Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allisontrogdon

Urban Loft Decor help

Allison Trogdon
6 years ago
I'm struggling to decide on how to place accent furniture and what accent furniture would complement our living room space. We moved into our loft recently and due to the open floor plan we've had to create separate living spaces. Right now I want to focus on the living room area. Our apartment is very urban and industrial, but I'm trying to soften it up with a little Bohemian vibe here and there. I like the look of mid century but I did not want our place to be drowned in MCM in it's entirety. We are slowly, but surely putting the place together, and I need your help with a coffee table, lamp(s), end table(s), throw pillows etc. we love our Persian rug and we would really like a glass coffee table so the rug shines through. Behind the sofa you'll see a table, and that is our dining area. We have not purchased chairs yet. (we can move onto the dining area next ) The loft is pretty empty right now, and we are focusing on furniture only before we really get into any kind of decorating. Although, I think the loft has enough character on its own and doesn't need a ton of decor. Attached are pics of the Livingroom. Thanks for the help!!

Comments (575)

• Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    All the reviews focus on comfort and they all say they’re very comfy.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I really like it!
  • Amoeba-meba
    6 years ago

Cool chair!

• kulrn
    6 years ago

• msmbennett79
    6 years ago
    Turn that beautiful rug 90 degrees and extend it under the tv. Then you can play with sofa placement and it gives you more room and more options for additional seating and for the dining area.
  • DH
    6 years ago

One more for the menagerie.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

Having urban loft withdrawals, LOL!

• Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry I have been MIA guys! I have really over committed myself to some things recently, but I am ready to jump back into the Loft decor routine! I received my bench and my desk,a nd I will post some pictures of those later today. Also, Rob and I have decided to DIY some abstract art pieces for over the buffet once we move it. I know, I know, some of you might scoff at this, but we are excited about this fun project. I will be doing a few trial pieces first just to make sure I have not completely lost my mind. haha We are definitely getting the Rattan chairs, but we still have not decided on the tv console, which will be our next piece.

kulrn We love this chair! Is it from Article? I still think we want to go camel leather for this piece, but I love the shape of this chair, though I wonder if it would be too large.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Well, since we are confessing, I have also been considering a DIY abstract project!! I feel like it is kind of art-ignorant, assuming I can just play at being an artist, but what the heck. Mine would be for the a tall, narrow, private stairwell so buying a real painting would also be disrespectful to the artist! I also don't care for reproductions of real art unless they are a signed print or poster from an exhibit or something. I mean, no one is going to believe I have a Cezanne, so why not just let the museums have their fun. I can't wait to see how you do :)

I really think you should seek contrast with the sofa in shape, leg, angle, and fabric.
    Allison Trogdon thanked greenfish1234
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Some thoughts
  • Ramona Abuin Opperman
    6 years ago

May I say only one thing? Pull the Persian rug out further. I think you will find the look changes.

• PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    6 years ago

Great place! I agree with you a glass coffee table would help showcase your vibrant rug! I also love this contemporary camel colored accent chair paired with your chesterfield sofa. The end table and floor lamp would also be a nice compliment ad tie in for the space. Good luck!

[chair[(https://www.houzz.com/products/randall-allan-krisie-chair-prvw-vr~84335417?lid=65768213)

[small end table[(https://www.houzz.com/products/malcom-side-table-gray-prvw-vr~79848687)

[floor lamp[(https://www.houzz.com/products/albert-floor-lamp-prvw-vr~12846066)

• Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

greenfish1234 I can't wait to see what you do as well. If we go through with it we are using two very large canvases (yes, we have measured), and we will be following some Pinterest pointers. Rob will also be making our canvas frames as well. :) I am pretty good at knowing when my ideas are not so good, soooo if they turn out terrible I will definitely admit it and not use it.

Ramona Abuin Opperman, what do you mean by pulling the rug out farther? we have tried this quite a few ways, and this way absolutely works the best, feels the best, and looks the best IMO.

• DH
    6 years ago

I love the idea of anyone and everyone trying to do their own art. There is room for everyone to be creative and share in the joy of making something. I do a lot of art and have taken a TON of art classes most of my life, and I am now even considering taking on some art students of my own. Do I know everything? Absolutely not! I will continue to learn and grow and explore my whole life. And can someone who has never done much art before create something that looks great and will be amazing in their space? Absolutely! Chances of creating good pieces increase the more you do it and as you develop more skills with practice over time, but I have seen some absolutely amazing pieces created by people on their first attempt. All you need is the desire to give it a try. You may create a masterpiece your first time out, or it may not be what you hoped for, but the main thing is to just do it, enjoy the process, and be open to learning something along the way. If those are your primary goals, you will be sure to succeed.

Insider’s Tip: you can always paint over a canvas again if things don’t work out the first time.

