Software
Houzz Logo Print
bdrhome

Our knotty alder cabinets look like this?!!

8 years ago

We worked with a local cabinet maker and picked out knotty alder cabinets for our LL wetbar, wanting something that was light-colored but had a bit of interest. We had looked at numerous photos online of knotty alder and expected some small closed darker colored knots. What we got were unsightly holes filled with ugly brown filler. I cannot believe this is considered cabinet grade even if you are choosing knotty wood.... The largest opening is 3.25" long (first pic). The others are about quarter sized, there is about one on every face or drawer front. I don't understand the point of having knots if the filler obscures completely the character of said knots. Looks shoddy to me instead of slightly rustic. Please help- is this considered normal for knotty alder?



Comments (25)

  • 8 years ago
    That is not acceptable nor standard. What did your cabinet maker say, assuming you had the conversation?
  • 8 years ago
    Natural knots don't come with brown filler.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We have a kitchen with knotty alder and none of it looks like that. All the wood you see is knotty alder. I would check into that.


  • 8 years ago
    Not unusual for this species. Here's a good description of rustic alder, also know as knotty alder: http://://www.osbornewood.com/rustic-alder
  • 8 years ago

    move further back so you get of pic of the entire thing, not just a knot close-up)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    IMO if I ordered knotty alder I would want it to look like this it is what I would consider the best to showcase the wood. I had a live edge table I designed for a client in walnut and i purposely choose the slabs with the most character and that included knots.

  • 8 years ago
    Huh, problem with link. Here's a screen shot
  • 8 years ago

    I don't think the OP is mad about the knots, but about the ugly filler which ruins the look of them. Shouldn't the cabinet maker have discussed how they would be handled instead of making such a decision?

  • 8 years ago
    Not acceptable. I got rustic hickory cabinets for my island from Candlelight Cabinetry and the rustic/knotty pieces are just what I wanted.
  • 8 years ago

    We just had knotty alder cabinets installed. I bet if you zoomed way in on the knots they might look like yours, but hard to tell unless you take a picture from further away. I don't think ours look overly rustic.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I agree the filler is the problem.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks all. Yes, It's not that I didn't want knots- I know that's what we signed up for- but the fill looks completely unnatural to me and cheapens the overall look of the cabs. And like I said, obscures the character of the wood! I will get a zoomed out shot this weekend, we're not living there yet.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Your cabinetmaker deserves to eat this for being stupid enough to take a knotty alder job.

  • 8 years ago

    Has this been paid for in full?

  • 8 years ago

    Very strange to want knots in a cabinet. How would you clean the cabinets with all those grooves? You went with a lighter stain also making the knots more noticable.

  • 8 years ago

    Elizabeth, the knots are part of the character that comes with this wood. Many people actually like that. ;)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Maybe you can find a faux artist who can paint the knots to have more dimension than just a 1 color filler.

  • 8 years ago

    But...that's just knotty veneer on MDF. Those panels came from the factory finished like that.

    Look at the top of the drawer. If that were a real knot, the cut would have exposed the depth of the knot and the filler, but it doesn't. It looks like we're seeing MDF (or something else).

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Good one Tatts I missed that totally.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    That is typical of alder. We have alder floors, alder cabinets and alder doors. They are filled but a darker color was used that I think looks better. The lighter color of yours is I think what makes it look un-natural. If you leave the knots too big they will collect dust. The white splotches also detract. I think your cabinet maker was trying to do the right thing, just needs a bit of tweaking. I would ask if that could be done. At least on the really big knots. The smaller filled ones are probably fine as is.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    According to your pics, you have veneer slab fronts. Epoxy in the knots is standard. The veneer is about 1/64 thick, so knots will not goe deeper. It would just be a hole with the substrate showing, so there you go.

  • 3 years ago

    I ordered furniture made of Alder and didn’t expect it to be rustic. I didn’t order Rustic Alder. I am. It happy at all with the deep splits inside the knot.

  • 3 years ago

    I am not happy with it at all.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Gloria, if you have a question, you'll need to start your own post.

    This current post is 5 years old and belongs to another poster/question.