Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_marx

Kitchen- paint or replace cabinets

9 years ago
Cabinets are beautiful Inside. Not loving curve at the top or exposed hinges but also don't want to spend the money to gut.

Comments (21)

  • 9 years ago
    It's really pretty wood.

    I'd get updated hardware, new backsplash, take out the ceiling light, maybe a more updated table and chairs?...
  • 9 years ago

    Have you just moved in? These look like high quality custom cabinets.

  • 9 years ago

    How about considering all arched doors only to be replaced with frosted or clear glass front, squared off style door since the cabinets are gorgeous?

    Then, brushed steel hardware to match your appliances;

    narrow glass or stainless steel back-splash tile; and

    counter-tops and island in a solid surface type material (I like soapstone myself, but i see you have light color counter tiles)...

    The table and chairs are fine, but you could introduce color with cushions and place mats....


  • 9 years ago
    Make the upper cabinets into open shelves, and or as someone has said, replace doors with frosted glass doors.
  • 9 years ago

    If I moved into this house I would think it was very pretty! I probably would put any money into new counters and backsplash rather than paint - but then I like stained cabinetry. I also have the curve, and have considered new doors. I have a much smaller space so not so many doors. However, in the end, the curve doesn't really bother me and I am resistant to throwing out perfectly good doors. (My similar, but not nearly as elegant kitchen is in my "my pics" idea book with quartz counters, new backsplash and farm sink.)

    Kitchen is really fine. Turn of HGTV and enjoy:)


  • 9 years ago
    Remove kitchen light and surround, that an easy fix! Pick out new door knobs or pulls, Lowes has lots of chooses and They don't all have to match, bet eww no the upper and lower ones.
  • 9 years ago

    cabinets look dated because of whats around them.

    remove the funky light box and replace w/recessed or a nice pendant for over the island.

    remove the pineapple glass upper cabinet and replace w/another type of glass.

    replace all cabinet hardware with a bar type of handle.

    remove the 1990's white tile and get an actual countertop and a different backsplash. Ditto for the island. That is so small you could find a remnant piece of marble or quartz and have it cut to fit.

    As for the countertops, look into getting a pre-fab counter. they come in 9'X22" , finished edging, counters.

    It would be half the price of buying/fabricating a slab.


    you could always paint the island. trim out the sides and back, get a new top for it and paint. (is that a prep sink? do you need that?)


  • 9 years ago

    Thanks all! Yes definitely replacing overhead light, counter tops and backsplash. Trying to decide on paint or replace cabinet doors.

  • 9 years ago

    Rhoda - Beth H hit the nail on the head. Your cabinets are fine. Its what's around the cabinets that makes them look dated.

    Your cabinets are still very much in style, so I'd keep the in them as is.

    Just work on the lights, counters and backsplash. Take Beth H's advise, you can do a make-over without spending gobs of money.

  • 9 years ago

    Gobs is right the estimates to gut and redo have been $90k plus.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    what?? 90K?? everything I mentioned above, I could do for under 5K. easily. Where do you live, Rhonda?

    you don't need to gut the cabs. if you really hate the style, get the doors refaced. that would be in the 5K range,,,and paint the rest,,another 5K. new countertops,,about 2K. Backsplash, about 1K.

    90K is ridiculous. what in the world were you getting for that amount?

    If you want to gut and replace all of the cabinets, custom made cabs would be in the 20K range.

    I'd refinish the floors too. looks like they need it.

  • 9 years ago

    Your cabinets seem to be of good quality and in good condition. Agree with others (and Beth H is just spot on!) that just some minor facelift is needed. Do biggest "offenders" first: lights, countertops, backsplash, and pineapple for clear/rain glass. Then see if anything else is needed.

  • 9 years ago
    I have a German friend and she commented one time that Americans are wasteful. She's spot on.
    You have a great kitchen, don't ruin it. Replace counter tops and remove sink on island, make overhang slightly larger. Replace backsplash. Replace pineapple glass and the overhead light with small pendants.
    You might consider painting door and window trim white.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You kitchen cabinets look like they are in great condition and you have some great suggestions above. We agree to get new lighting, pendant lighting for the island. Also remove the pineapple, get new hardware, new backsplash, and new counters. Also updating the dining room table lighting and dining room might be nice too.




  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello


    Painting the cabinets and adding hardware in a different look can really update the look of the kitchen without pouring tons of money in to it. I would use handles with clean lines to keep them up to date without going to modern.


    Thank you

    Info@nyhardware.com


  • 9 years ago
    simple paint the cabinets white replace light above sing island cabinets should be darker like a gery and upper cabinets too replace back splash and countertops a simple update would both concrete countertops which is cheaper than to buy real countertops and can definitely done as a diy and for the backsplash I'd use a net tile which is cheaper and easier to install add new handles more contemporary and easy to clean
  • 9 years ago
    Are kitchens with two different color of cabinets in style? Lighter ones on top and darker ones on bottom? How does this sound!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I wouldn't call it so much as being "in style" or not, but it's a definite option. Having uppers and lowers a different color, or the island a different color, has been around for at least 20 years, and is still a good look. So I would say it's a matter of personal preference, but no one will think it strange or outdated.

  • 9 years ago


    Paint the cabinets, -replace the counters and back splash and lights. Strip and restain the vent hood to compliment your newly Professionally Painted cabinets.


  • 9 years ago
    I see you don't care for the exposed hinges. Bear in mind it's more likely your hinges will become more prevalent if you paint the cabinets. The current stain color hides them well.