Software
Houzz Logo Print
kalligirl

Need advice on house paint color.

9 years ago
So our painter is coming a little earlier then expected and I still have not picked out the paint color for our house. So I need help please. We are not painting our brick so it will remain this taupe color. We are painting the siding and the porch. I was thinking of trying to get a taupe that matched the brick so the whole house would be the same color. I need thoughts on that as well as the porch. If we did do that would you paint the siding along the porch also? We just had the black wood shutters made and we are thinking about painting the front black yo go with them. Would the house be to dark with everything taupe and black? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago
    Here is a better look of the porch from the spring without all the plants full grown and before we put the new shutters up
  • 9 years ago
    Really attractive and classic as it is. If you really want to go with a taupe, go with a very pale tone of taupe.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for the compliments on our house. This is the color it was when we bought it and it needs to be painted so I figured if we were going to paint it I should change it up a bit. My husband is stuck on a black door because we were going to order a craftsman door that was black with the dentil shelf and the sidelights to match with dentil but we decided to hold off on that and just paint the door for now. We have had so many compliments on this red / orange door though. It just needs to be painted. This landscape we did a few years back has overgrown this space so in a few weeks all of these hydrangea will be transplanted to the back and there will still be white hydrangeas across the porch just a little smaller and thinking about some kind of red behind the boxwoods. Maybe red double knockout roses. I wanted to be able to see the porch more and these Annabelle hydrangea grow huge by July and cover the house so I wanted them moved.
  • 9 years ago
    Your taupe-ish and black house.
  • 9 years ago
    I rather like the hydrangeas.....they add so much texture and movement to your landscape ( like dancing balls!) Do you cut them back in early spring to control height? Love your hedge, and, yes, do add some red- flowering perennials to pick up the door's beautiful color. Knock-out roses may be too pink, perhaps they have a variety which would better match your door?
  • 9 years ago
    I also like the way it looks now. If taupe, go a lighter tone. Keep the red door.
  • 9 years ago
    I love the hydrangea up until July. We are going to be putting BoBo Hydrangea in place of the Annabelle only because they have a heavier stem and hopefully will not fall over. I would like to have a new bench on the porch that you can see. We cut the hydrangea back in the fall down to the ground and they still grow like crazy in the summer and eventually fall. It looks so pretty until mid summer. It looks great from the street but kind of a mess when you walk up our walk. That one picture is from the spring when they start growing and this picture is now.
  • 9 years ago
    Yes I seen what you mean.
  • 9 years ago

    I like sage green with most brick shades. Like everyone else I don't think you need a color change but I would pick a more neutral shade of white this time.

    I also think it would help if you opened up the hedge in the middle to make the entrance more grand.

    The lanterns are a good idea.

    I tried to make a picture. It is not good but conveys the general idea.

  • 9 years ago
    Look at Houzz photos "green exteriors with brick" for some ideas.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    As others have said your house looks good as it is now. We don't think you should paint the door black, leave it red. If you do paint the house the taupe color, go light.

    Praire-Style Home · More Info