Software
Houzz Logo Print
susharod

anyone have neolith countertops that they love?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was pretty set on getting neolith porcelain countertops however my fabricator really seems to prefer silestone. He insists that Neolith chips insanely. My issue is that silestone suede finish countertops I'm being told is more prone to stains than polished quartz. I have a white Caesarstone right now and definately stains. Not soaked through but surface stains.. which needs an hour of softscrub scrubbing to get off. Red wine, tumeric etc. I really would love to hear if people have Neolith and if they love it.

Comments (19)

  • 8 years ago

    If you haven't already, do a search on this site for Neolith. I recall at least one other post or article that was detailed.

    Sush A thanked Anne Duke
  • 8 years ago
    thanks Anne.. I have already read everything on here in terms of posts. I'm not seeing anything that anyone posted recently (in the last few months) in terms of experiences
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I saw some sintered at a big box recently and was unimpressed. It's a picture on a big 'ole piece of tile. Unrepairable piece of tile.

    Sush A thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    I have Neolith counters and love them. My contractor and fabricator tried to talk me out of them as well -- it's because Neolith is very hard and thus difficult to fabricate.

    During fabrication, the back splash slab shattered and a new slab had to be purchased (at my fabricator's expense). They were not happy with our choice and Neolith is known to be a real pain among fabricators. Check out this video of a piece shattering during a poor install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4ob5_3txc

    I have had no problems with chipping, although we've only been using the kitchen a few weeks. So far no problems with staining at all - I left red wine on the counter and it wiped right up. Mine is the satin finish -- I have heard that the polished scratches, which is why we steered away from it.

    Sush A thanked Pipdog
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for sharing this @pipdog. Glad to know you had same experience. I unfortunately was told that I'll have multiple seams since my counters will be long etc. Made the decision to go with silestone. Not happy about it but my fabricators nervousness really rubbed off on me.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you are looking for a nice top with a matte finish you should go for Corian... it is making a huge comeback with all the new finishes they offer....

    The seams are almost invisible and the tops are completely repairable...

    Just a thought!

    Sush A thanked Debbi Washburn
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you pull something out of a 450 degree oven, that heat with transfer through a trivet - but that's not good for any quartz or granite top either.... I having been warming up to all of those solid surface tops vs the cold stone... they seem to fill a void in the stone industry...

    Good luck!!!

    Sush A thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 8 years ago

    Thats good to know.. thank you. I have Caesarstone right now in my current apt and have had no problems with baking at high temperature and using a trivet on countertop. The countertop doesnt even get warm so Im hoping that's the same case with Silestone. Of course Neolith would have been better :(

  • 8 years ago

    What about the Classtone line -- the Calacatta looks amazing. It is quartz or porcelain? Their marble copies look amazing in pics

    https://www.neolith.com/en/collections/modelo?modelo=07

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I wouldn't take a very hot cast iron skillet off the stove and put it directly on ANY countertop! I rarely put pans on my countertop as I plate from the stove, and then put the pans into the Corisn sink. After 33 years, I still love them. I did Glacier White - even reused them with last year's remotely with new cabinets.

  • 8 years ago

    Pipdog - do you have more pics of those beautiful counters?

  • 8 years ago

    We have had our Neolith countertops for a few months. They look great. I did have one minor issue with the glue on our seam that happened in the first couple weeks, but once repaired no additional issues or concerns have arisen. Here are some pics.



  • 8 years ago
    Please see my post entitled Pix of CRACKED NEOLITH before making a material choice.
  • 8 years ago

    went with silestone calacatta gold in the end in 12mm thickness suede finish.


    Very happy with it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Corian does have a marble-look! It's called "Rain Cloud" and it's lovely.

    The key with any countertop material is your fabricator and installer. If one shows a hesitation to use a particular product that you want, look for someone else!

    I love the look of Neolith and did look into it for my own kitchen remodel. It's gorgeous stuff, but I could not find a single experienced fabricator in my area and I had no intention of being his "learning experience" with such a very costly material.

    So, I kept my 31 yr old Corian Glacier White countertops and added to them in one area. Perfect match as it's still the same product! I've been happy with them for a very long time and have no regrets 2 years from my remodel. They wear like iron and are timeless. Heat through a trivet? What was being put down - cast iron right from the stove on a high burner? Nothing can endure that - it would scorch wood!

    A bit of common sense is required in any room and particularly in a kitchen. Don't cut on any counter surface. At the very least, it will dull your knives badly; at the worst, it will leave scratches/gouges. Don't leave spills for a long time. With Corian, one could leave a bad spill for the entire summer and it would clean up when one returned; not so with many other surfaces. Have children/teens? Teach them to respect their own home! If they abuse it, make them pay to have it repaired. They do NOT get a pass due to youth! If the child is out of the high chair/playpen, then he should be able to follow simple instructions.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    rockybird, sorry for the delay in responding. Not sure if you're still looking into Neolith, but here are a few more photos. We've been using the kitchen for 9+ months and so far no issues. We are happy with it. Our installer was very experienced with this product, which is, as others have noted, very important when choosing Neolith.

  • 8 years ago
    Hi All-
    If you read my posts from previous year I would not recommend Neolith. The material chips easily and the company is totally unresponsive and lacks any customer service kills. I would advise anyone to keep away. On the plus side it looks beautiful when it's not chipped.
  • 7 years ago

    Diane Iseman I remember your earlier post about the fabricator using sealer on your Neolith. How was that resolved? If you prefer to answer through email, my email is margom@temple.edu

    thanks,m