself, julia. It just needs a little "tweaking". I love that word! If it was my room, I would get matching lamps to flank the bed. Place some books under the lamp on the lower nightstand. Then move the other lamp to the dresser where the vase is. Put the vase on the other side of the dresser. Find a soft white matelasse for the bed and some gorgeous pillows and you are done!

juliab51 thanked mamabear2014
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, guys. That's what I need, the right lamp(s) and pillows... and they aren't obvious to me.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    You don't want a chandelier? They are so fun. They bring such an elegance. So many styles. Can really set a mood.
  • Depo
    6 years ago
    Here are some MCM pillows from etsy.
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Idea, chandeliers can be wonderful, and I want a new one for the dining room, but I think the light in this room should come from the windows and the right lamps.

I love those stylized MCM designs, Depo, which is the direction I've gone in the sunroom, but wonder if that is the route I should take here.

I'm going to take a closer look at the first groups of pillows Gl found again in the morning. "On the Verge of Blue" and "Kala" look like possibilities.

Thank you, everyone, for putting your minds to this. I appreciate all the great ideas.

• nwduck
    6 years ago

This is probably current design heresy, but what if you put a floor length tablecloth on your round table? It would give it more visual weight, and with a lamp (silver base) the same height as your beautiful blue and green one you might not notice the height differential of the tables to the same extent. You could have one made in a pretty patterned fabric if you like, then do simple pillows or the one large pillow in a color. I liked the idea up thread of a throw along the base of the bed, too.

juliab51 thanked nwduck
  • 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Nature's Elements Desert Rug 7188/0431 - 7'10" x 10'10" · More Info

Surya Tibey 50"x70" Woven Cotton Throw, Teal · More Info

juliab51 thanked 111ideahound
  • Depo
    6 years ago
    I'm sorry Julia, I thought you wanted it to be MCM. Your duvet pattern looked to be going in that direction, to me. Going with duckie's suggestion for a tablecloth, you could put blocks under the table to raise it to give it more presence.
    juliab51 thanked Depo
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The house is a 1956 rambler and my living and dining room furniture are all MCM, but this room is skewing more classic contemporary. I like to keep things very simple and practical so won't be using a tablecloth, but have moved the lamp. (And will move the art to the right.) I think this is the way to go, and with swing arm lamps with white shades by the bed. What do you think?

• mamabear2014
    6 years ago

The swing arm lamps will draw your eye up a little, I think. Maybe the difference won't be as noticeable. Do you have an At Home near you? They have tons of pillows. All colors, shapes, sizes.

• juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't think we do have that store, though I have brought home and returned over $600 of pillows from Crate and Barrel, West Elm and Room & Board, trying to find the right ones for this room and my sofas. Pillows are hard for me, which is why I'm nervous about ordering them online. Right now I'm using a $15 body pillow and cover from Target.

• soccerates
    6 years ago

I really like the swing arm lamp idea. It eliminates the nearly impossible search for coordinating lamps and shades that are each different heights but end up at the same height/horizon on the wall.

Here's thought for the end of your bed. Instead of a throw, what about a hemmed piece of fabric that is big enough to cover the width of your bed, tucks in at the foot and goes about 30" from the foot toward the head? (Like what some hotels do.) I'm sure you could find a pattern/color/texture that would work with your art and pillows. Besides if it happened to get dirty from your terrierists you could toss it in the wash. Btw, I was joking about having your guy switch sides of the bed.

juliab51 thanked soccerates
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know you were joking, Soccer, since the idea of switching is just crazy talk.

A bed scarf would be a good way to add color and interest, though that would mean finding the fabric.... I think I'll look for lamps first, which should be easier.

• liasch
    6 years ago
    HI...saw your link on Stryker thread...pillow talk I am in!!

You have a very restful colour scheme going. I would take a good closeup of your art, which is lovely btw, and go someplace like HomeSense and buy three to five pillows in that colour scheme. The big bolster isn't very cozy IMO...

But if you must keep it, you could look at swapping the cover for stronger blues. Then add a couple more, maybe in soft blue prints.

A throw in a nice texture, in a blue would be nice.

Lamps are hard. I like the one you have. What about a ceramic vase with faux flowers in it, or even just the vase? Some small art pieces on wall over shorter table would bring the eye up.
    juliab51 thanked liasch
  • liasch
    6 years ago
    Yes, pillows are hard to get right. I wouldn't do online with colour, myself.

Another option is fabric...more choices, you can buy small samples and test colours, then purchase fabric, sew them or get them sewn.

