Software
Houzz Logo Print
susan_gall77

Something is not working in this family room. The junk will be gone

8 years ago

from the ledges and I’m painting a lighter color. The TV is on the wall you can’t see opposite the sofa. Everything reclines and needs to be plugged in. Bought for comfort, but know this isn’t working.


Comments (24)

  • 8 years ago
    I think adding a better contrasting paint color and modern accessories would help. Also, art work helps modernize anything.
    susan_gall77 thanked kitchensky
  • 8 years ago

    You can do something like this ledge wall, and use the ledge that you have to add a few items. The fabric chair is nice. I'd rethink the cocktail and end tables for something that does not match one another.

    susan_gall77 thanked shirlpp
  • 8 years ago

    If you're not buying a rug, I'd try chalk paint on coffee table.

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/hill-and-harbour-beach-style-living-room-providence-phvw-vp~14271153

    susan_gall77 thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Well, here goes - 8 x 10' poly for $98 - if you like rug colors: paint below ledge this darker tone, and above it the lighter/brighter tone.... along that line...!?

    Or SW Drizzle below, and same color whitened, above..

    [https://www.houzz.com/products/coral-reef-area-rug-blue-106x710-prvw-vr~41265829[(https://www.houzz.com/products/coral-reef-area-rug-blue-106x710-prvw-vr~41265829)

    [https://www.houzz.com/products/drizzle-sw6479-sherwin-williams-prvw-vr~550714[(https://www.houzz.com/products/drizzle-sw6479-sherwin-williams-prvw-vr~550714)

    susan_gall77 thanked everdebz
  • 8 years ago

    You might want to avoid more of sofa's brown, but instead repeat the carpeting - does this?

    https://www.houzz.com/products/jack-glacier-18-throw-pillow-prvw-vr~54958737

    susan_gall77 thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hi. Some questions, first.

    Could you post more photos of the room?

    Are you wanting to keep the furniture for sure?

    Is the furniture wall-hugger or does it recline back?

    If you are keeping it, does it have to be against the wall for receptacles or do you have floor receptacles?


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Honey. You have a rug the color of a grayish mouse , and you "bought furniture for COMFORT" , not looks, in a deep mouse ? : ) tone. Paint the walls, and go a lot darker, not lighter. It will help "eat " / absorb the furniture and reduce its bulky feel. . All the way to the floor., same color, the ledge has no reason to be emphasized. Yes, get rid of all the clutter, IGNORE that ledge., add a big piece of art. Don't be ocd about the match, but noting beachy or coastal please, there is NOT one coastal thing about the seating. Greens blend,( just look in the garden) . Make it the "comfort cave" you intended is my advice : ) No coastal........ no coral.... no.

    yes, two lamps

    look for some pillows

  • 8 years ago
    More photos will help. Your furniture placement may need improvement but I can't tell without photos.

    Personally, I don't like rugs over carpeting. Seems bulky and unnecessary. Wall color will make a difference here, as well as accessories.
    susan_gall77 thanked Laurie Hutch
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Jan, I smiled, as coastal was what? my attempt at teal....

    But is this a basement? ... you don't want too dark, but my grey/white coral rug was well too light.

    susan_gall77 thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Yes, everdebz.......I do realize that : ) Thus I darkened the concept.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    A multi colored print fabric for throw pillows; blue walls top to bottom; large framed canvas over sofa; two floors lamps on either side of sofa which will frame the canvas and give light to all the seating.

    Etsy pillows
    B.M Amsterdam
    Greatbigcanvas

    susan_gall77 thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Decluttering the space first will help, then painting the walls, next up will be adding color. Add some artwork, accessories, lamps, a plant, etc.



    susan_gall77 thanked Design Directives, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    Are you willing to exchange the reclining furniture for same thing in a different color?

  • 8 years ago

    I will try posting more pics tomorrow. The colors did not photograph well. This furniture is a grey with blue undertones. The patterned chair is ivory with blue and green pattern. the room is lower level and the only light coming into this room would be through patio doors through adjacent small office. I appreciate everyone’s feedback so far. I won’t be painting a dark color because of limited light in the room. Yes, I will be adding lamps and/or floor lamps, I am returning all of the tables and looking for something that matches the proportions of the furniture.

  • 8 years ago

    Possibly end tables or coffee, could vary the look: not in wood [brown again].

  • 8 years ago

    Everdebz you are so right. All of the tables are going back. I ordered some more substantial end tables. No wood, metal with travertine marble tops. I will accessorize and love the idea of teal to brighten it up. Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    Oh, ok... let's see them later!

  • 8 years ago

    Following


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like the greens that Jan posted. what about doing something cool w/that ledge wall? you can't just 'ignore' it. utilize it.

    If doing the greens, paint it a deep, inky forest green and add some natural wood.

    you could do something along these lines: (ignore the decor and funky placed shelving,,,just get an idea for color and natural wood)

    perhaps even doing some cool uplighting w/the small LED lights


    or something like they've done here. built ins:

    make a photo wall..

    susan_gall77 thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Beth, I like what you did with those shelves! and the paint to show them off a bit....

  • 8 years ago
    I like the framed pictures with lights above or if you are daring perhaps a mural wallpaper on the back wall above ledge. It could be quite stunning. So many out there
  • 8 years ago

    Really cool ideas for that back wall! I’m glad I’m doing the painting last!

  • 8 years ago

    Beth, those are some awesome ideas!