Software
Houzz Logo Print
megan_willingham

Livingroom Fireplace... HELP!

8 years ago

My goal is to hang a 60" TV above the fireplace. I know, I know everyone is going to suggest not to, but for entertaining purposes I would like to. As of now, hanging a TV above the mantle would be nearly impossible and if possible, I would break my neck trying to watch it.


Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?


I was considering lowering everything. Demo the hearth, maybe make it flush or completely do away with a hearth all together. If I lower everything, do I also bring down the fireplace opening?


Would you just do away with a mantle? Demo the bricks holding the mantle up and place the TV in front of the old mantle instead of shifting everything down?


I would also like to find a solution to hide the wires from TV to cable box. Maybe drywall the top of the brick to run wires behind? Also need to figure out a home for the cable box and such. Any ideas?


I'd like to put a gas insert in. How difficult would it be to convert from wood burning to gas? I already have gas in the home. I know I would have to run a new line to the fireplace but would it be worth it? What about ventalation? Is that something I can do down the road if its too costly now? As hanging the TV is my main goal.


I'm open to any and all ideas.. I'm okay with keeping the brick or covering it in some manner. I know some will say the brick is dated, but it is a brick colonial home. I'm trying to stay considerable traditional with a little contemporary/modern twist. I plan on buying furniture from Pottery Barn if that helps with style.


Thanks to all in advance!




This is the view with you back towards the fireplace. You can see why I want to mount the TV here, a view from all rooms.



Maybe something like this but can I leave my brick at the bottom instead of stone to save money? Also would like a smaller mantle, I'd like the TV as low as possbile without looking odd. What are your thoughts?



Potential sofa

Potential layout for the room.

Comments (4)