Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhondafromcanada

What would you do with this kitchen?

8 years ago

What would you do to update this kitchen? The cabinets are solid maple and high quality. Not my favourite colour but I can’t change them. Nor can I change the flooring. I will change the range hood and cabinet hardware. I’ve always wanted an island and have the room to do so, but was always stuck on the colour. I finally found a quartz countertop that is beautiful with the cabinets and flooring - Snowy Cliffs. I will look for a creamy-white clean looking backsplash - nothing statement making. If I do those two things what about the island? White with butcher block? White with Snowy Cliffs? Have it made to match my existing cabinets? I’m so stuck and too close to this project.


Comments (21)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think your kitchen is wonderful! All I think you could do to improve it is maybe a better light fixture and a back splash. I think a nice larger cream colors subway back splash tile would looks great in there.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Verona Home Design. Yes the light fixture, I never changed it assuming I’d have new electrical done for an island someday.

  • 8 years ago

    I don't understand your statement that you "can't" change the cabinet color. Why not? Those cabinets look in great shape, but you have to have them painted or stained (that color is simply too out dated). Then I would put up a back splash. Update the counter tops. And then put in an island and hang pendant lights over it (remove that existing light).

    rhondafromcanada thanked cpaul1
  • 8 years ago
    Those are beautiful cabinets! I would not paint them. It looks like you need doors on the uppers above sink. I would opt for a little something special on the backsplash as your space is plain so far. i think i would do a dark base island (black, green, or blue) with the same new counters or a light contrasting stone, but not butcher block as you will have too many different wood tones for harmony.
    rhondafromcanada thanked Wendy H
  • 8 years ago

    cpaul1 Thanks, a darker wood stain would go so much better with the rest of my flooring and furniture. I wish I had a white kitchen and would paint if these were oak or a wood grain I hated, but the maple is too nice to me for painting. I’m going to seek quotes for staining.

  • 8 years ago

    wmacvinnie - Thank you! I’ve stared at that shelf above the sink for years thinking it was the wood colour that bothered me, but you’re right. That unit was supposed to be a window, when one couldn’t go there due to structure, the kitchen designer gave me this open display. It’s always looked unfinished to me because it wasn’t what I wanted. We already have a lot of doors happening, so I’m going to see how it looks replaced with two floating shelves instead.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    forget about staining them. maple is very difficult to get much darker than it already is. Either leave it or paint them.

    here is the snowy cliffs. would look nice w/your tone cabinets.

    here's your non-showy backsplash. can't get much planer.

    these 3x12 tiles in an Ivory (lancaster line, tilebar.com) would also look nice

    doing an island something like this, in the white, would work

    look into getting some recessed lighting (the kitchen is very dark over the cabinets) and possible under cabinet lighting. over the island, do a few pendants.


    rhondafromcanada thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Beth! I love the white island idea and love the herringbone backsplash. Yes, my lighting situation needs an overhaul and what I do depends a lot on my island. I will of course seek a pro if I stain and be sure to see samples.

  • 8 years ago
    New light fixture, love the herringbone cream tile idea, curate the open shelves with colorful pottery, rug, cream island.
    rhondafromcanada thanked cottageisland
  • 8 years ago
    Put LED light ropes on all cabinet tops to lift the gloom of a shady ceiling. Put an oriental runner down from the fridge to the corner. Put in a 24-30” flush mount fixture with some sparkle.
    rhondafromcanada thanked jbtanyderi
  • 8 years ago
    I think the cabinets are beautiful, why not update the hardware, add some backsplash, an island and update the lighting. I think those changes would wonders.
    rhondafromcanada thanked gmaxhome99
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hello. I would advise you to recolour this kitchen in white color.

    rhondafromcanada thanked Milano Doors
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Rhonda, your cabinets are beautiful, the only thing you need to update is countertop and backsplash like others suggested and you all set.

    Good luck

    rhondafromcanada thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We recommend a new light fixture and a nice backsplash. Perhaps a cream color subway tile? Otherwise your kitchen seems really nice.


  • 8 years ago

    Try liquid gold polish on cabinets. Really cleans the them up and adds depth to wood

    rhondafromcanada thanked Jacalyn Sisto
  • 8 years ago

    I think the two cabinets installed higher than the others cabinets creates an odd look. Usually the cabinet above the sink and the cabinet above the range are shorter cabinets so that you get critical work space in these two areas, the top of the shorter cabinets usually lines up with the other taller cabinets creating an even horizontal line. Your designers decision to use the standard cabinets and install them higher was an odd choice. I think if you get two shorter cabinets installed with doors matching the other cabinets it will look much better.

    I would definitely install a cream colored subway tile back splash but in a running bond pattern not a herringbone pattern simply because this will be too busy a look and you will spend significantly more on tile to create this herringbone pattern.

    rhondafromcanada thanked jmdrouin
  • 8 years ago
    Remove both higher cabinets. Over the range do a full stainless
    steel hood all the way to the ceiling. Over the sink no need for anything. Backsplash to top of cabinets.
    rhondafromcanada thanked gustaruygers
  • 8 years ago

    Above and under cab lighting. Backsplash, Flooring. New flush mount light. Cab hardware. And some kind of big kitchen cart/work table- not an island.

    rhondafromcanada thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I think you have a very nice kitchen that only needs small updates like others have stated. I actually like different heights of cabinets but think the color differences on the one over the sink are throwing things off. I do also like the suggestions of removing those those two and putting an updated full exhaust over the stove and something decorative or unique over the sink. Cream back splashes as above look very nice. Would be nice to see something creative but complimentary for island choices.

    rhondafromcanada thanked urbansl
  • 8 years ago

    Personally, I'd consider recessed lighting, black or pewter hardware on cabinetry, and a painted island with the same hardware on it (depending on the clearance, that is). Good bones!