Software
Houzz Logo Print
lgstacey

Help....my living room too perfect

8 years ago

Ha ha....my subject making me laugh. When I moved to a new house, I decided to do all neutrals in my living room but my heart is really a bohemian lived in kind of girl. I yielded to design peer pressure. I sold my orange velvet chair and my colorful persian rug. I have turquoise pillows in the family room next to this room as well as some yellow and grays. I'm just wondering what I can do to make this place a little more lived in and not so perfect. Yikes. This is probably the dumbest post ever on here but at least I broke up the monotony of this site

....................

Comments (65)

  • 8 years ago

    I like your room as is and especially like the mirror b/c it reflects something interesting, in this case your Christmas tree. So many people use mirrors indiscriminately and all they reflect is a blank wall. It could have been a tad smaller but doesn’t make your room less charming.

  • 8 years ago

    A word of caution with Overstock, they charge for return shipping. I just spent $23 to send back a $78 rug that looked and smelled like garbage. At home goods you can take it home and return it for no cost, other than the hassle factor. And esale rugs doesn't charge for returns. Finding the right rug takes time. But for now, you could add color by changing out the pillows on your chairs and adding some colored ornaments to your tree.

  • 8 years ago

    I actually like neutrals and think your room is lovely. Here's the thing: You clearly pulled off a very nice look, even though you're not that happy with it now. You're way ahead of most people. Just do it.

  • 8 years ago

    My first thought is add some red. Pillows, decorative items for the shelving, floral arrangements, a throw, and maybe some red on the tree and a garland on the mantel. Poinsettias are easy to get right now and would be a nice addition, I think.

  • 8 years ago

    I also love color:)

    I love this site for inspiration on how to mix in color - it helps my favorite color is blue:

    http://houseofturquoise.com





  • 8 years ago

    Love neutrals,love this room,so peaceful & serene!!! Merry Christmas!!!!

  • 8 years ago

    It's amazing how a few spots of colour can transform a room:



  • 8 years ago

    Thank you everyone for your comments, ideas, compliments. I love Houzz!

  • 8 years ago

    You can add some Bohemian pop to a neutral room.



  • 8 years ago

    Perfection is definitely not a problem I've ever had... but my first thought was to fluff up the pillows (or add some with more color) and don't karate chop them! The 'chopped' pillows just look magazine-y to me, and like someone was trying too hard. Lived in would be more naturally squished.

  • 8 years ago

    I mentioned changing the pillows, but I didn't say that I don't like pillows in chairs and only one pillow on each end of the couch. More than that and you can't sit in the chair or on the couch. I know all the magazines show dozens, but it is just over kill. You can't really live with all of those. It just looks fake to me.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Paint the fireplace wall black, even the book cases. The mirror will look even better.


  • 8 years ago

    It is very perfect, neutral and sterile which seems to be a common decorating theme these days. An interesting, colorful rug would certainly be an improvement. Do you have any meaningful personal items you could incorporate into the room - some things to make it a bit more eclectic, colorful and less like an interior design showroom?

  • 8 years ago

    My first thought was to change out the slipper chairs, either slipcover or replace if in the budget. Get that orange velvet chair back! Or look for something with more pzazz. Maybe instead of identical chairs, find two different ones. Look in high end consignment stores, if new isn't in your budget. Or Craigslist and have them recovered in a fun print.





  • 8 years ago

    Can the mirror be hung diagonally - hang from the corner - to be diamond shape instead of square. And would there be room above fireplace if you did that... or elsewhere. Is painting out of the question - even just to go darker/richer with the same color would completely change the vibe. By keeping color same as rest of the house, just darker/more intense, you would still have a sense of continuity throughout the space.

  • 8 years ago
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Each side of mirror, a softer, blend-in art. The current black frames seem contemporary/ harsh for your look ??

    [https://www.houzz.com/products/inkd-xx-canvas-art-30x30-prvw-vr~39624458[(https://www.houzz.com/products/inkd-xx-canvas-art-30x30-prvw-vr~39624458)

  • 8 years ago

    Add color with the rug, pillows and art.

  • 8 years ago

    You sold your orange chair, maybe get some orange going, pillows, you could add more color to you bookcases with bright orange objects, perhaps maybe a print ottoman or foot stool. It is very pretty room, but if its not you ..change it up.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm really sorry, but I love everything about your room right now as it is! I love the checkered pillows and chairs, furniture placement and mirror. I find the whole look & palette very soothing, like a room I'd want to hang out in with a magazine where I'd be stress-free.

    As usual, there is lots of good advice above to add a boho flair or pop of color but I really love what you've done. If I had to change something, I suppose I'd go with one single statement piece that packs a punch - perhaps a burnt orange or green round garden table between the two chairs. The back table you have their now basically disappears against your black fireplace surround.

    Here is one under $30!

    Beautiful room, even if you do nothing at all!

  • 8 years ago

    Find some bohemian inspiration pictures and build from there. Identify the ones you like, as there is an earthy style bohemian, and then there is a full-on colorful bohemian. If you can narrow down what you’re truly drawn to, then you’ll know better what to add and what to change. (My guess is the rug, chairs, couch, and walls can all stay the same.) It’s a beautiful room, but if it isn’t really you, then certainly feel free to tweak it.

  • 8 years ago

    A colorful rug (and a few colorful accessories on your shelves) would completely change this room. You really wouldn't need to do anything else. It's a beautiful room, but the current rug is a snooze fest.

    Maybe something like this or this?

  • 8 years ago

    Current rug is a "snooze fest", absolutely true! You need color or pattern!

  • 8 years ago

    Colorful pillows and throws will do wonders.

  • 8 years ago

    I almost missed the "Christmas" in this room...your Christmas décor is all neutral too...tree, tree skirt, stockings, NOEL sign, manger. Did I miss anything? ALL NEUTRAL!! LOL! Personally, I like neutral and I like your room and holiday décor.

    That being said, you need to design with things YOU like, not according to design trends or whatever. If you're bohemian, why change?

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    your subject line made me laugh and I totally feel your pain. I painted my bedroom a neutral gray and brown and tried to make myself like it (this was actually several years ago). nope. didn't happen. one day I pulled out all my various collection of photo frames put in some favorite photos and suddenly found some peace. just because other people fund that room calming doesn't mean you you have too. Apparently we both had to learn this the hard way. I don't have specific advice, just trust your gut. Go to some vintage/consignment shops and find something you love to add to your living room. Don't give yourself a timeline just let it happen.
  • 8 years ago

    Your title really made me laugh bringing back an episode from more than 20 years ago. A colleague, in her 60's at the time, was on the heavyset side of zaftig. At lunch one day she passed on dessert saying, "I know I am 5 pounds from perfect" with NO irony. It was all I could do to keep my mouth closed. She was known for a lack of self-reflection.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    changing up the art work, pillows, and rug will make a huge difference! your couch can pass as any style and your coffee table is already somewhat bohemian!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Let's say you achieved what a lot of us are still working toward. But, if it ain't you, it ain't you. Here is a sample of a neutral room with some jazz. The title of the room is "Garage Sales Meets Glam":

    4 pillows, 1 rug and 1 new chair:

  • 8 years ago
    i wouldnt say your room is "too perfect". nice and lovely, yes. but not perfect.

    second, I agree your home should be cozy and comfortable but what you have arranged seems comfty enough to me


    you might just be able to put throws here and there, a beefier set of table lamps and ypu should be ok

    lighting, textiles and accents make a home cozy
  • 8 years ago
    what's wrong with picture perfect...I love it!!?
  • 8 years ago

    Start with a rug from www.rugsusa.com Check out 'Bohemian", then add some pillows and candles in your favorite color. Some large prints of your favorite photos.

    Or just enjoy your room as is, with a few added candles, faux fur, glass of wine or hot cider, some good book or movie. And relax.

