Software
Houzz Logo Print
walshplace

New bath

8 years ago

Need help. My basement was recently plumb for a new bathroom, passed inspection Sept 8. Plumber never came back when he said he was. No shows, missed appts, no returned calls. I hired another plumber to close the floor and build me a mud shower pan so I could move forward. Not only did he do both but he said he could do my rough in for my drop in tub, Kohler Underscore, 30x60. The work has been completed, my shower bed is too thick and he set my tub in mortar. I explained to him I needed to waterproof the tub frame, surrounding wall for a custom niche and tile the deck before putting the tub in.

What steps can I take to remedy this. I am a DIY person, I pulled all the necessary permits, HVAC, Builders, plumbing and electrical. Im doing everything but plumbing and electrical. I'm currently drywalling, tapping and sanding. I will also be doing all my own tile work, painting, door framing, installing flooring and custom mouldings. I'm very particular, I love the creativity and tedious work, I have all the tools, plus, its rewarding.

I've halted all work. I'm trying to decide on how to move forward. Is there some trade secret to waterproofing and setting my tile without taking the tub out. One friend suggested I shorten, cut, a 1/2" out of the bath frame. Not possible. If I take the tub out will it be ruined, as far as the shower pan goes, is taking it out my only option and would my drain be ruined.

I have paid the plumber. I didn't give him the specifics regarding the thickness of the shower bed, I just assumed considering the height of the ceiling he would not have made it so thick. His response was, your shower won't leak, and I could tile around my tub.


Any suggestions. I work on this project a little bit each day. I'm finishing my basement myself and I'm my own GC.




Comments (3)