Software
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

Designing weird closet for a preschool girl

8 years ago


Hi All,
We have converted part of our house into two new bedrooms, one of which will be the "big girl" bedroom for our 2.75 year old girl. The bedroom itself is relatively small, so we need the closet to have lots of good storage space. It's a weird shape, though - 45" deep, 59" across, and about 16/17" on either side of the door opening, so we can't figure out the best places to put shelves, rods, etc. She doesn't have many clothes that need to be hung up now, but obviously will have more in the future. Does anyone have good suggestions or resources for ideas?


Thanks!

Comments (9)

  • 8 years ago

    It’s too shallow to put rods on 3 sides, so I would do rods on the 45” walls and put an ikea shoe cabinet on the back of the 59” wall.

    pbl_ge thanked emilyam819
  • 8 years ago

    Do you have a Container Store near you? They sell Elfa closet systems - and I'm sure they would help you with the design.

    Container Store

    pbl_ge thanked geoffrey_b
  • 8 years ago

    I should have said that we're hoping to DIY it on the cheap - we've spent far more on this remodel than we expected!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm not a Elfa salesman - but the stuff is quite modular and reconfigurable - so it could be used as she grows. You could go to the store and get some ideas to implement yourself.

    Also Home Depot / Lowes / etc sell similar systems - just buy the components you want.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would do something like this below for the back wall and then along the two sides set up the organizational cubbies your daughter needs for toys on one side and shoes and other items on the other. She is young and the double hang will come in handy for years to come. The drawers will work so she doesn't need a dresser in the room. You said the room is small. If you set it up so that she has storage for everything it will keep her room organized. It takes time to plan, but it is worth it. You will want to probably have adjustable shelves on the sides so they can change as she grows.


    pbl_ge thanked Denita
  • 8 years ago

    you need about 2 ft depth for hanging things, so I would put two rows of bars, one higher and one lower on the back wall. Possibly the bottom one wouldnt go all the way across to accommodate dresses. along the sides put shelves or baskets. With a step stool you can use space all the way to the ceiling.

    pbl_ge thanked Anthony C
  • 8 years ago
    I used to be a sales consultant for a a California Closet-like company. Here’s a good trick to get that look on a shoestring budget. Get hollow core doors from habitat for humanity. They’re like 10 bucks each and you can cut them down to make a fancy looking closet system similar to the closet maid one pictured by the other commenter but without the drawers... I guess you could do drawers too, if you wanted to, but they are a lot more work.
    Basically you just need to rip the doors down to 14” and make several partition and shelves. When you rip the hollow core door down the back edge will be hollow, of course, so you’ll just need to fill it with a ripped down 2x4 (I think down to 1 1/4” or so). I recommend glue and screw the filler piece for sure.


    Paint the panels and shelves after you’ve cut them and before you assemble them. All the pre-finished edges of the door will become the front facing parts of your closet system and the filled in hollow parts go against the wall.

    You can fasten it to the wall with “cleats” that also tie two panels together.

    It’s midnight now but if you want I may be able to draw up a quick sketch for you tomorrow. You can probably get this closet decked out for about 60 bucks worth of doors and a little elbow grease. Should take about a day or two depending on your skill set. You might also see if the are any apartments or motels getting remodeled in your area, you can probably get the doors for free in that case.
    pbl_ge thanked Brandon Schmahl
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would do something like this with double hanging in the back and shelves/drawers down one side.