  • 8 years ago
    Hi
  • 8 years ago
    Guys. I’m not saying I’m the “perfect decorator”. I’m not even a decorator. By “perfect” I mean too clean, everything matchy, symmetrical, neutral, trendy (looks like everyone else’s living room), sterile etc. I didn’t stage the photo. I should have. Leave Christmas out of it but you’re right. Cracks me up. Had to do boring on the tree too. Ha ha. I love everyone’s ideas. You all are awesome!!!! I love vintage shops. Spent many hours there over the years. I’ve moved 3 times in the last 7 years so always hard to make things work without buying all new stuff. I had a dark wood floor in my last house. The neutral rug was in my bedroom. My living room was very colorful so the white stockings and white Christmas stuff looked great. My problem with rugs that I could use advice on is that I have a family room, dining room, and this living room that all run together so matching all those rugs (at least keeping them cohesive) is always tricky.
  • 8 years ago
    ok makes sense stacey :)
  • 8 years ago

    lgstacey, to be clear, you already have a lovely room. It's a wonderful place for you and your family as is, and I for one would love to hang out there! But, since you asked, many of us are chiming in on what would give it that extra something. I do think a new rug, possibly with some pattern, would not only look great but would also be practical in terms of hiding stains, etc, which coincidentally can lead to enjoying your room even more! Of course, you may try one or two and decide that what you have is better. That's happened to me many times. I suggested homegoods because I've been really impressed with their rug selection lately. I've seen Karastan, Ralph Lauren, and other good quality rugs at great prices. And, lucky you, there is no need for you to run out and just add "stuff" to your room just for the sake of change. Judging by your obvious design sense, I'm sure you won't do that. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy, and thanks for letting us have a peek!

  • 8 years ago

    I agree that you have a beautiful room:) But if you are looking for a change I think an indigo rug would look great...

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you want to add some color to your room, it would be easy to do with a change for rug and pillows. You could always add even more interest by changing out your chairs. Here is a design of ours included below for some inspiration:




  • 8 years ago

    You have the perfect neutral backdrop to decorate for the seasons. I would lose the black and white photos and add some kind of texture to those walls, put a piece of art where the mirror is, add some colorful throw pillows, and change out some of the knickknacks for a bit more color.

    By the way, I love your room. :)

  • 8 years ago

    For one thing, I would choose a larger rug, everything is crowded onto this one and it actually makes this area look smaller. If you love the mirror leave it, but put colorful art on either side instead of the black and white. Lose those pillows and find something more interesting. I love Oriental rugs and like kjoy1's color palette, although I lean more towards warm colors, but you need to choose exactly what you like. The gold and blue combination is great, and you could try to find art that will have some of those tones in it. e-bay is great for original art, I would choose that over a print. If it's an oil it doesn't even have to be framed to give a more current vibe.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like the neutral look you have created however art work, accessorizing your cocktail table and new throw could give a new look. Lots of options and ideas to change out. Good luck.

  • 8 years ago
    Ingrid

    Your living room idea book is AMAZING. So up my ally. Some of the best living room ideas I’ve seen on HOUZZ!!!!!!!
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, lgstacey. That's such a complement, and I really appreciate it.

  • 8 years ago

    I love the choices joy showed a few posts up!

  • 8 years ago

    The mirror is a shiny object with yet another black frame around it. I find the amount of black framing (for want of a better word) uninteresting - the picture frames, the pillows, the chair legs, the fireplace. Colourful artwork above the fireplace is a great idea.

    My two favourite places for interesting accessories are Home Sense and a local furniture consignment store.

  • 8 years ago

    I didn’t read all the responses but the biggest part that sticks out to me is you said you gave into peer pressure. Who is pressuring you to sell what you love?

    If you want to see a change, shop your house first. Try the turquoise pillows in the room on the chairs. Put something tall in front of the mirror. Try a different color candle on each side of the mirror. What interesting accessories do you have that are more you?

  • 8 years ago

    You are so right angele_gw. I've learned my lesson. I will tell you that much. I now know I am an eclectic, bohemian, vintage, repurposing sort of gal. I have a lot of that in my office. I bought an old coal bucket.............spray painted it gold...........use it as my garbage can. It's awesome.

    What do you mean put something tall in front of mirror??

    I travel the world. I have amazing cool things. Got some freakin awesome stuff from a mosai tribe in Africa.



  • 8 years ago

    If you "wish my walls were not tan" then that is what you will think each time you look at this room--no matter what rugs, pillows, or art you add. Paint the walls, one at a time if you have to. Work your way through the "huge job" a little at a time, and it will probably take less time and money over all than constantly changing everything else in an effort to distract from "tan" walls.