Software
Houzz Logo Print
saimarashid

Help please. Need to brighten a small kitchen

13 years ago
I have a small kitchen with a little dining area. It's all cream. Want to add colour to it but not sure how without making it look smaller than it is.
I have bought red kettle and toaster but not sure what to do next. Help .....

Comments (26)

  • 13 years ago
    I think an area rug, window curtain, light fixture, and a piece of artwork on the dining wall would do wonders.
  • 13 years ago
    This is a pic of the kitchen
  • 13 years ago
    What you can try is get light curtains then add more color by going someplace not too expensive and add splashes of colorful accessories. Great room btw!
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely lighting in both areas. Thinking of ceiling flush cubes in the kitchen side and hanging ones over the dining table.
  • 13 years ago
    Any recommendations on the paint?
  • 13 years ago
    I like the white walls. You could consider doing something interesting, like wallpaper or stenciling, to the back wall with the dining table.
    Some nice lamps and under cabinet lighting will make a real difference. As will a good colourful piece of art, or a couple of smaller pieces, in your dining area. If you get framed posters for instance, the glass is a reflective surface and will act as a mirror without being as boring.
  • 13 years ago
    You know what, don't worry about making it look smaller by adding colour. It will make it visually more interesting and then no one will notice how big or small the space is. Really.
    You have a beautiful kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Some one suggested painting the ceiling. Is that a good idea?
    Iv chosen red colour for the accessories but don't think it'll be a good idea to put red on the ceiling.
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry forgot the photo
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm... wouldn't paint the ceiling in your kitchen. The photo you posted is really cool and I love the purple ceiling in that one, but it's a larger space with bigger windows. And it attracts a lot of attention. Doing something funky to the back wall will be a better option in your case. I wouldn't paint it red if I were you, red is a nice accent colour for the smaller things.
    But lime green could be nice. Or a really bold wallpaper.

    Condo unit interior renovation · More Info

    Reclaimed Work of Art · More Info

    apartamento residencial l vila olimpia · More Info

    Morcos · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I agree with carolins, don't paint the ceiling especially a darkish color. That will feel like something's hanging over your head.

    Are your counters wood? They look really nice. Here are some bright colored accent pieces that would look great with your red appliances
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with carolins about doing something wild to the back wall. As for the window, how about a valance in a bold pattern? You get color and keep all the light.
  • 13 years ago
    How about a colourful light fixture?
  • 13 years ago
    Here a few inspiration shots...
  • 12 years ago
    I would add toe-kick and under cabinet lighting, a colorful valence over the window, or a dried flower arrangement, the width of the window. A colorful print, the width of the table, or small pictures, in even rows would do the trick. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!
  • 12 years ago
    one more thing; how about giving the dining room wall some bold color?
  • PRO
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Dark colors actually receed and make a space feel bigger.
  • 12 years ago
    Under cabinet lighting would be a low cost brightener. Too many color "pops" in a small space sometimes defeats the purpose.
  • 12 years ago
    How about adding a tile backsplash between the countertop and wall cabinets? It doesn't have to be brightly coloured but will add detail and interest to the room. There are some beautiful glass and mother of pearl mosaics that will look beautiful with under cabinet lighting on them.

    [houzz=
    Supon Phornirunlit/ Naked Decor · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Tyrol Hills Residence · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    I had the same problem with a dark kitchen. I fell in love with a Velux product. 14 inch sun tunnels with the flat glass roof profile option.. I used the Ross Lovegrove "Green" light fixture that uses sunlight. I'm attaching a small picture and description but you have enough information here to get better pictures and more information online if you'd like.. This is available by special order at Lowes. I used two and raised the ceiling enough to put them in coffers. The effect is stunning. There are also 5 4 inch can lights around the perimeter. Good luck with your project.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The photo of the coffered ceiling with the Lovegrove fixtures was taken just before sunset but during the day the amount of light is much greater.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Careful placement of recessed can lights with full spectrum bulbs.
    Royfill
  • 12 years ago
    A colorful backslash will also add some nice touch of color to it
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can brighten it up with a colorful glass tile mirror backsplash. Also try changing you light fixtures in your kitchen as well as adding LEDs under your cabinets.
    Silver Uniform Brick Silver Mirror Bricks Glossy Glass · More Info
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations