Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffmoses

Need advice for large landing area

tiffmoses
6 years ago

Hi there! I am looking for some design advice for this large landing/foyer area on our second floor. It is surrounded by three bedroom as well as stairs coming up to the area (from the first floor) and then another set of stairs going up to the third floor (which is where the picture is taken from).

We have more of a contemporary look in our home. My initial thoughts: Bench on wall to the left (shorter wall), larger table on wall to the right, some sort of faux hide rug (BIG) in the landing area, art work on the big wall and perhaps a family collage with matching picture frames of the same size on the left wall above the bench. I think a tree in back right corner might look nice as well.

HELP!! We have a party on Dec. 2nd at our home and I want to try to get something put together prior to that date. haha

Comments (15)

• Olychick
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think your ideas sound wonderful. I'd start with the table, art, bench and rug, see how it looks and maybe add the hall tree at a later date, if you need it.

I also think a piece to hold books might look nice with a comfy chair and reading lamp, as an alternative. These are too traditional for your look, but just for an idea:

tiffmoses thanked Olychick
  • tiffmoses
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@olychick - question for you - I have thought about a chair but worried about spacing. If I put a chair in the left corner, you could not be able to open that french door. We NEVER go out there so it is not an issue for US but wondering if that would look weird that you would be handicapping the door. I actually like the idea of a chair because then I don't have a long bench and a long console table in the same room - the chair adds more "layers" but was just worried about spacing. From the wall to the edge of the door on the left is only about 22 inches.

• tiffmoses
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wondering if maybe some sort of "wing" chair might look nice - West Elm even has a "retro" wing chair that is on a smaller scale that might work.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

If you don't use the French doors, then I would just treat it as a large window and do whatever I wanted in front of it. Looks like a beautiful home!

• tiffmoses
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much!! We use the one on the right as we do pop outside sometimes but not too frequently. Great advice. Thank you BOTH for your comments. Love this site.

• k9arlene
    6 years ago

What about a very large leaning floor mirror.

tiffmoses thanked k9arlene
  • tiffmoses
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, k9arlene - that would be a great idea but the room directly to the left (you can barely see the door frame) has a HUGE large leaning mirror right inside the door so I feel like that would too much since the spaces are literally right next to each other.....does that change your suggestion? :)

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

With a three story house, I would make sure you can easily open one of the doors for emergency egress. It is a lovely spot to sit.

tiffmoses thanked tqtqtbw
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

finding a patchwork cowhide w/either dark browns and blacks

and then doing some items like this

or doing one in the warm grays and tans

or lighter color rug so you can bring in some blues or golds.

just depends on the rug and the look you want! Beautiful entryway though.

tiffmoses thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Deborah Lempert Interiors
    6 years ago

I love the bench idea! I would do the pic collage above the console table and a mirror above bench on opposite wall.

tiffmoses thanked Deborah Lempert Interiors
  • oaktonmom
    6 years ago

Hi Tiffmoses,,,,,,,,,,I think it does change my mind. I wonder if you could move the mirror you have into the landing and see where you like it best. If you prefer it in the landing, maybe you could do something else in the other room.

tiffmoses thanked oaktonmom
  • tiffmoses
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey, Deborah! Would a mirror look strange since I have a huge mirror in the room right next to where the bench (or chair) will be located? We have an enormous leaning mirror in our master bedroom that is right by that wall where the bench/chair would go. Also - I am considering doing a chair so I don't have two long, rectangular pieces together on opposite walls (the console table and bench). Just thinking through my options. :)

Beth H. - LOVE some of the pics you shared, thank you! I am looking at the irregular shaped cowhide rugs (faux b/c I don't want to do real for many reasons). We have a 12x16 HUGE rug in the master bedroom that is (again) right beside this space so I didn't want to do two large rugs in each space. I was thinking the natural cowhide look rug with its irregular edges would add some dimension. Let me know if you think that is a bad idea. haha!!

Thank you all so much - these are all great ideas and giving me things to think about.

• tiffmoses
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@oaktonmom - I will be leaving the mirror in the other room as it is our master bedroom and need to make sure I don't look like a COMPLETE train wreck before departing the house....haha! It is an odd wall in our master but the mirror fits perfectly in the space so it will be staying in there. Thanks again!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

tiff,,,no I was actually looking for the regular hides but they seem small for that space. if you can find a faux one that is large enough, go for it.

tiffmoses thanked Beth H. :