Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladyvon

Peacock Blue Kitchen - Paint Selection

13 years ago
I am updating my house one room at a time and its time for the kitchen...yay! I have found a picture of a peacock blue kitchen on Houzz that both my hubby and I love. I am ready to take the color plunge and I am brining my hubby along with me! I have tagged the paint colors that we are considering. Of course, my hubby and I like different options. So, what do you guys think? Which paint option do you guys like best? The cabinets are staying the way they are (its an older home, they fit the style of the house nicely, they are in great condition, and I really like the finish). I tried to take as clear of pictures as I could. The adjoining room will be done in the same peacock-white-wheat color scheme (walls will be light and the peacock will be the draperies and other accents). I've attached a rendering of my vision for the kitchen.

So, what do you think? Which paint color: A, B, C, or D?

Comments (20)

  • 13 years ago
    Gosh, the colors are hard to distinguish when I look at my screen. I would pick something that matches something you have as a basis, like the drapes you have picked out or any dishes or accent pieces. Which shade matches the drapes the best? I really love your cabinets - did you fix them up or did they come that way? Mine are the same color but have a cheap trim around them (1970's) and I want to replace the trim with a 1 x 2 strip, but don't know if that is feasible.
  • 13 years ago
    I would likely choose the A color. I find the others too "electric". Have you considered a green to go with your cupboards? Have you already purchased or made the drapes? If so, you would have to work with the shade in the drape fabric. Have fun with your project.
  • 13 years ago
    The kitchen will have white drapes (see image 4). The family room (which is adjoining) will have drapes to coordinate with the blue in the kitchen. I'm going to make the drapes. So, once the kitchen is done I will find a fabric to go with the paint. I know what I am looking for so it won't be too much of a problem to find a coordinate.
  • 13 years ago
    Hey Lizzie, I understand completely. I think that's why I am leaning towards "A" which is toned down version of "D".
  • 13 years ago
    A!!
  • 13 years ago
    Hey Sumo82! My cabinets are original to the house. I haven't done anything special to them. They're just clean. The previous owner scrubbed them good and changed out the hardware before we bought the house. That's all that's been done to them. :-)

    And we have decided to go with the top color ("A"). Can't wait to get started with this project! :-D
  • 13 years ago
    Buy the drapes first and match. The drapes are a lot harder to find than a paint color.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, drapes or fabric first. We recently painted our sons room with his colour choices and it was extremely difficult to find drapes to match. Fortunately, subtle variations can be made to your can of paint.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You will be unhappy with any of the colors because you cannot see them on samples that small..ALWAYS buy a sample or quart and paint poster boards(2'x3') (2 coats) of each color now mover them around the room during the day and at night. Color is all about reflecting and absorbing light so each area/wall will look a different color and then a different color again in the day and at night. AND only look at one color at a time..otherwise you fool your eye.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Along with what Barbara Griffith Designs stated, also take into account that colors on adjacent walls bounce off one another, creating new color. Even the outside reflects in and affects wall colors. My last home had been previously painted a pink-beige throughout. It was located in a woodsy area. In summer, the green from leaves bounced off the interior creating the most awful color.
  • 13 years ago
    I appreciate your advice about purchasing the fabric first and normally I would agree. However, it is critical to get the paint color right FIRST. And Barbara, I already planned on doing that. Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think everyone is forgetting that the kitchen drapes will be white. See picture #4. :-D
  • 13 years ago
    I love it Lady Von
    Lady Von thanked Myrtle October
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like two the colors under color "D" the best...I know that's not a choice, just my opinion. Of course, that's on my monitior. I agree with the comment above. You can buy small samples and paint a portion of the wall before committing to the time and monty of a gallon. Remember that dark colors dry differently, so you may not like a color until it's dry.
    Lady Von thanked peoplerpeople
  • 13 years ago
    I like color "A" ... from what I see, it is the most toned-down shade.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the A. How did it come out, Lady Von?
  • 13 years ago
    Unfortunately, we have had to postpone this project. You know how life happens. But I can't wait to see this project through to completion. I really want the house to be on point come the holidays. But first, life dictates that my homeschool room gets completed first. That's another post altogether!
  • 12 years ago
    Well, my kitchen flooded TWICE earlier this year. The water from the second flood made it across my living room and almost to my front door. Sigh. So, redoing the entire main level became a necessity. Oh, two emergency surgeries and a 3-month premature baby later the majority of our main level has been completed. Because we went with one paint color for the entire main level we stayed with a light color (our living room faces almost due north = no direct sunlight). So, in the end I did get my blue kitchen. Its just not the blue I had planned. But I love it none the less. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Oops. I posted the same picture twice. I was just thinking about my original paint options. I realized I used a paint color similar to "A" in the nursery. I love it of course. Half of my house is painted some shade of blue. :-)