Software
Houzz Logo Print
soyoung_kim28

Wall color too dated?

8 years ago

My kitchen remodel is finally getting done. It wasn't easy (I acted as a general contractor) but I am happy with the outcome so far.


I think wall color is looking very out of date but couldn't change it because it's totally open concept so painting needs to be done entire first floor including 19' wall to change the wall color in the kitchen.


Now since cabinets are installed, I feel the wall color looks really ugly beige and doesn't match with new cabinets. If I want to change it now, is it even possible to paint after cabinets are already installed?



Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    I think grayish wall color is popular these days, and most new kitchens in Houzz seem to have grayish wall.

    I wish I could paint with light gray tone but I agree beige matches with the floor.

  • 8 years ago

    of course they can be painted after the cabs are in. I mean, think about that for a minute! People paint their kitchens all the time.

    while the beige isn't ugly, it's a little on the blah side. I can't see the rest of the room so I have no idea what's going on, decor-wise.

    are you bringing in color or some other elements w/the countertop, the backsplash or counter chairs? will you be displaying some pottery in the cabinets w/the glass? are they lit from the inside?

    If you do a backsplash, please take it all the way up above the window for a more cohesive look. that will also cut down on some of the wall color.

    Rigel Sh thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Beth, countertop will be white (slightly grayish), and cabinets will be lit from the inside and I am planning to display some pottery yes. But otherwise not sure how I would decorate the kitchen. Also backsplash not decided yet. Hopefully i have some money left over for the backsplash. :)

  • 8 years ago

    therightlook, yes definitely the photo looks really nice! I agree beige and blue gray is not the best combination.

  • 8 years ago
    We recently redid our kitchen and I didn’t even think the wall color was an issue until everything was complete. Then our beige-y yellow walls were really out of place against the white cabs. We ended up painting the walls a soft gray/greige and we love the results. So it’s definitely doable after the fact. Good luck, whatever you decide! For what it’s worth, I don’t think your current color is bad!! Maybe just takes some getting used to.
  • 8 years ago

    dasha81, same here. I didn't give a serious thought about wall color, and now I feel it's out of sort. I think I will have to wait and see the end results to decide since it's still not complete. Hopefully I get used to it!!

  • 8 years ago

    The wall color and the floor color tie it together. But....BM Touch of Grey would give it a nice spice of happy grey....not dismal grey and would pull the grey off the island. You have a LOT of choices. Great looking kitchen and pendant lights!

    Rigel Sh thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! Just looking through your ideabook. Were you going for something like this?
    Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · More Info

    Printed Cellular Shades · More Info
  • 8 years ago

    wickedwhite, yes, similar to those. I love grayish island with blue undertone.

  • 8 years ago
    Can we see a few more pictures of the space? Including adjoining space?
  • 8 years ago
    Now is the time to post a pic of your backsplash selection. That may tip the scales for either working with or clashing with your walls.