Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta F 2017

Lets see some F's today. It is 36 degrees. In Florida.

Comments (63)

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago

Faithful Heart - new small hosta

Fashionista -

First Blush -

First Frost

Fortunei Aureomarginata -

Fried Bananas - relocated last year and came back strong

Fujibotan -

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Two for me.

Frosted Mouse Ears.
    Sherry

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Nice mix of plants sherrygirl.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Donna how do you get Fujibotan to bloom? beautiful! Mine bloomed last year,but they never opened. How much sun?

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago

sunnywood - It's a happy camper. Mixture of sun and shade. Location, location, location!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

old dirt..ever since I read on GW about Frances Williams I've noticed that every plant that I've seen for sale is flawed..I'm afraid of them..

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

old dirt,I think your 'Mildred Seaver' is a Francee :-)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I'm not sure if this is First Frost or not, but I like it. The edges may be too yellow.

Here's a Francee, I believe.

And a Frances Williams, one of my favorites, planted when I was still ignorant about landscape fabric.

6 years ago

littlebug..well now I've seen a nice looking Frances Williams..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Thanks Kathy. Fall Dazzler puts on a great flower show but I think I will move it to a shadier spot. The foliage gets tatty before it blooms.

Your 3 "Fire and Ice" are all beauties but I believe only the 2nd pic is Fire and Ice. IME it starts white and stays white in the centre. I have no idea about the other two but they are very, very nice.

Keep trying old_dirt, Frances Williams is worth the effort. If you enlarge my pic you won't see any sign of spring desiccation. I have it placed so that it does not get early sun from the east. It has a chance to dry off before the sun hits it and it is sheltered from wind. Having said all that she does seem to generally perform better in zone 5. I agree your MS looks to be Francee.

I have Maple Leaf in a spot that gets the sun as it comes up and some years it looks pretty bad.

nicholsworth give it a go, you have shade and moist soil. Pic the best plant and cut off the nasty leaf. (p.s. mine got chewed on by deer)

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Littlebug, I would think that IS a First Frost. The edges are very yellow in spring. El Nino would be the popular one with white edges.

• garyz6ohio
    6 years ago

Fireworks

Foxfire Palm Sunday

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

I keep ignoring my HOSTAs in Colorado. This is my Francis Williams a couple of years ago. Now that we are retired and leave for NY in early May ,I don’t get any pictures of them until Oct. This was taken in June 2016

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Some Beautiful hosta posted above. Takes the chill out of the air a little bit!

Fire and Ice

Fire Island

Fire Island #2 in pot

Fireworks

First Frost ,,,,,as mentioned above, a real beauty all season long

First Frost #2

Fog Light .....unusual coloration on this one....HL says a blue bloom over yellow

Forbidden Fruit

Foxfire Palm Sunday

Fragrant Fire

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Two more

Fragrant Bouquet

Fragrant Queen ....upper left

Stay warm every one !!

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Any tips on growing Fireworks? Just went on my must-have list, along with: Flemish Sky, Frisian Pride, Foglight....the list keeps growing

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Mbug not sure your Fireworks is what you have? Check the library pictures.

• garyz6ohio
    6 years ago

Mbug could it possibly be Little Treasure?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    6 years ago

First Love, new last year.

Fortunei Albopicta.

Frances Williams.

Fortunei Aureomarginata.

6 years ago

Another pretty Frances Williams..you guys have the magic touch..my neighbor's FW never look that nice and we don't know what she's doing wrong..she's asked and 3 of us have talked about it..

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Gary and Sunnywood......you guys are correct Little Treasure not fireworks. Thanks!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 years ago

Nicholsworth55, your grouping of Fire Island hosta, display its spring color beautifully. Mbug, wonderful Fire Island specimens!

Love that Fire and Ice bud picture, peren.all.

Sunnywood and old_dirt, your Forbidden Fruit hosta does stand out for me. Putting it on my wish list.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Mbug, what’s that white centered Hosta behind your first bright yellow Fire Island?

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Kathy....that's Whirlwind.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 years ago

Love this Feather Boa. It's in a spin out bag but will need to be divided this year.

Fortunei Aureomarginata

Fragrant Bouquet (new)

First Frost (I agree it's a great hosta)

Francee

Fragrant Blue (photo taken mid October)

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Such cold temperatures some of you are enduring. Brrrrr.

Fire and Ice

Fortunei Aureomarginata

Francee

Frances Williams flowering in July

Frosted Dimples

• Saija_Finland
    6 years ago

Zkathy: yes, our sun in Finland is not so hot and our house is surrouded by forest. I don't need irrigation system, just sometimes hose watering. I can plant hostas anywhere in my yard.

Many of you have nice looking Fire and Ice. I have killed two of them :( I blame our strange winters, usually we have cold and snow, but last few winters were wet and warm. And hostas got frozen and melting many times > dead hosta. Now we seem to have normal snowy and cold winter. I hope weather stays normal until spring.

