Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19707328

Baker Creek

8 years ago

Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) is doing a promotional thing to benefit Syria, 100% of all sales today will be donated. Only problem is, everything I want is out of stock. :~(

Comments (2)

  • 8 years ago

    I ordered from them the last 3 years but we've had very bad issues with their seeds each time, for example, bag germination rates, compared to other companies. A lot of people love their seeds though :). I'll be ordering from Southern Seed Exchange and Pine Tree Seeds this year. Pretty cool sale nonetheless!

  • 8 years ago

    I've bought their seeds in years past and hadn't noticed poor germination rates. But I was real disappointed when I realized that they do not appear to be selling seeds they've grown themselves, as that's what I thought was the case. We visited them a year ago this last fall and it wasn't at all what I expected it to be. I guess maybe that's the way of it, nowadays, everybody that sells seeds buys them in bulk from the folks that do, and many of those seeds are even grown in other countries. I suppose it's not possible for one business to have the time to grow, clean, package, AND market seeds. But the whole thing kinda loses it's charm if that's the case. I want some Rattlesnake Master and some other plants that are native to the area. And I really want some PawPaw tree seeds. Still looking for a source for Lazy Wife beans, apparently there's been a big mixup between Lazy Wife and Lazy Housewife, by the various seed sellers, and they are different, and seems like nobody is actually sure which is which. Mine came out of a long ago GW seed trade and I saved the seed every year and some that I chose carefully from Terroir Seed were not the same. After we moved here, we had three straight summers of cold springs followed by hellishly hot summers and drought, so I lost green bean crops for three years, got no seed, the rest is history, or the end of it..... This summer I'll grow Kwintus and a couple others, and hope I find a variety to love as much as I did Lazy Housewife.

    I have ordered from Fedco in previous years and I liked their seeds. I almost have to be hogtied before I will buy from Burpee or Henry Fields again. Our local Atwood's used to have markdowns of their seed in the spring, and then Tractor Supply moved in, south of town. So Atwood's moved out there practically next door to Tractor Supply, and now Atwood's doesn't seem to stock any other brand of seed other than Burpee, and neither does Tractor Supply. Atwoods, before they moved, carried several brands, including a cheaper line under the name of American Seed, which I liked.

    There are many brands I've bought before, one brand about as good as the other, but differences in price: Pinetree, Terroir, Horizon Herbs, Lily Miller, Park, SwallowTail Gardens, Seeds of Change, Northrupp-King, Fedco, TomatoFest, Shumway's, Seeds'n'Such, Seeds For Thee, American Seed, probably others. Last spring we visited Chouteau, an Amish or Mennonite community a couple hours from us in Oklahoma and went to their hardware store, bought seeds from there. Not a lot of variety, but the amount of seed in each pack was really generous and what I bought was really wowzers in the germination department.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting