Software
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

3”x9” Tile Backsplash - 1/2 or 1/3 Offset?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I always assumed that I would use a typical size subway tile with a running bond/1/2 offset; however, a tile I like also comes in 3”x9”. What kind of offset looks the best with that size of tile?

I have a 40” inch window opening, will have no wood trim, and left 8” from cabinets to window opening. I do not want skinny slivers of tile at the window.

Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    Any offset can work, even a stacked, no offset. As to what might look best in your space, I’d need to see an image. There’s a mental math that takes place figuring out how much open space there is, how long your longest uninterrupted space is, how high the cabinets, etc... There’s also a stylistic factor; no offset gives a modern vibe, while 1/2 offset is solidly traditional. The 1/3 offset can look odd if you don’t have enough rows showing.

    Post an image of your space. If you’re not sure how to do this, check out the New to Kitchens thread.

    rantontoo thanked eam44
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Speaking of math, you have 8” oF wall space and 9” tiles. If you don’t want skinny slivers of tile, you’ve got to talk with your installer to see what he plans to do about it. Installers are not mind readers as a rule. Even with planning and communication, [things like this happen.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-kitchen-backsplash-i-can-either-cry-or-laugh-dsvw-vd~4293827)

    rantontoo thanked eam44
  • 8 years ago

    I like no offset or 1/2 offset, and have used both, but I have never seen a 1/3 offset installation that appealed to me. The 1/3 offset just looks wrong to me!

    rantontoo thanked chispa
  • 8 years ago

    The 1/3 offset would bother me. Just looking at the picture above bothers me. I also don’t like the look of no offset so my vote would be half.

    rantontoo thanked mommyniki
  • 8 years ago

    All I see in the 1/3 offset is the stair-step effect it creates. I focus on those grout lines and don't really see the tile.

    rantontoo thanked chispa
  • 8 years ago
    I hope you'll consider stack set! It would look great with that size tile!
    rantontoo thanked Peter Roehrich
  • 8 years ago

    A 1/3 is sometimes suggested due to lipage. I'm not a huge fan of the look, but I would consider it with the longer tiles.

    rantontoo thanked mark_rachel
  • 8 years ago

    If you use good quality tiles and a good installer lipage should not be a problem.

    rantontoo thanked chispa
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for all the comments...never even thought about lipage. I will post the space once I get a few more tile samples and my doors back...major issues with profile cutter and finishing....big, big grrrrrr and sigh!

    Rebunky: thank you fir the photo...it helps to see an installed 1/3 offset. Your backsplash looks lovely.

  • 8 years ago

    I have a similar dilemma with 3.5 x 14 subway tile - since this is so much longer I would assume 1/2 offset would look weird? Does anyone have experience with this size tile?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We installed these 4" x 10" tiles ourselves, and changed from a 1/2 offset to 1/3 at the last minute. I was not confident in my ability to get the offset perfect, so I thought the ~3" offset would help disguise layout imperfections. Our range backsplash is similar in appearance to the photo above. I prefer the randomness, as no layout was going to allow perfect symmetry there, while not causing slivers elsewhere. Sometimes you just have to work with the wall space :)

    Edit: the backsplash/counter joint has since been caulked, and the walls painted BM Stonington Gray