Software
Houzz Logo Print
tom_cotter

Need help with Bedroom & Bathroom Design

13 years ago
Hi

I need help with the layout of my bedroom & bathroom. Attached is a picture showing the layout. The bedroom and bathroom used to be divided by a cupboard/wall made in the 80's. We have now ripped out the cupboard/wall to update the space.

We would like to have more storage space.

I need help with layout ideas. Should I build a wall again or make it open plan?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Regards

Tom

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    is the only window in the space the bathroom window?
  • 13 years ago
    Unfortunately that is the only window. To the left is another bedroom, to the bottom is the entrance. And to the top is the neighbors.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would leave the top of the closet open to allow light going in the bedroom form the bathroom area.
  • 13 years ago
    The space is big enough to set bed, dressing room and bathroom, everything closed, in the same order as they were before. If you have just the bathroom window you could do the upper part of the closet with glass, as well as the doors from one to another space.
    Note that selves and drawers for closets just need about 450mm. You can use a part of the firts volume at the closet to insert some kind of recess that at the part of the bedroom you open and use as a self for the bed.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    In order to get as much daylight as possible into the bedroom, I would build 2 closets, one at the top of the plan and the other at the bottom. Each would be about 700mm deep.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Carolyn, there's something I don't understand: why 700mm deep for the closets?
  • 13 years ago
    OnePlan, your project is ok but would very expensive because to do this the floor must be raised and not just a few, it also means having a little stair (unless there is another bathroom just at the same place at the down floor, which I doubt). And I think the bedroom is not wide enough for all this furniture....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @Yolanda, maybe my metric measurements are off. I wanted the 2 closets to be a little over 24" deep so that there could be two rods and two shelves across whatever width is available, making the closets deep enough for clothes to hang, which is usually about 24"
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Yolanda - thank you for your comment on my idea - but Tom did say Any ideas would be welcome - so I put up my idea ... Without doing a site survey it is impossible to know if this is possible or not, which Is why I also suggested getting a plumber in to quote . This is, after all a friendly help site, a place to swap ideas and help people !
  • 13 years ago
    Metric sistem is the guilty: 24''=61cm. That's perfect deep for closets, but this as maximum, including backboard, doors....In fact, interior drawers are anyways 45cm deep (17,7''), and this is also enough for selves, you are right that this 60 cm. are needed to hang clothes; for this reason open dressings don't need so much deep, hangers just come a bit out from the selves level, so you can save a bit of space.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I apologize if my comments have offended anyone, it was not my intention at all.....but as a friendly person as I am as well I was also swaping muy ideas to help......pros and cons must be considered....isn't it?