And, if you don’t mind me sharing a little story... My last suggestion is to be open to “happy accidents.” I developed a whole new style of painting that was much more like what I had in my minds eye after a fellow art student accidentally dumped a whole container full of oil on my freshly painted oil painting. (I had stepped out of class for half an hour to take care of something). When she frantically started trying to clean it up with tissues and paper towels, the fresh paint started lifting off the canvas in very random and sporadic ways and my art teacher had to intervene and decided to leave it be before anymore of the painting was disturbed. When I returned and saw it for the first time, everyone was cringing, waiting for my reaction. I looked at it a few minutes, and then said, “Awesome! That’s more like What I wanted. I was trying to figure out how to have some more variety and textures in the painting.” And now, I still frequently will use that technique to manipulate my edges in my paintings or create soft textured backgrounds, etc.. So don’t worry about making mistakes, sometimes those can be the best part.

Looking forward to seeing your creation when you’re ready to share. Cheers! :-)

Allison Trogdon thanked DH
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

25 years ago when we lived in a loft apartment with 30 foot high ceilings, my husband and I made our own "abstract art" too. We put a 9'x9' canvas on the floor, on top of a tarp, got naked and body painted each other and made a (cough cough) sex painting with body imprints and rolling around on it. People would comment suspiciously on our DIY "abstract art" and we never told his mother what it was. She gifted us some green sconces to match it. Ha ha ha! It's in the attic now!

• Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mrykbee this is great!!! I am working on small "trial" pieces now just to get the feel of painting again. It has been fun.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Woooohooo mrykbee!!!!
  • Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Mrykbee you should post a pic of it!!
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Love this chair...
  • shwshw
    6 years ago
    Hoping you get some spare time to show us your new bench and desk.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I know this is probably not what you had in mind but I still like the idea of a swivel chair.

This PB one is ah mazing. We have it at my store and I can vouch for the leather quality and it is SUPER comfortable.

I also love the west elm version but the tufting on this one makes it even more comfortable and the stock leather (comes in a bunch of others) already looks broken in.

This is a chair you will have for a long time. Not a piece of Wayfair stuff that you dislike 2 months after you take it out of the box.
    Allison Trogdon thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Wow Melissa. I literally took a picture of this an hour ago as I was perusing my PB catalog and thought of Allison! My only hesitation with it is that it has tufts and I have a bug in my butt about too many tufted pieces in one room.
  • Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Soooo we were at Pottery Barn if you weeks ago, and we both sat in this chair and decided it is very much the chair that we want. It’s probably the most comfortable chair I’ve ever sat in. It’s a little more expensive than we had planned on spending, but I think it’s well worth it. How coincidental that we all thought about this chair!! :)
  • Allison Trogdon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I completely forgot about posting my desk and bench. I will do that tonight when I get home. Greenfish, where is the chair from that you posted? The cream color one. It looks familiar to me.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Great minds think alike!
    Gfish I hear ya about the tufting but this chair is stunning. That's one of the reasons why it's so comfortable.

I just started a PT holiday job at PB and all I want to do is sit in this chair.

It's not one of those chairs you get and no one really sits in it...it's like everyone wants to sit in this one.

I think it would look great in your room Allison....

But wait for another sale, with the holidays almost here they are pretty much every day...
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I also love this west elm one now on sale for $599...a womb chair knock-off
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Just saw they extended the 25% off again today....
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Love both those chairs Melissa!
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Love your space and have been following to see how it all comes together. Thought I would share that we have the PB leather chair you are considering it is very good looking and comfortable. Not sure what the wait time is now, but when we ordered it a year ago it took over four months to get. PB seems to be having stock and delivery issues.
  • DH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mrykbee! Your story definitely beats my story! Ha!

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    I keep seeing these amazing MCM consoles and man if it were me I would go in this direction for the TV. I have found Chairish and 1st Dibs To have great selection and where out of one antique purchase from each, one went perfectly (1st dibs), and the other was an epic disaster, Chairish made good in the end and I got some really special pieces for great prices and never got sore feet :)
  • lbytwerk
    6 years ago
    Love your space and choices. Can you please msg me the EBay contact info for your rug? It's just what I'm looking for.
  • pat1250
    6 years ago
    Following
  • scunniffe
    6 years ago

following

• Jane Gray
    6 years ago

I just read this thread, and love following your decorating adventures! I can't wait to see what's next!

• shwshw
    6 years ago

Allison Trogdon where are you??? I would love to see where you are now in your decorating.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

Ditto!

• Harper
    6 years ago
    OMG where is everyone?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Me too!
  • Marsha Lorentzen
    4 years ago

I thought I saw a final product picture of this living room sometime ago. Anyone know what happened? I found this thread because I was searching for that finished room pic. Remember even Sophie loved the room.

• kulrn
    4 years ago

Don't know. I think about this room a lot!

• shwshw
    4 years ago

I do to. One of my all time favorites.

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Ditto

• User
    4 years ago

Your space is so cool. Because that awesome brick has that ultra cool wording functioning as art, I’d think about using that buffet in different part of your home and replacing with a lower media console. With a reduced height that lettering isn’t covered up by and the TV. and the TV would be at a height easier to view, easier on the neck.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I don’t see a recent post from Allison. :(

• greenfish1234
    4 years ago

Red did you click the link? It shows the finished product:)

• Marsha Lorentzen
    4 years ago

greenfish, thank you so much...Red, the finished product is in her first post of August 2017,...could not find on this thread.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Found it. Thanks. It looks fantastic. Houzzers really came through for her.