Here are some inspiration shots to show what I am saying...

Photographing your art and having it with you will help when you are shopping. Not suggesting these colours specifically btw...!!! Smaller pillows, colours mixed, are easier to get right. Then, no one pillow stands out too much.
    juliab51 thanked liasch
  • Depo
    6 years ago

I like the lamp over on the dresser. I think you have this room figured out now!

juliab51 thanked Depo
  • liasch
    6 years ago
    Just skimmed the thread. You have very interesting art, and a feature lamp...which looks good on the bureau btw.

I agree, keep the pillows very soft in pattern, or it will compete. You could go for solids in a range of blues and greens, that relate to your palette...with perhaps varied texture and shape.

The wall of the headboard looks a bit bare now without your feature lamp though. I like the idea of the chrome or brushed silver wall mounts. Still think that wall on left needs a stack of small images, perhaps even photographs? Stacked.
    juliab51 thanked liasch
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is nice to hear your thoughts, licksch.

I've had no luck with the solid colored pillows I've tried so far, so while we were without power for a few hours this afternoon I went to Calico Corners, where I found some patterned fabric. Here are five of them:

I also found these shiny lamps online, which would match the chrome in the bath and on the door hardware.

• 13 3/4" high x extends 13"-22 1/2" from wall x backplate is 5" round.
    • Shade is 9 1/2" across the top, 11" across the bottom, 7 1/2" on the slant.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I love your lamp and your artwork. I haven't read most of the posts here as there are a lot, but the only thing i' d suggest is a colorful comforter.

juliab51 thanked artemis_ma
  • soccerates
    6 years ago

How's this: Have two small square pillows made from the mcm leaf print. Then find a sateen or chintz or dupioni silk in one of the turquoisey blues and have a sham/pillowcase for your body pillow made from it. Have a bedscarf made from the print too. Or switch all that and put the body pillow in a print with accent pillows in a solid.

Those lamps are perfect.

• Depo
    6 years ago

I like the lamp, Julia! The first 3 fabrics are my favorites.

• rredpenn
    6 years ago

Agree the lamps are perfect. :) Love the fabrics too, esp the leaf one, as the room has a few "tree" elements in it. Keep us updated!

• mamabear2014
    6 years ago

I like the leaf pattern and the bottom fabric. The swing arm lamp looks great!

• liasch
    6 years ago
    I agree, I like the first three fabrics. Those, in some combination, would work well. I like the grey-blue, it's softer and (I think) matches your palette best. Also, the three are linked by a similarity in feel, as opposed to the last two.

That's the trick with mixing patterns.

Lamps are perfect I think.

I like the white bedding, which just uses texture for interest. It's crisp, with the white woodwork, and provides a nice contrast to the dark furniture and walls. The bed is a large area, and a printed fabric would (again, repeating here) detract from art I think.

I like the white accents...the lamp shades, bedding, are very clean looking.

The whole room is very restful and coming nicely!

For your fabric...I recall calico corner is not inexpensive. What I have done is bought 1/4 yard of each fabric I am testing. Cut in half, across the middle and put side by side, that gives you a half yard width which good sized sample to judge.

Then you can stand back and get an impression from a distance. Part of the reason selecting pillows is such a pain...we see them close up, and out of context, in a store.

Usually, in a room, they are seen from a distance. Makes it hard to judge the effect. I have a pretty good eye, but I have returned lots of pillows...lol. Zaz, if she shows up here, will likely tell you the same.

I had some dusty rose pillows I loved...in a print...but got them home and no matter what I did, couldn't get them to work.
    juliab51 thanked liasch
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My favorites are also the first three. I think I have to eliminate the leaf and last prints, though, since they have ivory backgrounds and look rather sick next to my white duvet cover, which is new and I do like. The fourth seems kind of predictable, but the first two look like real contenders to me. I'll have to see if my guy can get on board with the patterns.

• glschisler
    6 years ago
    The lamps you found are perfect! Were you able to bring home fabric samples? Can you make your own pillow covers? If not , Calicos can probably suggest someone. I have made them many times, but lately I have always been able to find pillows I like. ( In fact, too many;))
  • rredpenn
    6 years ago

I ran into this pic on Houzz this am, and thought the rug and pillows would look cool in the bedroom. Something about the colors, the patterns...? Maybe it's because I liked the circles and waves in the patterns. They seem to evoke the pattern on the duvet and the circle art and the circles on the lamps you chose?

