Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steiger1235

Am I crazy to consider moving the oven?

Steiger S
6 years ago

Im sick of the oven being in the middle of the counter. Were getting a new double oven. (This one is just about dead) its getting a new cabinet built around it. I’m considering moving it over to the same wall as the stovetop. That would only leave me 18-24 inches on either side of the stove top. am I crazy? (Shh, but, I hate this kitchen. But. We bought this house a year ago and kitchen getting a full redo isn’t happening for a bit longer . )

Comments (16)

• jhmarie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would also not really like it between my sink and stovetop - but that is up to you. You might consider losing the wall oven altogether and getting a range.

• Steiger S
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dh already bought the double oven. He had to have it. He doesn’t cook. But he remembers how much i likes the double oven in our old house so he was insistent.

• KD
    6 years ago

Can you do a full plan of your kitchen? Maybe someone can come up with a better placement for it but they need the details to work their creative magic. :)

• champcamp
    6 years ago

We are planning to renovate our kitchen and I am planning to change our wall oven into a double oven range on an exterior wall to vent it properly because right now the oven is next to the fridge and there is no counter space to use as a drop zone on either side because they are nestled into a little nook. I'm not sure I would want a wall oven taking up so much space in that expanse of counters and cabinets. What is that "wall" sticking out separating the space to the right of where you want to put a double oven?

• User
    6 years ago

Little late to be doing any thinking about doing “something else” without a sledgehammer in your hand to do it all. You needed a master plan, with an actual improvement in the weird layout before you went buying appliances Willy billy.

You really need a whole lot of sledgehammer. And a master plan. Not one single 4K change that isn’t well thought out either.

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

I wouldn't move it, especially if you're thinking of renovating sometime down the road when you can do a better plan for the whole kitchen. If you move it, you will have to deal with the gaping hole in the cabinet where it now sits.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

Please post more photos of differ views, floor plan with measures.

Are you considering a total redo or just something partially temporarily for the new double oven?

• PRO
    Weil Friedman Architects
    6 years ago

This kitchen appears to straddle two different "rooms"- perhaps an addition? I don't know what your goal is in moving the ovens, but it seems like you are going to end up with a wall or column to deal with once the existing oven is removed. The location you suggest doesn't make a lot of sense, breaking up the work space between the sink and cooktop. I would agree with those who suggest replacing the oven in its present location and redoing the whole kitchen when you're ready.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

It will already be a hassle to replace the single with a double and IMO you gain nothing by moving it I might just make that counter to the right of the oven where it is into a mini baking center with a mixer lift in the cabinet below and all the ingredients for baking in the drawers and other cabinet.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Lipstick, with a dash of IMPATIENCE never had a great outcome

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Sometimes we have to replace broken appliances with what fits in the old space long before tackling a big budget remodel. I know it's frustrating when our pans don't fit, but it's a lot easier once we give up and buy new pans. Put the ones that don't fit away for a couple years.

• weedmeister
    6 years ago

If the width is ok, you may be able to reuse that cabinet. A friend of mine just did that, replacing a single oven / microwave with a double oven. Same width but taller. Installer was able to cut out space above since the old cabinet was intended for a taller oven pair anyway.

In a couple of years, you can rework the whole kitchen. That new location doesn't seem to work well with that wall dogleg.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Lipstick, with a dash of IMPATIENCE never had a great outcome."

Sophie, I hope you're not the jealous type, but now I have a crush on Jan too.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

A total redo when your able is usually more cost effective than doing a partial here & there. Smart decision to make do for now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

I just split a gut laughing. Sophie will be back shortly.............