Software
Houzz Logo Print
amber_haber

just ripped out ugly green stair carpeting!

8 years ago
Ideas for transformation??

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Do you want to use a runner again? or do you want to have bare stairs? Stair runners will help with wear on the stairs, and also serve as an acoustic buffer to sound of people going up and down the stairs. (Those stair rods are a pricey purchase, too)

  • 8 years ago
    I’m not to sure. I don’t really like those to be honest. I’m not really sure I would find something that I would like. Never really seen them in a house.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You could paint the face white and keep top of steps wood? Seems to be a common update

  • 8 years ago
    This wood is so old it’s coming up with the uninstall of the screws lol
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Amber - that is not good - you probably need a finish contractor to come in and evaluate the wood on the stairs - for structural integrity. If you need to change out the wood - that is going to be a big job -

    Can you take another photo of what you mean by "coming up with the uninstall of the screws"?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Amber, I remembered a question here from awhile back regarding stair runners. I found the link...in case it's any help. Guess you need to deal with the wood first.

    [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/advise-on-wool-sisal-runner-for-stairs-please-help-dsvw-vd~4366617?n=86[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/advise-on-wool-sisal-runner-for-stairs-please-help-dsvw-vd~4366617?n=86)

  • 8 years ago
    Wow thank you so much! I love those dark stairs.
  • 8 years ago
    This is what I mean about the wood being damaged..
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Fill the holes with wood filler and stain the top of the steps darker

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    you may be suprised what a good sanding and filling will do with the added help of a stair finish carpenter tidying things up.


  • 8 years ago
    I fall down stairs a lot, so I would need carpeting or I’d kill myself. Lol.
  • 8 years ago

    When I took the carpet off of my stairs I hired someone to hand scrape and stain the stairs and then I used matching tile (mine is Travertine) on the risers. I am very pleased with the look.

  • 8 years ago
    That looks great! How much did it cost for the staining of the stairs??
  • 8 years ago

    I finished mine, but they were really rough in areas. I heard from others to be careful with wood filler since it frequently takes stain differently and shows. Some said to do a matching filler after staining the stairs. I just left mine a little distressed because it goes with the style of my home. I use stair tread regs. I am really happy with them except the they don't protect the white risers from getting scuffed by people's shoes. Mostly we don't wear shoes in the house, but a few times plumbers or delivery guys have scuffed up the white risers. The stair tread rugs come in many styles.


    I fell down the stairs more with the carpet on.


  • 8 years ago
    Update
  • 8 years ago
    I think the bare stairs look lovely with the wood
  • 8 years ago
    Agreed but I would like to change the wood color
  • 8 years ago
    Amber,
    My apologies. I had this work done in 2010 and the stairs were only a part of the wood work. We also had New hand scraped hard wood floors installed in our office by the same person, so I can’t remember how much it cost. However, the look is great and the stairs haven’t started to show wear in 7 years. We have five adult children, three grands and two large grand-dogs. So - when we have visitors the stairs get quite a bit of use. Best wishes for a great outcome. I really don’t like carpeting on stairs at all. It gets worn and stained.
    Amber Haber thanked Georgia Little
  • 8 years ago
    I would paint the risers white but leave the treads because it matches your railing. Make the treads darker, then you’ll have to change your railing, etc...
    Amber Haber thanked Laurie Hutch
  • 8 years ago

    You have the same wood on my stairs when I pulled up my ugly green carpet. The treads are yummy oak and the risers are crappy pine like yours. Why they didn't use all oak??? I was ecstatic that I had a good wooden staircase that I could refinish and not have to re-carpet. My house is from the 1975. I scrubbed them good with a bleach water solution, puttied over screws in risers, sanded, stained and sealed the wood. I didn't paint my risers, but I would recommend it. Mine stained the same, but I know they are two different woods and the risers don't look as nice as the treads to me. But nobody has said anything and my kids would of. I would of painted the risers, but painted risers remind me of a colonial style staircases and I don't have a colonial home. I did mine 2 years ago and they are not showing any sign of wear.

    Amber Haber thanked functionthenlook
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    few ideas. I happen to love the black and wood together.

    the runner option can be a great look w/painted risers

  • 8 years ago

    White painted risers are perpetually scuffed with black marks from people's shoes. Paint them a darker color if you must paint them.

  • 8 years ago
    my bother did the opposite of Georgia Little: he kept the wood risers and did tile on the tread. It looked good and was cheaper than new treads.
  • 8 years ago
    The reason I chose tile vs paint on the risers is because I didn’t want the scuff marks.
  • 8 years ago

    Didn't read all the comments, but please consider carpet again if you don't wear shoes in your home. We like to go barefoot or in socks, and in our previous home that didn't have a rug, I and my friends have slipped a couple of times on the stairs. It wasn't pleasant. Since we are a no-shoes in the house home, I always make sure that it has carpeting on it, even though look wise, I prefer it without.

  • 8 years ago

    Before and after of my stair update. I'm really happy with the tile risers.

    Before

    After

  • 8 years ago
    Mine was similar, had it stained on site and painted. No rugs, fall hazard on a curved staircase.