Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthias_lang

Canning marbles

matthias_lang
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So I just got home from an antiques store. The question I knew I needed to ask here is, How do you can marbles? Water bath? Pressure can? Must we acidify them?

I find a lot of marbles in my garden, so I thought I shouldn't let them go to waste. Most are glass, but some are clay marbles.

Would buttons use the same process?

Any recipes for using the marbles or buttons once opened?

Comments (13)

• matthias_lang thanked naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
  • digdirt2
    6 years ago

I find that clay marbles don't hold up to processing heat and you just end up with muddy water. Neither do most plastic buttons.

But glass marbles can be boiled, loaded hot into the jars, fill the jars with boiling water leaving 1" headspace, and process for 20 min in BWB. For best appearance be sure to uniformly mix the different colors in the jars. ;-)

Dave

matthias_lang thanked digdirt2
  • CA Kate z9
    6 years ago

I'd be concerned that all that heat might crack the older marbles. I know that hot-water bath canning isn't normally recommended, but this might be the time to put the glass marbles in the jar, pour on hot water, and seal.

I agree that canning the clay marbles isn't a good idea.

matthias_lang thanked CA Kate z9
  • matthias_lang
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah, guess I was unclear on those clay marbles. They are fired clay, so pottery marbles / ceramic marbles. Those definitely should be able to take the heat.

I figured I couldn't raw-pack the glass, but what would you think about pre-frying the glass marbles?

Fried Marbles

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    6 years ago

I don't get this entire thread. Why would you want to can marbles?

matthias_lang thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • lucillle
    6 years ago

Matthias probably doesn't want to lose his marbles, so canning them up might help prevent that.

matthias_lang thanked lucillle
  • theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Matthias- Those clay marbles might be able to take the heat but I don't think they could stand up to the liquid. Over time they might turn to mush. But if they do keep their shape then you could probably dry them out again after opening up a jar. I would probably just dry can them instead.

Rodney

matthias_lang thanked theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
  • matthias_lang
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Laceyvail, antique stores have been placing mason jars full of marbles on every twentieth-or-so shelf and table. I've been seeing this for around five years. Price: $8-12. More if the jar is blue (antique or new!) or has a zinc lid. It just makes me roll my eyes.

Then, in antiques malls some sellers began getting more creative by filling the mason jars with buttons, small wood spools, green plastic toy soldiers, wood clothes pins, tiny balls of embroidery thread, jacks and red rubber balls, etc.--- what ever they might think represent days gone by.

So, uh, canning marbles properly by USDA guidelines is just a joke.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

And one I have enjoyed very much.

matthias_lang thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • beesneeds
    6 years ago

As much as I fully realize this is a joke about antique stores and jars of marbles.. I see them too and kind of giggle. And for some odd childhood reason, I always want them- never buy them though, forget that.
    But then I thought about it for a minute- when I was a kid, my gma had a couple friends that had jars of marbles in the kitchen- they used the marbles for pie weights that looked pretty in the window too while they weren't using them. And they did use them regularly. Which then makes me wonder... Could a jar of marbles withstand a water bath canning? Like if I was a jar or two short in my kettle, could I use a jar of marbles as a jar space/weight to take up the rest of the space properly? Glass of course :)

And I've never heard of fried marbles before, I must try that, looks
    fun. And I do have some marbles sitting around. With all this snow, getting an ice bath is no problem, lol. Does that work with the flatter glass florist and decor stones too?

matthias_lang thanked beesneeds
  • matthias_lang
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beesneeds, yes there really is something very satisfying about a whole, closed jar of anything, as though it makes one wisely kitted out, ready for what comes! I just use spoons for pie weights, though. Ha-ha.

The Fried Marbles book that I linked above the photo was one I bought at school through Scholastic books when I was in sixth grade, if I remember correctly. Mine would have had to have been an earlier edition than the one on Amazon. I also remember the shrunken apple puppet heads in the book.

You could just use a jar of water without a lid even on it to make your other jars stand up in the canner.

• CA Kate z9
    6 years ago

I'm not sure I would care for Fried Marbles... altho' I do know a few people whose 'marbles' are definitely 'fried'.

matthias_lang thanked CA Kate z9