Software
Houzz Logo Print
kdonohue9524

Living room ideas

13 years ago
I feel like I need to add bright pillows to make this room pop. The walls are a dark chocolate and the window treatments have a striped pattern. Would it look ok to maybe add teal colored pillows? Or any other ideas.
Thank you!

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    Teal would look awesome and give it pop!
  • 13 years ago
    The only thing I would change would be a new bigger hung lower painting over sofa. Hang pic 5" above top of sofa. Get one much bigger think double size. You could get something more contemporary that has tons of color like teals, and turquoise, frame should be more simple. Add teal vase on end table remove family pic. Add small teal bowl to coffee table. Just a touch. Let art do the talking. Otherwise room is cozy and very well put together.
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- Great job so far and I agree with what the others said just adding . Find a great round , or oval coffee table . Something that has wood and glass or metal and glass , the side tables and the coffee table don't have to match. Paint the ceiling a pale blue so the crown molding will pop . Find a big 36" x36" modern painting with a thin dark frame . Buy the art because you like it and not just get one that has the room colors in it . The art should stand on it's own .
  • 13 years ago
    PIC
  • 13 years ago
    I would recommend a sky blue or citron green color as an accent but good suggestions on art and accessories
  • 13 years ago
    I think better lighting would help. You have very pretty window treatment
  • 13 years ago
    You have a lovely room - we have similar colours, please see picture of our room recently decorated. We have added 2 large size colourful pictures/canvas to brighten things up - it really works.
  • 13 years ago
    I think adding earthy colours like green would not clash with the current style and it will add to the living room
    what about something like this? http://www.welovelinen.com/cushion-covers-c31/catherine-lansfield-zig-zag-cushion-cover-green-30cm-x-50cm-inner-excluded-p475
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I agree with some of the other comments. A bigger canvas is needed above your sofa, then pick some pillows to add in front of the ones you are using that pull the colors from your canvas. I don't like the pictures that have been suggested. To me, they look dated. Few people use frames anymore. Just look for canvas art. Measure before you go looking, and plan for a big one.

    Could you put the large vase on the floor with the sticks on that shelf where you have the smaller plant? I think it might look good there, or something taller to fill that space. You can spray your sticks a darker color, so they stand out more in your rich colored room.

    I suggest a table in front of your sofa. Something you could find that is painted and distressed. I don't think you should add more glass when you get a table for in front of your sofa. Try to find a bigger table, maybe round in shape. You can put your smaller plant on it with a big tray, etc. Keep your elements on your table larger and limited. Maybe a candle on the tray. Once again, pull colors from your canvas. I guess you need to start with your canvas, then pillows, table, tray and a few accessories. I love your room. Wish it was in my house.
  • 13 years ago
    I would move the couches away from the walls, put them parallel to each other, so that if you walked between them, and kept going, you would walk into the corner window. Then find a great INTERESTING coffee table, it could have some color too. I like Keitha's idea about the large starburst mirror (I think that would be great!), and also travisinteriors comments in regards to accessories, but I would keep the family photos. It's your house, and your family... that is a great combination! :) I think you have done great on the room, and it is always fun to get other people's opinions, right? And oh yes, DO lower your art, or mirror etc., IMO probably a lot more than you might be comfortable with initially. Give it a try, remember, it is a room to relax in, and if you are sitting you want to feel wrapped in the room, and not have to crane your neck. Good luck with it all.
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice room. I agree with above suggestions. I have darker brown walls in my living room and an eggplant color was introduced.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    How bout a nice larger art piece over the sofa for some pop...pillows can accent it as solids to go with the colors in the art.
  • 13 years ago
    The only thing I would want to "pop" in this room is the art. As suggested above, lower it to 5" above the sofa. I see a piece in the adjoining room is also hung too high. If it is not above any furniture, then put the center of it at 60" above the floor. If there are other walls where equally colorful and interesting art could go, I'd add more.
    This is really cozy and calming, and I'd want to keep it that way. For some unexpected pop via texture, try a large flokati area rug and a round leather stool or hassock in front of the sofas.
    Guest Bedroom in Modern Victorian · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Greatbigcanvas.com is a fun place to look.
  • 13 years ago
    Moroccan colors would be great
  • 13 years ago
    Color combo ideas
  • 13 years ago
    pretty....remove the picture from behind couch and get somethings that are raw. And pure white. And a bit of humor. it's looking good.