Software
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Need lighting suggestions

8 years ago

We are remodeling our master bath which is about 10 x 13. There are 8 ft ceilings. The room will be mostly open except for a small recessed toilet alcove (42" deep). The style is contemporary.

We currently have the old 6" recessed lights everywhere, including 2 in a bulkhead over the vanity area, and 2 over the soaking tub. We are removing the bulkhead over the vanity and I was thinking of adding 3 vertical light bars on the wall behind the vanity (dual sinks). I also want a light over the shower area (42 x 63). And we will have a 67" freestanding tub across from the vanity, with windows above. I'm thinking 4" recessed LED fixtures should used throughout to give the room a clean, contemporary look. Is this the size most people are using in this application? Any suggestions for brands, trims? Other suggestions?

Comments (2)

  • 8 years ago

    Hi. I am not a pro but just someone remodeling my master bath. I am contemporary and am leaning towards using channel lights on either side of my 2 mirrors over the vanity. My designer suggested mirrors should go from top of bathsplash to ceiling. He also suggests the Panasonic fan/light over our shower (large) and our recessed toilet alcove (small or medium). I am also adding a ceiling fan with light as it gets hot when I use my hair dryer. I am making a recessed rectangle in the wall (for a glass piece or one of my ceramic pieces) above the toilet with a small recessed light. Not sure this is enough light so am still thinking about this, but I LOVE the channel lights they are showing now! Did you check out Trulight? Expensive but there are other brands that are less money. Good luck!

    numbersjunkie thanked Gayle Retske
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Gayle! The light channels sound great - I searched for Trulight but didn't find it (can you provide a link?). I did find other suppliers and is something I may consider if it would fit in my budget.

    I thought about having the mirrors go to the ceiling - the less choppy the space the better! But I don't think we'll go that route for two reasons - first, I don't want to have to clean all the way up to the ceiling! Second, I am getting medicine cabinets since we really need the storage. I am getting either 36 or 40 tall cabinets to get the most contemporary look.

    Wondering exactly which Panasonic fans your designer recommended, and how large your space is? Two fans was not something I had considered, but it would solve the problem of controls that would serve both areas, and the combo fan/light would also reduce the number of pot lights needed. I just wasn't sure I liked the look, but I guess we'd need to have the fan there anyway so maybe that's not a valid consideration.

    I would love to hear some more details about your space if you are willing to share! One thing I really want to do is to tile the entire space, floor to ceiling. Our main tile is a soft grey/blue with very little texture; it looks like a solid from a distance. Avoiding the need for a paint color selection to blend would be a big relief. Just not sure how costly that will be.