Software
Houzz Logo Print
kamarshall13

Need help picking out an area rug

8 years ago

Please see pictures. I have a slipcovered Pottery Barn sofa in oatmeal (the fireplace picture I have it covered with a sheet because of kids). I want something to warm it up. Walls are Alpace Grey by SW. I have two small children so the material of rug needs to be taken into consideration.



Comments (20)

  • 8 years ago

    You could do so much! Something a little darker might help to hide stains a bit.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks! I am just not a blue person. I know I need to get pillows for the sofa, etc.

  • 8 years ago
    Here are some rugs from cb2
  • 8 years ago

    Oh that poster art is not staying there. We just have it sitting there:)

    I am looking for something cozy and warm for a rug.

    \

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    OK, but bringing in some warmer colors would include some gold or yellow, or orange, which colors appeal so we have a better idea of what to select for you.

  • 8 years ago

    Well, you are giving us literally nothing to work from. I have oatmeal and gray, the vanillas of decor. Don't like blue. No accent colors, no art, no sense of your style, nothing. How to suggest a rug that won't immediately be shot down?

  • 8 years ago

    I just bought the furniture and I need to put the finishing touches-such as wall hangings, pillows for the sofa, and any other ideas. I was just trying to focus on an area rug first. My style is more of a modern, rustic farmhouse. Off of this room is my kitchen that is white cabinets and grey/white quartz countertops. I have a farm table in that room.

  • 8 years ago
    You could really go anywhere with this. I'm assuming you have already looked though the houzz shop for rugs? You can get a ton of ideas there for style, design, colors, etc. At this point, you could really go any direction. You could layer a large sisal with a smaller colored/patterned rug, or choose something big and bright. Right now your room is very neutral so you could use a rug as a statement piece (that's less permanent than a bright sofa), or choose pillows and artwork as statement pieces and choose a neutral rug. Either way I'd try to work in a definite flavor for the room, and use it as a theme to help you with other design choices.
  • 8 years ago

    I think I would rather go with a neutral rug and choose pillows/artwork to add the pop of color. I am horrible at decorating and so looking for any and all advice.

  • 8 years ago

    I haven't looked through the houzz shop for rugs yet.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You room needs pattern and color and the best way to get it is in the rug. You can add pattern of a different scale for pillows and some art that works with the colors from the rug. Using the rug as inspiration is good. You have all plain solid surfaces right now. Flooring, sofa, chair so you need some action in the rug.

    This type rug would help you anchor your space and give you lots of options to go forward from. Your leather chair would be great with it and your slip covers are neutral. Then you can pick any of the colors to enhance the room with pillows and accessories and art.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    A couple pillows like this would work well, or even one of these on your leather chair.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    A couple of these for your sofa. With the smaller pattern on the rug, you can use larger patterns to coordinate.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    Add texture with a plain but textured throw.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    Then simple artwork over the mantel would be relief from multi-color of the stone in the fireplace and balance the other colors. But notice the spot of camel color that would speak to the leather in the chair. Nice combo. Perfect for "modern/farmhouse" look.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hello kamarshall13 and Houzzers.

    These days many different materials are used to make rugs. With children, I would recommend purchasing a wool rug for durability and stain-resistance; they're also naturally flame resistant (no off-gassing). Rugs made out of Polypropylene are often treated with fire retardants and other chemicals (everything from dye to herbicides that protect the product during storage and transport) which can evaporate (hmm, that new carpet smell - a mix of several toxins and carcinogens) and leach out. If you are concerned you should contact the manufacturer and ask if there are any toxicology results for their products or what they are doing to make their product more environmentally and health friendly. Many companies have these data and simply don't publish them in easily accessible places.

    Natural Materials

    Wool (Rug Quality: High-Very High)

    Silk (Rug Quality: Very High)

    Cotton (Rug Quality: Low)

    Hides and Leather (Rug Quality: High)

    Jute & Sisal (Rug Quality: Low-Medium)

    Synthetic Materials

    Polypropylene (BCF) (Rug Quality: Low)

    Heat-Set Polypropylene (Rug Quality: Medium to High)

    Frese or Shinny Heat-Set Polypropylene (Rug Quality: Medium)

    Viscose (Rug Quality: Medium-High)

    Polyester (Rug Quality: Medium-High)

    Microfibre (Rug Quality: Medium)

    Artificial Silk (Rug Quality: Medium)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Here is a mood board to better help you visualize what you can do in your nice room.
  • 8 years ago

    Love this look...

    Lotus Magnolia Home @ Pier 1