Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aussie180

Seating placement

Tina_na_na
6 years ago
Hi there,

We have a small home in the middle of the woods on a little island in the PNW. I love living here, but I am having a difficult time figuring out furniture size and placement in our small living area.
One thing I love about living in a small home is our propane stove heats our entire house. What I don't love is the hearth the stove is on takes up half our living room. The brick comes out from the wall five feet. Is an area rug out of the picture?
I am open to all ideas and suggestions. I know what I like, just not sure how to pull it together. Help me please

Thanks

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    6 years ago

Your home is very fitting of the PNW style, as a fellow Pacific North-Westerner I would know! :)

Your do not have a ton of options for the floor plan, as you can not place your TV on the same wall as the brick fireplace. You could have two swivel chairs in front of either side of the TV stand. Then a sofa could be placed in front of the wall opposite the TV.

Also, an area rug is always a bonus in any room. You could select that first to help establish your color scheme.

[Swivel Chair[(https://www.houzz.com/products/randall-allan-thompson-swivel-chair-prvw-vr~84335450?lid=65768249)

• PRO
    CL Designs
    6 years ago

Hi Christina. Your home looks really nice so far! Nice job!

The stove is lovely. I see what you mean about it taking up a lot of space, but an area rug would still fit, given the dimensions you gave. I would recommend a round one with a standard-sized sofa over it.

If you want the stove to remain the focal point, situate the sofa parallel to the dining table, facing the stove. (I assume, from the photos you gave, that that table is across the room.) If the television would fit where the Juju hat is, that might be a good place to mount it on the wall so that there will not be a glare from the window currently across from it. Then, angle a comfortable chair next to the sofa, toward the television and stove. If you can fit one, add a coffee table in front of the sofa and chair. If not, add a small side table between them and keep the space in front for using the stove and walking.

If you choose to make the television the focal point, it may be helpful to either lighten up on the size of the furniture so that you can angle it toward the wall across from the kitchen, or to mount the television on the wall in the corner and keep the standard-sized sofa and comfortable chair positioning, as outlined for the stove focal point positioning description above. Does that make sense?

I hope it helps! Enjoy your space!

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I would do a small sofa facing and centered on the TV, and chairs flanking the TV console. I would NOT do a rug. The hearth juts out too far and it will either have to be too small or be off-centered. Neither will look as good as a bare floor.

• Tina_na_na
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh, and I got this today! I love butterfly chairs. Any recommendations for statement light fixtures and ambient lighting?
  • PRO
    CL Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Great! I'm glad you like that idea! As far as the cowhide rug goes, it would look amazing in your living space because it would have organic, uneven perimeters, as well as the hues you have in your space already, no doubt. Also, the sofa looks nice because it brings in the lighter browns from your kitchen, and 94" would indeed fit there.

For lighting, it might be nice to get at least one table lamp, plus some dimmable can lights or a cool, flat flush mount for the ceiling.

If you want to go a bit greener, given the items you're drawn to, it would be most useful to keep an eye out for signs that the furnishings you like are at least local, durable and/or recycled/recyclable. ...I wish you well!

• Tina_na_na
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @CL Designs, you suggested another thing I had not considered, adding canned lights! The walls and ceiling were previously painted tan. It was a nice neutral color, but I felt like I lived in a khaki cave. With all of the trees surrounding our home we get little natural light, so I painted the walls and ceiling BM Cotton Balls and it has helped freshen the space up a lot. We also added cedar strips to the the boxy drywalled ceiling beams. The couch I referred to earlier in the tobacco color will be in our home today. Lucky us, we get to try it out before pulling the trigger on purchasing it, so I will post pics later. Meanwhile I'll post a pic of another couch option. We already own this one and keep it in my husband's home office. The color and fabric scare me though having in a well used living room with three kids five and under and a messy 18 year old. Pic is from our old house.
  • Tina_na_na
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is the living room with the sofa we are thinking about buying. The sellers live on the island and want us to try it out first to see if it works in our home before purchasing it, how nice is that?! Almost everything we own is second hand. The butterfly chair was picked up from a thrift store yesterday for a whopping $17! Anyway, the cream couch in the corner is part of a Nicoletti set we own but my husband wants to get rid of it. Maybe we sell the big couch and keep the love seat? What do you think? Is it too clunky in that corner? I'm trying out all sorts of arrangements.
    Also, I threw our coyote pelt onto the cream couch to add softness, texture, and tones. With the coyote skins, would a cow hide be overkill (literally)? Our friends are trappers, they are also on the show Mountain Men on the History Channel and happen to live next door to my mom in the middle of nowhere Montana, and sent us the beautiful skins.
    To sum it up, is the brown couch a keeper? What about the cream couch? Keep it or sell it as a set with the matching big one? AND maybe get a different plant, maybe one that grows upwards for the corner behind where the butterfly chair is? I don't have much of a green thumb so I wouldn't know what to get.
    Thanks!
  • Tina_na_na
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Different angles. Too crowded?
  • jck910
    6 years ago

I would get rid of the loveseat