It seems to interrupt the geometry in the room, while respecting it, too? I dunno. I'm no pro. LOL

from this houzz pic...
    [https://www.houzz.com/products/buy-area-rugs-chiyah-efir0691-geometric-rug-blue-multi-50x76-prvw-vr~75981790[(https://www.houzz.com/products/buy-area-rugs-chiyah-efir0691-geometric-rug-blue-multi-50x76-prvw-vr~75981790)

• juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the mockup, rred. It looks good. I agree with your thinking here, though I think the rug's colors combined with the pattern might be a bit bold with the art and lamp. I also want to stay with as few things as possible that have to be stored when we get into bed. I know my guy will fuss every single night if there are too many pillows plus a throw.

• Lindsay Tilton
    6 years ago

At Live Good, they have a Stone Blue solid pillow that would bring in some color to the room while still keeping a clean look. All of their products are organic and made in California.

Organic Solid Decorative Cotton Pillow, Stone Blue · More Info

juliab51 thanked Lindsay Tilton
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    6 years ago

You have such a lovely room. We recommend that you get a rug for underneath the bed, and try sconces on the walls instead of lamps. This should lead you towards your MCM desired look.

Atlanta Transitional Home: Bedroom · More Info

Family Bedrooms · More Info

juliab51 thanked Nandina Home & Design
  • liasch
    6 years ago
    I think rug or bedside rugs are a good idea...Stryker had a similar problem, and I believe ended up with beside the bed rugs...size took some time to resolve. I would go for something softer, though, due to art work...ie more plain.

Or very traditional...
    juliab51 thanked liasch
  • 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Loloi Rug, Mist/Aqua, 5'3"x7'7" · More Info

possibly?

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Polka Dots 14"x14" Art Silk Teal Blue Throw Pillows Cover, Teal Polka Dots · More Info
    Zardozi Rose Pattern 26"x26" Art Silk Light Blue Euro Sham Covers, French Love · More Info

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Your artwork has different blues and teals. You can easily do a nice combo with both of these pillows I've posted, bringing in brown which I feel needs to be brought in just a pinch.

• juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These are some very good suggestions, but we don't want to add a rug right now. This is our summer home and considering our two dogs that shed a lot I like the simplicity of the hardwood floors.

I ordered the swing arm lamps, and am still considering what size and shape of pillows to get. We sleep on standard pillows and have two king size ones to prop in front of them. Those can be covered in the white cases that go with our white sheets, or I can search for colored cases or shams for them. Then, thinking of how small the room is and knowing they will end up on the floor at night, I would like just one or two pillows for the shot of color the bed needs. I still am thinking about this fabric I found the other day. I like the colors and the playful Chinoiserie pattern which goes well with all the Asian art in the rest of the house. Having it made up at Calico was somewhat pricey, but a few Etsy shops seem to offer it, too, so I just need to decide if I can get by with one long rectangle or need a couple of squares. Once this is decided I'll look into a throw or something for the foot of the bed.

• nwduck
    6 years ago

That was my favorite fabric, julia. Something really different. I like the one big rectangle...only one pillow to take off the bed, hahaha.

juliab51 thanked nwduck
  • mamabear2014
    6 years ago

I like the fabric now that I see it on the pillow. I bet the colors are much prettier in person also.

The first time I made up our bed with all the pillows (9 total), hubby was getting ready for bed, and he looks at me and says, "What do I do with all these pillows?" For now they get tossed in the corner, but I am looking for a large basket to throw them into at bedtime. Don't you just hate when you know what you are looking for has to be out there and you cannot find it??

• indomom
    6 years ago

I didn't see any comments on the bedside table from your collection that you posted. Is it the same height as the one on the right? I like it and feel it would "even" out the space and look beautiful with your new lights. I love that fabric--the Asian inspired one. Your home is breathtaking!

juliab51 thanked indomom
  • juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Depo! I'm going to have to go to the store to really see if I can match the finish and hardware of what I already have, but apparently the two styles are within an inch in height of each other. Since I just missed a sale I'll wait until spring if I decide it would be worth doing. I'm glad you like the fabric. I'm about to order a 22 x 26" pillow right now.

• rredpenn
    6 years ago

Don't you appreciate that Stickley has a predictable once a year sale? I've taken advantage of that a few times. :)

• juliab51
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think they told me it was a four times a year sale, which seems dumb to me. Why would anyone ever pay full price when the sales come so frequently?

• rredpenn
    6 years ago

Geez ours is strictly an annual, spring thing. What a rip off we get, living here in the sticks. Get it? LOL

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH