Software
Houzz Logo Print
tandac

outdoor chairs

13 years ago
I was given 6 of these chairs. was planning to keep them but they do not seem to be good for a house with small children. (tiny hands could get pinched in the fasteners). As seen here they need refinishing. Soneone suggested stain; another paint. Anyone have any input? I will also need to have a professional look at the fasteners, as one crashed while I was reclining. there are at least 2 positions they can adjust to. I'm hoping to redo and sell them, unless I can figure out a way to make them more child friendly.

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    I am so jealous, I love them! Refinish them and make some cushions for the seats could be an option. Get special seating for the kids and still keep these for guests. They won't be little for too long! I love the weathered look they have now.
  • 13 years ago
    Tung Oil (you can get it at Home Depot) works wonders
  • 13 years ago
    Find some towels that are on sale and make "slipcovers" for the back and seat...washable and absorb sweat.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Paint them some fun colors!
  • 13 years ago
    I second the power washing and then the tung oil!
  • 13 years ago
    thanks for the insight everybody ! maybe i will keep them. I need to find someone handy to help me with the mechanisms so I don't end up with my back on the deck again! I was told they are adirondack chairs -- can't believe my friend got these free at the town dump swap shop. other than the latches, they seem to be very sturdy just weathered. love reading all the comments. think ill be checking out tung oil and I never thought to pressure wash.
  • 13 years ago
    Pressure washing will bring them down to new wood.
  • 13 years ago
    ok. do should I pressure wash, then tung oil , and leave at that? or if we decide to paint, just power wish then prime and psint?
  • 13 years ago
    You could probably, if you like the look, leave it after that. Yes, I think skip the tung oil if you are going to prime and paint.
  • 13 years ago
    I would bring one to a reputable antique dealer. They look like teak cruise ship chairs. Don't do anything to them until that. You might have a real little gold mine there. They are not Adirondack chairs. That's a very different style entirely. And ask the antique dealer about a reputable repair person.
  • 13 years ago
    whoa great comments here. and Beth I can't thank you enough. will do that ASAP making the call now.
  • 13 years ago
    also, meant to ask Beth Bourque and anyone, how do I find a reputable antique dealer? don't know where to start. thanks again.

    also I think
    they did come from a yacht club so that makes sense. I was confused about the adirondack thing which is what the guy at the dump thought.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    do not pressure wash, it will beat the wood up, repeat do not pressure wash, do this if is Teak. To clean weathered teak, a two part cleaner consisting of a step involving a base such as caustic soda and a step involving an acid, such as phosphoric acid. This product is easy to use and will produce dramatic results. First remove the piece from any finished surface or remove any items that might be affected by the cleaning process. Teak cleaner will not hurt the lawn or fiberglass but it may damage painted surfaces or stain a patio, always wear rubber gloves and goggles when using this type of cleaner. Using a hose, wet the wood thoroughly. Open the applicator lid of the first cleaner. It is best to work on a small area at a time, overlapping each area and working from top to bottom, not allowing the cleaner to dry on the wood. If the base is scrubbed with a dish-washing abrasive sponge or a soft bristle brush, the wood will turn a deep brown color. Rinse thoroughly, then apply the acid to the same area and scrub in the same fashion, the wood will then turn much lighter. Finally rinse the area thoroughly with water, the teak should appear obviously lighter and cleaner, if any stains remain repeat the process. The wood will lighten further as it dries.

    Teak cleaner will remove teak oils, food stains, the residue of varnish, and teak sealer. Any solid surface coating like varnish must be removed before using two-part cleaner. Never use a brass brush or a pressure washer to clean teak, these methods will scour the soft grain of the wood causing a rough and splintery surface. Never use steel wool to clean teak because it will produce rust spots in the wood. Brass wool is acceptable but a Scotch Brite Pad is the best tool to clean teak.

    Once the gray pigmentation and stains are gone and the furniture piece is dry, sanding any roughness of the grain can make the furniture seem just like new again.
  • 13 years ago
    Check your yellow pages and try to find the antique dealer that has been around for the longest period of time. You could also contact someone who manages estate sales and ask them if they could help or recommend someone. You could have something worthless, but because you said the wood was in such good condition, I think you have something good. Adirondack chairs have tall backs, deeply slanted seats, and large arms. The yacht club info is making me hope I'm right.
  • 13 years ago
    really appreciate the advice here!! I won't touch them for now. I had not thought they might be teak.
  • 13 years ago
    They look like vintage folding chairs, lakeside. A gentle power wash and let them weather.

    Modern energy efficient house on SF Bay · More Info