0

Pink Salvia ID?

Does anyone know which salvia this is? I really at least need to know if I should protect it this winter or if its hardy. I am in zone 9a NE FL. It does freeze here a few to several times each winter and every once in a while gets into the 20's F at night.

I have two of these plants. One in anither part of the yard is almost 4ft tall. They didnt have a label when I bought them.

• cabinaddress58

Could it be Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'? If so, it is not hardy, but will survive an occasional light frost.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked cabinaddress58
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Hi, Thank you for your reply. It does look similar to Wendy's Wish. Does that one get large?

I have no clue which one this is. It sure is pretty though. I would hate to lose it. I got two off a clearance rack last fall with no tags so I stuck the ragged pots in the greenhouse over the winter and planted them both out this spring. Maybe I will take cuttings to overwinter in the gh and leave the others in the garden as an "experiment", lol. Butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds seem to love this salvia.

• cabinaddress58

Here in the UK it can get to 4 ft x 4ft. Look for Ember's Wish also!

Robin.

• cakbu z9 CA

Why don't you play it safe and cover it with frost cloth? That's what I do when in doubt.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked cakbu z9 CA
  • mblan13

I think it is of the "wish" series... Wendy's, Amber's, Love and wishes etc.

They are generally zone 8 If memory serves. They might occasionally die back to the ground, but should come back from the roots in spring.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked mblan13
  • S I

Mblan's right, it's Salvia 'Love and Wishes', like mb say.

I never got it growing to 4feet down in southern Australia tho. There is a bigger version but with more pronounced bract color (matching to the dark crimson flowers) called 'Desley'. This one can get to 5feet.

Should do well in Florida, just plant in some what sheltered spot, would look a bit miserable in middle of winter but should survive it through. Treat it as you would Salvia splendens.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked S I
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thank you for all the replies!

Isn't Love and Wishes more coral toned? Its hard to tell from the internet photos. This one is definitely bright pink. I tried to protect them best I could this winter. They took a hit because we got into the 20'sF several times. They are about 4 inches tall now and just sitting there. I hope tgey start growing soon. I already see butterflies and hummers about, looking for flowers.

~Sjn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I got curious so started looking at photos lol. I just found this you tube video that shows the 3 different Wish salvias. The Ember's is more orange, Wendy's is more Pink, and Love and Wishes more purple plum according to this video. https://youtu.be/DE8DZnjOYEo

• S I

Definitely Love and Wishes. I have one myself. No coral-tone, no orangy tone, more toward blueish-crimson. It's 'Ember's Wish' that has coral tone, kind of scarlet.

You may already know this but best not to chop down these 'tender perennials' during winter, let the tips burn by frost if it has to so the lower down the plant is spared. Well, must be spring now up your way (I'm in Southern-Hemisphere), I am pretty sure it will bounce back. I stress that to treat it as you would Salvia Sprendens, It's a hybrid of it.

• S I

;-).

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

As luck would have it, I just found a Wendy's Wish salvia so I got it lol. This one seems more plum colored than my other one you all identified as Love and Wishes. My camera doesn't do pinks purples very well. Its a little more plum than this photo.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I got a few more that don't have tags. One is all white. One is silvery white with blue flowers. One has pink and red plants in the same pot lol.

• mblan13

Bottom is probably S. Coccinea 'Coral Nymph' and 'Lady In Red'.

• rob333 (zone 6b/7a)

The white and blue one is S. farinacea

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked rob333 (zone 6b/7a)
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thak you for the IDs. I do have Lady in Red already. I mainly wanted the pink/Coral Nymph one. I will have to look up thr S. farinacea to see how to grow it and how hardy.it is.

• suncoastflowers

Sultry -where did you find Wendy's Wish? I am looking for it. Hummingbirds love it.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a) thanked suncoastflowers
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

It think was Home Depo...if not, it was Lowes one of the two for sure lol.

I just found an Ember's Wish at the Ace Hardware garden center in Mandarin a few days ago too for 4.99 for a gallon sz

• suncoastflowers

Nice! I always forget about poor Ace Hardware!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

We actually have a few nice Ace garden centers that have some decent stuff. Medinillas, gingers, orchids, epiphyllums, hoyas, etc. A little better then most the nurseries in the northern part of the state anyways lol.