Some of you have very cold weather now, stay warm. We have only -5 celsius.

Saija

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    6 years ago

What Fantastic F's. My wish list just keeps getting longer and longer.

Here are my F's

Fragrant Bouquet new in 2017

First Frost, young and I was supersized to see her bloom.

Fire Island just coming up in the spring.

Fire Island blooming in later August

Fire and Ice in June

Frances Williams in August, looked nice all season.

I think this is Frances Williams too. It was a gift. Growing in a shadier spot then above. What does everyone think is this Frances Williams?

• Barb Ure Drouillard 6b Canada
    6 years ago

Frances Williams

Frosted Mouse Ears
    Fragrant Bouquet
    First Frost
    Fire Island
    Fire and Ice

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Beth, I believe if the gifter had it in their garden for many years, chances are, it is FW. In my garden, I would just label it FW with a question mark.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Looks like Frances Williams to me, Beth. FW is one of the oldest hostas in my garden. It had the uglies so bad this year that I didn’t even post a pic. But some years it is stunning.y beautiful with little dessication, so it stays right where it is.

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    6 years ago

Steve and zkathy thanks for the advice on Frances Williams. That is what I will call that hosta now.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    6 years ago

First year for my First Frost.

Forbidden Fruit

Thanks for looking. :)

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Mbug I was just looking some older pictures and I found one of lucky stars that looks a lot like your Fireworks

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Wow.....beautiful pic of that Lucky Stars Leaf!

6 years ago

newhostalady..right back at ya!..that's a pretty grouping with Feather Boa..l love burgundy with green and chartreuse..

• beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

Here are some more:

Francee

Fragrant Queen - not my favorite

Frosted Mouse Ears

Fortunei Aureomarginata

Fireworks

Fragrant Bouquet

Fragrant Blue

Fragrant Blue Ribbons

Frisian Waving Steel

• beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

Frisian Pride gets its own post. It has outgrown the largest pot I have for hosta. I have to come up with a larger container or downsize it.

Spring

late spring

This shows how large it is. That is Earth Angel to its left. The sections of fence are 8 feet long and 4 feet high.

Summer, less yellow.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

beverly, I like that you showed all these pictures of Frisian Pride. Even though I tell myself I shouldn't get any more hostas, I keep looking at this one. I like the color, the wavy edges, and the way it falls. Yours is beautiful!

6 years ago

I agree with sandyslopes..Frisian Pride IS special..

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Frisian Pride is amazing, get one if you can! Mine (3 row right) is only two years, but grows like crazy...

and that's what I got in 2016 after a driver had not left a note that he put my parcel in the shop to be taken home...a week in a carton...

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

Beverly, find a bigger pot. Far too pretty to have to divide and wait for it to come back!

Karin, just shows how tough these plants are.

First Love, always first up.

Fireworks

Francee, will have to move it this year as it is being squeezed out.

Francis Williams

Fire Island

Fortunei Aureomarginata

Frost Giant

Fragrant Bouquet

Dave

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

I will try to find a high pot or a column for mine this summer, I think it needs that kind of presentation. I would not plant it in the garden. I have seen that on a picture and it did not look nice with the leaves halfway on the ground.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Karin, your Frisian Pride is another one that's been tempting me every time I see it.

Dave, nice picture of Fire Island.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

beverly, Fragrant Queen resents direct sun. I found out the hard way, till I did a bit of research. And that Frisian Pride IS AWESOME!!!

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Yes, beverly, you are definitely in need of a whiskey barrel. How much sun does that Frisian Pride get? It’s been on my wish list for years, this may become the year to get one. I’m not sure about your Fragrant Queen. It may be as Steve said, too much sun, but yours doesn’t look much like mine. FQ on the right.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

I have a Fragrant Queen too, but only got it this last summer, and the rabbits nibbled it, so it limped along most of the season with only 2 leaves. But I have high hopes, because I think it is truly beautiful! And Fluted Fountain was new this year, but somehow I failed to take a picture of it.

I also have Frosted Dimples, but it has been moved 3 times... so it hasn't ever really looked like much. Sandy - yours is gorgeous!

There are so many from this thread that I just love - and Forbidden Fruit really stands out... all the Frisian's... and Francee - I'm absolutely getting one this year.

Here's Final Summation in May, before it got crispy from the sun (but after some rabbit damage):

Fire Island in April, with it's red petioles:

• mctavish9
    6 years ago

I guess I'll add Frisian Pride to my list. I had it briefly but it died so quickly I figured it was not worth growing. I will have to try again.

• DTeager
    6 years ago

One to add to your beauties. Fantabulous is on the Benedict Award ballot this year. I think it lives up to its name. The edges become a beautiful creamy white; this is the color in May.

I don't have a full library of my hostas here at work, but did find this one.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

That is great to hear. I got Fantabulous last year and now I am especially happy that I did.