Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twojules

Front Door Help

twojules
6 years ago
Want to replace our current front door and leave off the screen door. We live in Florida, so would also appreciate input on the best material to use for the door. Don’t want glass. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Before you choose a door, you must do something with those columns. Paint them the color of the siding. They over power the entrance and the entire house.

• Annette Vusich
    6 years ago
    Take the paper out of the window please.
  • Thomas
    6 years ago
    Glass would be ideal, but wood could work as well. You have to be careful about the humidity and how much sunlight hits the door if you choose wood because it will warp and fade in color. Your best bet it a door with tempered glass during hurricane season.
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi. As a former Floridian, I recommend a fiberglass door. I am partial to an 8-panel but there are tons of styles to choose from. I highly recommend an outswing door as they are far more secure and there's no snow in the way in Florida!

Also, the photo doesn't show the entire front elevation-- front columns may be just fine in white... plus, it's Florida :)

• tatts
    6 years ago

Annette: That 'paper' looks as though it might be a Mohu Leaf TV antenna. Yes, it could be mounted more gracefully (and inside the plantation shutters). I have one, but it's in a 3rd-floor window and not really visible (and they work great).

Judy G's right. Those columns are so oversized that they clearly look fake; it's not them that's holding up that roof (it's the 6x6 deep inside them). Minimize their appearance with paint to match the house (or better yet, replace with smaller). And while you're at it, paint over that ludicrous fake keystone between them.

• mimimomy
    6 years ago

If I could "like" Kelly's comment ten times more, I would. This is a very typical Florida home. There are many design elements used in stucco that are reminiscent of traditional architectural elements. For instance, quoin corners, arches, window trims, etc., all rendered in stucco rather than in wood or "real" stone.

Florida architecture is totally different (generally) than anywhere else I've lived. There are very few "northern" homes there, and they are usually not nearly as desirable from a resale standpoint than a lovely concrete block and stucco hipped roof home, such as the one shown in the pictures.

Before undertaking the painting of columns and keystones, I'd put in the new door and paint it a distinctive color. Depending on style and color, it may become the focal point without additional alterations to the home.

Just my thought having lived in Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Florida, Iowa, and Kansas!

• twojules
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you minimomy and thank you Kelly. The “paper” in the window is indeed an antenna, we just “cut the cord”. It’s temporary and I completely forgot to remove it before taking the picture. We were only seeking advice on replacing the front door. We think that will indeed change the look without doing anything with the columns. We just moved here from NY.
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

Hi twojules, congrats on cutting the cord! We did that too :) Congratulations on moving to Florida. I hope you love it! The year we move to Florida we had just under 192 inches of snow in NY.

Last year, we relocated with my husband's job from the home we had built in Florida and I thought I'd live in forever :( It was sad, but life's an adventure, and I sure hope you enjoy this new chapter in yours.

Here's my old front door... I don't think the blue will work for you, but it might give you an idea of how a bright color can draw attention :) I'd love to see a picture once you've got it in!

• Cait Dillavou
    6 years ago

I think a change to the front door would really modernize the exterior! bye bye dolphins...
    I think another reason it's not cohesive is there are SO MANY PANES right now, on the door and all windows. You have beautiful plantation shutters on the inside that are competing with the panes. if possible I'd try to remove the panes and go with a solid color door. Keep it simple!

Post a picture of what you decide! losing the dolphins in itself will be an exterior win!